• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "I Have...the Power!" - Your Picks for Next Power Source

TwinBahamut

First Post
Psionics is a given, though I hope it moves closer to concepts like meditation, eastern mysticism, geomancy, astrology, and yoga (the kind of yoga in which you affect fate through physical discipline).

A Beast Totem power source would be cool, and it would be a great way to bring back the Barbarian, Dragon Shaman, and Totemist. Especially the Totemist.

I would also like a power source built around pacts with powerful elemental beings, with an emphasis on summoning them.

A Music power source would be interesting.

I don't really want a Nature source. I think it would be best if Druids get left where they belong, as a subset of Clerics.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
I stand by my suggestion of 'Artifice', rolling Eberron artificers and FR gnometech and warforged and alchemy and eldritch machines all together in a nice little package.
That's what they'll do if they're smart. Then cake will be served.

Far Realms would be absolutely splendid...save that I want it to have a book all its own.

Aristotle

First Post
I love the idea of power sources. I don't want to see a lot of power sources that overlap too heavily. Ki seems overly martial to me, while mind over body mysticism fits psionics better. I'd rather see the monk made psionic and included with that power source, which I assume will be among the first added. I'd also be interested in...

Passion/Emotion (Bard, Barbarian?)
Artifice (the Eberron class, alchemist, tinker)
Spirit/Soul (shaman, druid?)
Illusion (illusionist, ?)

Other, less interesting to me but with some potential options might be...
Crystal
Dragon

And of course...
reprint, and reimagination, of some of the alternate magic systems already published.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Simia Saturnalia said:
I stand by my suggestion of 'Artifice', rolling Eberron artificers and FR gnometech and warforged and alchemy and eldritch machines all together in a nice little package.
That's what they'll do if they're smart. Then cake will be served.

The cake is a lie!

Love the idea of an artifice power source, by the way, especially all the ideas that have been tossed around in the Martial Controller thread. If only the Artificer class in Eberron could be more Agatha Heterodyne and less Did-WOTC-seriously-make-a-class-that's-more-powerful-than-a-WIZARD?!

- Truenames
- Art/Emotion
- Nature
- Psionic (including Ki)
- Spirit & Soul

Art/Emotion might overlap with Spirit & Soul, as might Truenames.

A lot of this is just "magic", but arcane and divine are also just magic...

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Klaus said:
According the the more recent fluff from WotC, psionics = ki.
Ki is a lot of things. I could see using it for martial or psionics without a hitch, and for most others with half a minute of justification. It makes me hope that we don't see one explicitly called Ki.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Merlin the Tuna said:
Ki is a lot of things. I could see using it for martial or psionics without a hitch, and for most others with half a minute of justification. It makes me hope that we don't see one explicitly called Ki.

It doesn't matter much to me what ki represents, or even if it's a power source at all, as long as we get a bevy of orientalist character and campaign options in some future publication. That said, I think a ki power source is likely to come up if Wizards produces an orientalist splat book. In my campaign, psionics, binding, truenaming, and arcane magic are all different paths to the same thing. Anyone who uses those tools is an onmyoji, just like any honorable, martial character can be a samurai, regardless of class or "power source." I'm honestly not enthused about the idea of ki proper, but I do want some Asian goodies.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
What I'd like to see?

Nature
Psionics
Alchemy/Artifice
Ancestors
Animism
Order & Entropy
Truenames/Words of Creation
Sephiroth & Qliphoth