I have Adventure Vault 2

CapnZapp

Legend
Items these days can be so character specific that it hard to find something that I really want to give PCs as a group.
This.

Really a problem for a DM like me who refuse to do treasure the wish list way. I want treasure with individual items all the players will want to fight over! Items you can use whether you're a weapon or implement user; whether you're using armor or not; regardless of which stat you attack using.

(And no I'm not talking about neck item amulets, thank you very much.)

I want nothing short of non-generic items that work for the generic adventurer, in fact!

<ok, so back on topic. Rant's over>

Baumi

Adventurer
Wow, this is the first 4E Book that I'm not psyched about (normally they are great at hyping their product). No new Mundane Items, no Alchemy, no Artifacts and no Superior Implements* is a real unsell for me. :(

* I was extremely curious about these and now we have to wait nearly a year because of Space Problems...

CapnZapp

Legend
Lair items: Woot! The delicate balance of gold vs character power is thoroughly destroyed for no better reason than to add some mechanics for something that could be roleplayed... and in the same breath we see the ultimate DM railroad item!
I don't see why anything is destroyed because some items are supposed to be lair only.

My question is instead: if these items are bound to the lair in which they're found, how do you ever ship them home to your own lair?!? And if you can move them, then what prevents evil ninjas from stealing yours?

CapnZapp

Legend
Rats.

I'm still incredibly bitter that a game with eight different "heavy blade" class swords still hasn't got a katana. Its almost vaguely embarassing that a game with specific rules for an egyptian short sword, bladed boomerangs, and a staff with an axe head on both ends, has managed to avoid anything hinting of asian weaponry other than, oddly enough, shuriken.

And don't try to tell me its just a longsword. We've clearly left that level of granularity far, far behind somewhere between the short sword, longsword, bastard sword, greatsword, and fullblade.

I am apparently more grumpy about this than I realized.
I believe katanas are implemented as reskinned existing weaponry. So expecting to find them as unique weaponry is/was probably unfounded.

If D&D has made a conscious decision to leave the eastern fantasy behind, I might not agree, but I can certainly respect the decision.

CapnZapp

Legend
So it's a new item slot. Sweet.
Well, I do not agree it is so sweet.

In fact, I think it's outright power creep.

However, it's in the book, so there's little I can do.

Except houseruling "when you get a tattoo, you use up the slot corresponding to wherever you place the tattoo (using the arms slot for a biceps tattoo etc)".

I'm disappointed the rule didn't specify tattoos using up slots, but then again, I realize that if I'm going to be disappointed each time WotC sells new books by powercreepy better options I have a whole lot of disappointment coming up...

Remove ads