• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hypervelocity bards (WAS Fixing the bard's action economy (quick suggestion))

By the rules as written, a bard is able to do an absurd number of things with his mouth all at once. He can cast a spell with verbal components and his flute as a magical focus WHILE ALSO composing and reciting an inspiring ditto to bolster his comrades' performance (Bardic Inspiration) WHILE ALSO wittily insulting his opponent's pants in order to distract him (Cutting Words) from Counterspelling the wizard.

This is ridiculous, and it happens because WotC basically pays zero attention to what is physically happening in-game during a combat round, as long as it meets their action economy standards.

But the thought occurs: why not just add the restrictions back in? Bardic Inspiration can go from "as a bonus action" to "as a bonus action and when your mouth is not otherwise occupied in spellcasting or speaking"; Cutting Words can likewise can go from "as a reaction" to "as a reaction to a situation you see developing, if you did not cast a spell with verbal components this round". It weakens bards slightly from a purely mechanistic perspective, but that's a small price to pay for not having an utterly stupid combination of class abilities wrecking everyone's suspension of disbelief and the DM's ability to describe what is actually happening.

The bard is doing an optimal using of its action, bonus action and reaction.
A round is long enough to walk 30 and make 1 to 5 attacks.
RAW consider 6 seconds, but it can take more.
A bard is also a master of arcane magic. Magic can be surprising.
And finally note that the cherished Warlord will need to do as much use of its actions to be effective.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
The bard is doing an optimal using of its action, bonus action and reaction.
A round is long enough to walk 30 and make 1 to 5 attacks.
RAW consider 6 seconds, but it can take more.
A bard is also a master of arcane magic. Magic can be surprising.
And finally note that the cherished Warlord will need to do as much use of its actions to be effective.
Nice! We were running low on Warlord threads.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
5E allows you to hold a spell focus in the "free hand" with which you're performing a somatic component, if that's what you're alluding to. For a bard, it looks just like playing a musical instrument in real life.

Except that most instruments are not one-handed (those who play them so are novelties), and this is all being done while holding a shield. Sure, you can wave your violin at someone, but there's no connection to actually playing it (you don't even need to be proficient in the instrument you are using as a focus).

schnee

First Post
By the rules as written, a bard is able to do an absurd number of things with his mouth all at once. He can cast a spell with verbal components and his flute as a magical focus WHILE ALSO composing and reciting an inspiring ditto to bolster his comrades' performance (Bardic Inspiration) WHILE ALSO wittily insulting his opponent's pants in order to distract him (Cutting Words) from Counterspelling the wizard.

(ahem)

Here is the all-time loser
In tight high water pants
He sees his minions pop off
Getting stomped like ants

We're the all time winners
We have you by the - gnards
Soon you're gonna be buried
Under your own front yard

(bad-ass flute solo)

If you haven't played a bard named Jethro, you're...way too young.

Except that most instruments are not one-handed (those who play them so are novelties), and this is all being done while holding a shield. Sure, you can wave your violin at someone, but there's no connection to actually playing it (you don't even need to be proficient in the instrument you are using as a focus).
Then don't let 'em use a shield while playing. Only valor bards are proficient with them anyway. This does not strike me as an insurmountable flaw in bardic spellcasting.

Staffan

Legend

You can't cast spells requiring somatic components while wielding a weapon and a shield, unless (a) you have the Warcaster feat, or (b) you're using the "holy symbol on shield" loophole meant for paladins and clerics, and which doesn't apply to bards. Or, I guess, (c) have some other weird exception that most bards don't.

Lanliss

Explorer
You can't cast spells requiring somatic components while wielding a weapon and a shield, unless (a) you have the Warcaster feat, or (b) you're using the "holy symbol on shield" loophole meant for paladins and clerics, and which doesn't apply to bards. Or, I guess, (c) have some other weird exception that most bards don't.

You have not heard of the Marvelous Morten Morklesniff's Bagpipe Shield?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

Nope -- I'm not talking about weapons at all, or weird loopholes. None of a, b, or c is relevant.

Spellcasting focus is a musical instrument (PHB 53). Has nothing to do with the tool proficiencies in musical instruments (PHB 52), which are the instruments you know how to play (except when using the perform skill, which is another weakness). Focus requires one hand, which can be the somatic components hand (PHB 203), but has nothing to do with being able to play it.

I get that it's not that big a deal for others, but it's such a lazily written rule (in that there is no way to explain what is going on in the game world with the bard's arcane focus without special pleading or handwaving) that for me, I have to hold my nose and look the other way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads