• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I like Mike (Mearls that is)

Mystery Man

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
If you don't want to read an article discussing ideas, don't read them. He wasn't changing the game, he was just illustrating the design process. Anyone getting violently offended by a discussion of game design ideas needs to take a walk around the block and chill out.

Who said I was violently offended? I just didn't like them. I can't say I don't like them? :confused:

mcrow

Explorer
Mystery Man said:
Who said I was violently offended? I just didn't like them. I can't say I don't like them? :confused:

I might be wrong, but I don't think he meant you specificly but all those who are upset over it.

Glyfair

Explorer
Henry said:
One thing that doesn't come across well on the internet is that sometimes when people are bashing other people, they're bashing REAL PEOPLE, most of whom are actually pretty nice folks that you would be honored to sit with at a gaming table.

Plus, one thing I've noticed is that a lot of the "total jerks" online (especially gamers) are great people in person. I know at least one person online who regularly gets banned on forums, yet everyone I know that has met him states he is great in person.

A lot of people have different personalities online than they do in person.

(Not that I'm applying this to Mike, because he doesn't come across as anything worse than an analyst online).

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mystery Man said:

To be fair, he did say, "anyone who got offended." and I think spoke with a generic "you." Internet vagueness and all that...:lol

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mystery Man said:

Nobody said *you* were, specifically. You indicated unnamed folks who were "seriously offended". He indicated unnamed "anyone violently offended". Not the cleanest match, but close enough. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't assume it was thrown at you :)

gizmo33

First Post
Umbran said:
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't assume it was thrown at you :)

"Anyone who uses the word 'shoe' in a grammatically incorrect fashion is a feeble-minded kobold."

Now honestly - even though you know objectively that this particular shoe doesn't fit, doesn't the context of my statement make you wonder whether or not I'm criticizing you - even if it's mistaken? (Since kobolds are geniuses, and imaginary, maybe it's not even a criticism?)

Given the general nature of some of Mike's comments - and the context of "negativity" and "violently" I think those of us who disagreed with Mike are left wondering what exactly he's talking about - and whether any of this is referring to us. If he thinks that the bulk of the internet is "negative", and I'm sure that the bulk of my comments regarding the rust monster redesign were negative - then I have the feeling that I contributed to the "negativity". Personally, I don't think the shoe fits but I'm not sure if what I think is all there is to this.

Piratecat said:
The advantage of having been friends with Mike for close to ten years (he used to be in NH and Boston) is that we have a life-sized photograph posted of him in my game room. The women in my game are in love with it, of course, but even the guys use it as an altar to ask "WWMMD?"

And I can't believe I didn't see the guy once at GenCon!
I count it as great luck that I got to run into him - the guy DMing the table took a break and Mike steps in; after we were done, so was he. By the same token, I'm glad I got to play at the same table as you and hang out a bit afterwards on Thursday. I can understand how you became a mod - I don't think I have ever met someone with quite that much charisma that wasn't in politics - hence my sign on Thursday night. :)

I can be charming or a total jerk depending upon my mood and can suck in a crowd if I so choose, but you just kind of show up and steal the spotlight, just by showing up. And I don't think I saw any prjudice in any action you took, you carefuly (though quickly) weighed everything in your mind before acting, a rare trait indeed. I should know, I've worked with folks that could do either through the military, but couldn't quite pull off both at the same time.

As for diaglo, I knew him from the Castle of Fun on the WotC boards (think Looney Toons meets the D&D cartoon on uppers)- WAYYYY back in the day and know his humorous side 1st hand, so he's a bit opinionated on gaming matters, I think to some extent we all are, we HAVE to be, otherwise, we all end up playing Monopoly with strange dice. Diversity is what makes this hobby so ... ummm ...well, diverse (couldn't think of a better way to say it).

Mycanid

First Post
Wow! What a nice thread! Thank heavens for politeness, eh?

I agree wholeheartedly with the Remmen on this one. I don't agree with the ideas he proposed about the beasties (especially the Rust Monster - ANATHEMA! :) ) ... but I appreciate his sharing the thinking process with people. Like he said - food for thought.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads