• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E I think our party's sorcerer just got overpowered...what do you think?

Palha

First Post
So we were playing the other day, and the player playing the sorcerer was complaining about not being able to cast the higher level spells enough. His argument was that if he has the ability to cast 'x' amount of 1st level spells, 'x' amount of 2nd level spells, and 'x' amount of 3rd level spells, for a total of 'y' amount of spell levels a day, why cant he break it up how he sees fit, just not going over the total amount of spell levels per day that he is allowed. The GM thought about it, and said it made sense, since its almost like the sorcerer has that much power inside him per day, so he is allowing it. I did the math, and realized that at a higher level, he would have crazy amounts of high level spells. I would suggest Psionics, but we currently to not have the books that would allow us to run a psion properly. What do you think...overpowered or not? And any suggestions on what would be a good compromise?

In 3.5, I was stunned by how powerful psions could get with their power points being spent on higher-level powers.

Reducing the number of power points would probably balance them though.

If your DM is using spell points, they should probably use fewer than the variant system proposed in Unearthed Arcana 3rd Edition.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, not the best idea.

The psionics rules are available online in the SRD. They're worth checking out, and they're a ....more...balanced pool-based casting system. Still twink-able, but made for that kind of casting.

The 3e Unearthed Arcana book has a few variant spellcasting systems that you might like, too. Recharge magic seems especially "sorcerer-esque" to me.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
For Sorcerers, Wizards, and any caster, the limits in place also reflect amount of training they have to be able to contain the energies they are directing. If I were to allow the above to pool his spell levels together, I'd have to enforce some kind of penalty/increased chance of failure for going over the normal level of spell slots. As it's, in theory, going beyond a Sorcerer's normal limits. Of course he'd already have a more limited repertoire of spells if he dumps them into all high level abilities, but being able to double, or triple his output of higher level spells may/will probably change how things play out.

Instead of giving him a direct trade off of 1 spell slot equals 1 spell slot ( ie, a level 1 spell slot equals a level 3 spell slot) and pooling them, give him the ability to burn lower level spell slots to cast higher level spell slots. You want to recast that level 3 spell slot, you need to burn either three level 1 spell slots, or a level 2 and two level 1 spell slots. Or he can burn two level 2 slots, but lose the extra power, (or give a small bonus for the overcharge)..

Dandu

First Post
Tell him to suck it up.

If that fail, make up some argument about quantum magical theory and how spell levels do not transmute that way.

S

Sunseeker

1st level spells and 3rd level spells and 9th level spells are considered that level of a spell for a reason, and it is generally because their sheer amount of power.

A spell-points system is a much better solution than what your DM agreed to because more powerful spells still cost more points. Generally you can cast more of them with a point-based system, but you can't cast as many as you have spell-slots for every level combined. It also makes adding metamagic feats to spells less confusing.

Remove ads