• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need help optimizing my Druid.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I'm starting a Moon Druid soon. I can't decide if I should go with a variant human or with a forest gnome.

This is a deadly campaign. Our first session resulted in a TPK. We are starting at level 1 using 27 point buy.

Human gives me Resilient (CON) off the bat, a higher starting WIS, and an extra skill.

Gnome gives me a great advantage when it comes to saving throws and one of the best cantrips in the game (and the INT to use it effectively).

Which should I go for? Or is there a better option I'm missing?

bid

First Post
You could start 8 12 14 12 16 14 with that resilient human since druids Str/Dex/Cha get replaced by the wildshape ones. I don't know if your target beast shape already has Con proficiency, your feat won't add anything then.

Human also has an extra prepared spell over the gnome.

Did you reject hill dwarf, wood elf and half-elf outright? Dwarven toughness or mask of the wild might be life savers too.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
You could start 8 12 14 12 16 14 with that resilient human since druids Str/Dex/Cha get replaced by the wildshape ones. I don't know if your target beast shape already has Con proficiency, your feat won't add anything then.

Human also has an extra prepared spell over the gnome.

Did you reject hill dwarf, wood elf and half-elf outright? Dwarven toughness or mask of the wild might be life savers too.

A few questions, as I've never played a Druid before:

1) when wild shaped, a Druid takes the proficiencies of the animal form? That's really weird. Do they lose INT/WIS?

2) why does a human have an extra spell over the gnome?

3) I'm open to most any race.

E. Tallitnics

Explorer
Well that makes sense. LOL

I'm most concerned with point #1: does a Druid get the saving throw proficiencies of its animal form when wild shaped?

Yes. The first bullet of the Wild Shape feature states that you get both, "You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature."

In the SRD you can read that you retain your saving theow proficiencies and skill proficiencies, but you may use any skill proficiency of your animal form if it is higher than your stat + proficiency.

E. Tallitnics

Explorer
Wood Elf has great synergy with the Druid class. Their weapon proficiencies are a very welcome addition, and (at least at my table) their other racial traits carry over too! (Rule of Fun)

Remove ads