• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E I think our party's sorcerer just got overpowered...what do you think?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
What do you think...overpowered or not?

Extremely overpowered. Spellpower is not additive. Which is to say the power of a sixth-level spell is not equal to six 1st-level spells. Not only is there much greater action economy, but save DCs are much higher, and effects can be available at higher levels that are impossible at lower levels.

Your DM must be very inexperienced. :blush:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Tell him to suck it up.

If that fail, make up some argument about quantum magical theory and how spell levels do not transmute that way.

Back in AD&D 2nd ed there was a players options in spells and magic that allowed a spell point system. there was an increase in cost to spell level that prevented the (and I love this description) napalm walking effect. There was a dm balance rule that could be opted in to cause fatigue of increasing amounts that counters the overwhelming master blaster potential. This fatigue could even cause death if exceeded.

otherwise: very bad idea.

A

amerigoV

Check out the spell point system from Unearthed Arcana, also available on the SRD. This has the rules for said flexible spellcasting with some additional other limits and tweaks.

I theory the sorcerer can cast the same numer or even more spells. But, in practice, the sorcerer will cast fewer total spells but they'll all be higher level.

I thought of this as well. But if you are going to do so, I would recommend making the player use Monte Cooke's Sorcerer (Book of Eldritch Might) if you are playing D&D. He does a bit of fiddling with the spell levels for his sorcerer that will help in combo with a what he did in the Arcana Unearthed.

The reason is D&D has always had a couple of spells at each level that were flat out more powerful than all the other spells. That is the reason there are iconic spells (sleep, MM, Invisibility, Web, Haste, Fireball). Monte flat out said it as part of his design diary for AU and for his sorcerer. So he bumped a few of the spells to a higher level to balance them (Inv became a 3rd level spell instead of a Second). This will help offset someone spamming overpowered spells all day.

(Now keep in mind I'm talking normal rationale thinking here, so save your "I once killed a tribe of Stone Giants with Tensers Floating Disk and a Spoon" stories.)

ImperatorK

First Post
The houserule - very bad idea.
Versatile Spellcaster feat from Races of the Dragon is what he needs. It's the exact reason why the feat was made. It would be nice to have it used as intended for once, instead of abused in cheesy ways (that don't even work by RAW).

Remove ads