• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I like Mike (Mearls that is)

Mercule

Adventurer
Henry said:
One thing that doesn't come across well on the internet is that sometimes when people are bashing other people, they're bashing REAL PEOPLE, most of whom are actually pretty nice folks that you would be honored to sit with at a gaming table.... That's why I never slam anyone if I can help it, and why I make the same suggestion to everyone, because you never know when you're going to meet that person in real life, and feel like a world-class dumbass for being mean to someone you really turn out liking.

Ayup. I can be pretty hard on certain ideas (I freely admit to being pretty opinionated), but I try real hard not to confuse the ideas with the person typing them.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Mystery Man said:
These monster redevolopment articles must have been met with some serious negativity since there hasn't been one in over a month. At least it is my sincere hope that we never see another one ever again.

Weird, because as much as I did not like the changes themselves, I still like the articles and the food for thought they gave me.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The advantage of having been friends with Mike for close to ten years (he used to be in NH and Boston) is that we have a life-sized photograph posted of him in my game room. The women in my game are in love with it, of course, but even the guys use it as an altar to ask "WWMMD?"

And I can't believe I didn't see the guy once at GenCon!

Kunimatyu

First Post
Mystery Man said:
He didn't officially change anything for the record. The new rust monster idea isn't in the SRD or in any new rule book that I know of. These monster redevolopment articles must have been met with some serious negativity since there hasn't been one in over a month. At least it is my sincere hope that we never see another one ever again.

Me, I hope we see a new one every week. I -want- more dialogue about revamping 'classic' monsters that don't actually play that well.

mcrow

Explorer
Henry said:
One thing that doesn't come across well on the internet is that sometimes when people are bashing other people, they're bashing REAL PEOPLE, most of whom are actually pretty nice folks that you would be honored to sit with at a gaming table.

I think more people should think like this. I have no problem with people bashing ideas and thoughts, but bashing someone as a person just sucks.

Kevin S. from Palladium is a prime example. I have now had the chance to meet Kevin a couple times and he is really a nice guy and is very passionate about his company and his fans.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Piratecat said:
...we have a life-sized photograph posted of him in my game room. The women in my game are in love with it, of course, but even the guys use it as an altar to ask "WWMMD?"

Go, son -- say three "Hail Gygaxes," and min/max no more. :)

Attachments

• WWMMD.jpg
    WWMMD.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 257

Mystery Man

First Post
el-remmen said:
Weird, because as much as I did not like the changes themselves, I still like the articles and the food for thought they gave me.

I agree, food for thought is good, even if the concept is wrong. :cool: :p :D

occam

Adventurer
Viking Kitten said:
I don't always agree with his ideas either, but I greatly appreciate that he and other wotc developers are trying to make D&D a better game through their analysis and player feedback.

Absolutely. There are some things Mike has done that I really don't like, but I appreciate his efforts in pushing D&D mechanics in novel ways. Sometimes that results in things I find synthetic and overly metagamey, but other times you get something awesomely cool that no one has done well before.

occam

Adventurer
el-remmen said:

Agreed. The articles are a lot of fun to read, even if I don't like all the changes.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Mystery Man said:
These monster redevolopment articles must have been met with some serious negativity since there hasn't been one in over a month.
Or, alternately, the biggest convention of the year for WotC came up in the last month and preparations, the convention and recovery time have eaten into the time that would have been spent on that.

If you don't want to read an article discussing ideas, don't read them. He wasn't changing the game, he was just illustrating the design process. Anyone getting violently offended by a discussion of game design ideas needs to take a walk around the block and chill out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads