• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I love Star Wars Saga- will I like 4e?

Diesel

First Post
So I've been looking over Keep on the Shadowfell. I happen to love Star Wars Saga edition. I do not yet have the 4e books. Ive been following the lively discussions of 4e's technical merits and flaws. But I'm on the fence. I am by no means a 1e/2e/3e fanboy-I just like games.

So given my love for what they did with the SW Saga rules in simplifying many concepts and speeding play, will I like 4e?

Yes. As a Saga Edition player since Day One of that game, I can honestly say that everything that was awesome about SWSE is still awesome about 4e. Most things that weren't so awesome in SWSE are awesome in 4e.

No droids though. Sorry.

-TRRW

Diesel

First Post
Hmm well, then to be more specific, theres all this talk of exceptions in 4e. To me Saga still feels very much like d20/3x. Skills are less confusing and there are talents now but everything still seems to have a unified mechanic, just better ( I really love non heroic classes!)

The talk of spells, characters, monsters, etc in 4e being exceptions to the rules sounds , well complex. Not that complexity is a bad thing- it just sounds like a bit more to always remember.

Ander00

First Post
Overall, it's probably simpler but you'll have to relearn a couple of things (right now, a lot of confusion seems to come from people assuming things based on their experience with 3.5). There seem to be plenty of flaws (and if I was on the fence, I'd consider staying there until a print run with some error corrections), but if you're mainly worried about an increase in complexity, I think you may very well like it. I'd say take a test run through KotS and see for yourself.

cheers

pawsplay

Hero
Do you like pancakes?

But seriously, Saga and 4e are relatives but they aren't brother and sister. I really like Saga. I'm not sure if I'll ever play 4e. I just do not like it. If I ever do play it, it won't be because it resembles Saga or because it says D&D on the cover, that's for sure. It's a different beast.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I don't find them all that similar, except in the deep core of the systems (i.e.: add 1/2 your level to various things, elimination of full attacks).

But I also like both. :)

Cheers, -- N

Aus_Snow

First Post
Yeah, they look pretty damn different to me too. I've kept up to date on the 4e previews and reveals, etc. and I own SWSE. The latter does a decent - if not perfect - job of doing the Star Wars thing, IMO (and can be corrupted successfully for fantasy gaming and so on, interestingly). The former, well, I'm not a fan of it for anything, including 'emulating D&D'. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads