I could use some advice

ForceUser

Explorer
I'm going to give it a shot. But he won't give me a single detail of what the campaign is about, other than "No, you can't do this. There's a reason but I can't tell you. No, you can't do that either, and I can't tell you why." So I've told him "okay look, I'll give it a try your way but I may or may not like the character you insist I play" - mostly because I have relinquished all creative input regarding said character. I don't know the race, class, nothing...all I know is the character will be female because he asked if I wanted to be male or female.

What sort of campaign idea, I ask you, is so blindingly stellar that it requires such absolute control over who plays what character? We will see. I'll give it a shot, but I have reserved the right to toss the character after a couple of sessions if I dislike it.

Mr. Grimm

First Post
ForceUser said:
I'm going to give it a shot. But he won't give me a single detail of what the campaign is about, other than "No, you can't do this. There's a reason but I can't tell you. No, you can't do that either, and I can't tell you why." So I've told him "okay look, I'll give it a try your way but I may or may not like the character you insist I play" - mostly because I have relinquished all creative input regarding said character. I don't know the race, class, nothing...all I know is the character will be female because he asked if I wanted to be male or female.

What sort of campaign idea, I ask you, is so blindingly stellar that it requires such absolute control over who plays what character? We will see. I'll give it a shot, but I have reserved the right to toss the character after a couple of sessions if I dislike it.

Sounds like the right plan to me. He's got his little surprise and he's put a lot into it. Go with the flow until you hear the falls.

But you have got to post back to tell what all your DM's fuss is about. (It wouldn't surprise me if you'll be playing the same character as someone in the other half of your original group.)

hong

WotC's bitch
ForceUser said:

You could think of it as playing in an extended Convention adventure, if you like. I suspect the two groups are going to end up fighting each other eventually, but I'm paranoid. ;)

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I think it's one thing to have the DM say: "I could really use a Human Fighter with a professional military background" and quite another to have the DM say "I have a Human Fighter1 with the Imroved Initiative, Weapon Focus: Halberd, and Expertise feats, with the following stats, 2 ranks in this and that, 5'9" tall, which must be played by you, Jimmy!"

Some customization is just fun, even if it's simply taking ranks in jump instead of climb, or choosing a warhammer as a primary weapon for a change.

Too summarize: I too have problems seeing why it must be so rigid as ForceUser makes it come across.

Rav

Dr Midnight

Explorer
LostSoul said:

Yeah, because it's not like the game belongs to the group. No, it's all up to the one guy with the DMG and nobody else. Nobody else has any say.

Right...

That's not what I said at all, is it? Nnnnno, it's not.

Besides, it's up to the guy who runs the damn game. If he's doing this, he's doing it for a reason, which means he's put some thought into his game. Want to whine and snivel? Take your dog-eared PHB elsewhere and find a group that'll put up with that.

I do apologize to forceuser for perhaps being a little harsh, but I am indeed sick of players trying to change the game, and whining if they can't. I see it all the time. I saw it when Reapersaurus played in my Game of Death.

Both sides need to have fun for it to be a good game, of course, but if you can't enjoy the game because you didn't get to create the kind of character you wanted, I won't cry for you as you pick up your dice bag and go.

It's the DM's world. Play in it or take off.

Last edited:

ForceUser

Explorer
Rest assured Dr Midnight, I would take off. Your attitude sucks. It's not all about the DM and his priceless "vision." It's about a GROUP of people playing together, for the purpose of having fun together. The DM is but one player of many.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Dr Midnight said:
Both sides need to have fun for it to be a good game, of course, but if you can't enjoy the game because you didn't get to create the kind of character you wanted, I won't cry for you as you pick up your dice bag and go.

It's the DM's world. Play in it or take off.

I think it's okay to have a PC veto'd for not fitting into the campaign world. However, not having any say in the class, background, weapon choice, race, skills, feats etc. could be very appalling (no, I didn't forget an "e") (edit: However, I did forget an "l" :) ). I know that I could give one of my players a druid, and he would quit. Another would choke on a bard, while yet another would be aghast with playing a gnome.

Some of us are not actors, Dr Midnight, and just being told to play a role up to a standard, instead of free form, could be very annoying.

Rav

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
ForceUser said:
Your attitude sucks. It's not all about the DM and his priceless "vision."

Not ALL about his vision, perhaps, but more about his "priceless 'vision'" than the players' petty munchkinism.

Do what you want... Stop whining to him is what I'm saying.

Humanophile

First Post
Please clear this up for me

I was starting out on the DM's side, but more and more I'm seeing him as someome who's trying to make up for a loss of control at one time by overcompensating. Especially with all the little things you added in. Pregenerated characters are fine if you have a specific plot in mind, or you want to try something sneaky, but if he's not letting you chose a who's who, or even randomizing it, it strikes me as "this is how you play, fit with it", which I would only do as a playtest trial. Letting you chose your character's sex further muddies the "I'm making you play this for the plot" line.

Keep us informed how this shapes up, as this seems so crazy there almost has to be some point to it.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Dr Midnight said:
than the players' petty munchkinism.

:eek: ????? :eek:

DM: "What? You want to play a Half Orc Paladin instead of the pregenerated Human fighter I made for you? Never, you petty munchkin!"

Wait a minute... this is just silly... are you trolling Dr Midnight? Because having the choice of which character you play being portrayed as munckinism seems silly to me.

Rav

(edit grammar)

Last edited:

Remove ads