• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I don't know how to run lurkers

Mengu

First Post
When someone becomes invisible (PC or monster), I replace the mini with a glass bead. This is usually a fairly strong reminder that the creature is invisible. And I'm pretty good at looking at the board and ignoring the glass beads when making decisions.

If someone becomes hidden using cover, I don't replace the mini. I leave it where it's at, because a monster lurking around a corner, is no longer lurking once a character turns the corner. When you lose cover, you lose the hidden condition.

When someone uses total concealment to become hidden, like with drow darkness, I will again typically replace the mini with a glass bead.

The way I play lurkers is to almost always start them off the map. They might drop from a whole in the ceiling, climb up the ledge of a cliff, fly in out of a dark corner, or pop out of a barrel. And depending on the encounter, this could happen in the beginning of an encounter, or a couple rounds into the encounter.

Also my lurker design usually allows them scary action economy on their first turn after they reveal themselves, especially if they are primarily melee creatures (though I tend to like giving them something they can do at range). They are usually fast. They usually have a limited use ability that lets them move or shift X squares and attack at any point. And they usually have a minor action encounter power that will be useful to them in that first round.

For instance, if I was designing a lurker Drider, his first turn might go something like move action to move/climb 8, standard action to Paralytic Grasp, deal limited expression damage, daze, grab, and shift 3 squares with the grabbed creature, minor action to pop darkness.

Lurkers need long strings of actions to feel like a lurker, and to feel like they are doing their job. If you are not opposed to giving action points to standard creatures, giving the occasional action point to a lurker (maybe they can use only to take an extra move action) can also help make them feel more lurkery.

Also worth noting, lurkers often need the right terrain elements to function. You can have a choker hiding under a balcony on a shadowy street, a crocodile hiding among driftwood in a murky river, or a darkmantle hiding among stalactites in a cavern. It's hard to use a lurker just for the sake of using a lurker. It needs to be designed as part of the encounter.

Quickleaf

Legend
For you GMs who remove Lurkers when they're Hidden from all of the PCs, do you allow the players to do the same if their PCs become Hidden from all of the NPCs?

Absolutely not. Because I trust my ability to play a monster's ignorance, whereas I don't trust the players ability to separate in and out of game information in the heat of a fight.

As a player I have a stealth optimized ranger, and when I go stealth I flip a plastic dice box over the mini to remind the DM and other players. It works very well.

Last edited:

jester_gl

First Post
I have one problem when I use lurker and it is that they are sometimes too effective in their hiding. They pop in and out, do tons of damage but never get attacked. Then the fight is over but my sole lurker is still at full hp.

What would you do? I guess it depends on the monster. I had a spriggan which kept on attacking because he is only invisible when adjacent to players, but last session I had a Quasit run away laughing like mad, still at full hp.

Should he come back to ruin their day later?

Nullzone

Explorer
Sure! You could also try to work in some "anti-tactics" based on what the players did during the encounter, as though the quasit learned from what he saw.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I pull the creature off the board and keep track of it.

I play lurkers like smokers and spitters from the left 4 dead series vs mode.

Stealthfully get into an advantageous position, make attack, retreat if possible, move to new possition, repeat. I try to have them stealthed as the party walks by so they can attack the squishies in the rear

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Before a lurker jumps in, I wait a couple of rounds, but slip in environmental clues that something is out there. This freaks the players out. We've got some folks that you can pull their chain this way. So when the lurker finally does pop out and hit something, everyone that can get to it, does so. The lurker usually doesn't survive to slink off for a second go. If it does, it is so beat up that it decides that discretion is the better part of valor.

I hadn't noticed this parttern until this topic got started. I was trying to remember how we handled "restealth," and realized it hadn't come up yet in 4E. :D

Maybe when we get to more frequent invisibility, it will matter.

Remove ads