• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I like Mike (Mearls that is)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thunderfoot said:
I can be charming or a total jerk depending upon my mood and can suck in a crowd if I so choose, but you just kind of show up and steal the spotlight, just by showing up.
Seriously, man, it's the lack of pants. The lack of pants does it every time.

Meeting you was a delight. Of course, I say that knowing exactly how many times you helped me get excrutiatingly killed in Paranoia, but still. . .

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Nellisir said:
I gamed with him once, before he moved west. He DMed a short Arcana Unearthed scenario that was alot of fun, and the group spent some time discussing rule design. I like the guys I normally game with, but most of them are just there to kill stuff for 4 hours; not interested in rules/balance/design questions.

That's fun for a while, but at some point it becomes a drag on the game, in my opinion. I know Sam Witt and I probably bored the ever-living hell out of our group after a few sessions of trade talk and game design mumbo jumbo.

Pants

First Post
gizmo33 said:
If he thinks that the bulk of the internet is "negative",
The bulk of the internet IS negative, I can state that as a fact. :)

and I'm sure that the bulk of my comments regarding the rust monster redesign were negative - then I have the feeling that I contributed to the "negativity".
Really depends upon how you phrased said comments. There's a big difference between feedback (whether it's criticism or not) and 'lolz mike maerls iz teh suxx0rz fur mesing with teh rust monstar!!111oneone!111'

Akrasia

Procrastinator
It is always important to keep in mind that criticising someone's ideas is not the same thing as criticising that person.

Because of the nature of the internet (the fact that we're communicating primarily via messages concerning specific topics, and thus lack a 'broader sense' or understanding of each other), this distinction is sometimes forgotten, or not appreciated in the first place.

(As for Mike Mearls's stuff, while I disagree with many of his views on game design, I think that DCC2 -- Lost Vault of Tzthar Rho is really very good.)

Odhanan

Adventurer
Some people also forget about politeness and are really rude with people they don't know too, Akrasia, don't you think?

The last one I got was "your idea sucks because visibly you don't know anything about what you're talking about". ... Excuse me!? :confused:

Nellisir

Hero
d20Dwarf said:
That's fun for a while, but at some point it becomes a drag on the game, in my opinion. I know Sam Witt and I probably bored the ever-living hell out of our group after a few sessions of trade talk and game design mumbo jumbo.

It'd depend on the group, wouldn't it? In this case, I was gaming with some of his friends, and they were at least as involved as I was.

mearls

Hero
Whoah, talk about ego boosts! Thanks, dudes, I really appreciate it. I remember one of the groups I ran through the delve mentioned that they'd post about it on EN World, so thanks!

There hasn't been monster makeover because I've been too lazy and busy to write one. Also, I usually write them during lunch at work, but we've spent the past week or so using lunch time to play games. Oh, it's a hard life I lead.

The negativity comment has nothing to do with the response to the makeovers. It's more about people who just have to chime in to a thread and remind us that whatever we're talking about sucks. I'm sick of pointless, unfounded negativity.

But anyway, this thread was a nice pick-me-up after watching the Red Sox put out zero effort tonight in a loss to the M's. Thanks!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
James, as a moderator here, I fully intend to sign you up for "instant notification" for every single 4e thread that spring up from this conversation. Booyah!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads