D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: I'll just edit out "stolen" from my IC quote and that should keep things a mystery for now. Who wants to have a chat with the dude? I think Thaliss is the most charismatic of us.

Glancing over at the deckhand and purposefully grinning while rubbing his hands together in a malevolent fashion, Damien asked, "Who wants to chat with him? Maybe find out what this was all about..."

hafrogman

Adventurer
Tolan shakes his head. "I am afraid that I have little talent for talking to people with such purpose. The sword follows a much straighter path than the tongue."

OOC: With regards to non-treasure treasure, I doubt this lot have anything particularly useful on them. But for future reference, Tolan is on the lookout for mundane equipment to be looted from enemies as he's still kinda fresh-off-the-mountain. Studded leather armor, shield, any sort of bow, etc.

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: Pike was privy to a shortbow with 10 arrows and each bandit was carrying a light crossbow with 10 bolts each.

Ned introduces himself as "Lars." He seems to be used to the boat. "I know about the caravan. Well, something about it."

Pausing for some kind of acknowledgement, he continues...

"It was something like two tenday ago. I'm not sure. We ferried some passengers across the river. They were traveling in the opposite direction you all are going now. They paid with those books. The ones over there. And a gem or something. Something they gave to the boss-man. Grimjaw. They were the masked guys. The golden masks with the big noses. Out of the Monastery. They had a bunch of prisoners with them too. Dwarves and humans."

Assuming he's asked about his own involvement...

"I just mind the ship. Help Shoalar in a fight. Keep things off his back so he can deal with it. He was the captain and did most of the work, honestly. I signed on in Womford a few months ago. We raid merchants that don't pay protection money. Never killed no man, honest."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thaliss stands directly in front of Lars, and telepathically says for all to hear, as bluish flames seem to flicker around him. Tell us more about the involvement of those at the Keep, and also tell us where Shoalar meant to sell these goods. Do not lie, and we will view this favorably.

OOC: the telepathy is meant as a show of arcane power, and so are the flames from silent image (centered on Thaliss), and the crackling sound from minor illusion (also centered on Thaliss).

Forged Fury

First Post
While the party questioned Lars, Damien walked over to the books and picked one up. Heading back over to the interrogation, he said, "So why did Shoalar accept the books as payment? What's so special about them?" Seeing Thaliss in all his alien glory, he mumbled, "Sorry for interrupting..."

Waiting for a response, the warlock mumbled a few words and waggled his fingers. Opening the cover he placed a finger to the page and started to read the ancient script.

OOC: Cast Comprehend Languages. Duration is concentration, up to one hour. Damien will do his best to get the gist of the books during that hour, not spending any considerable bit of time with any one book, but glossing through all five to determine what they are all about. He'll do this in lieu of helping to fish out Shoalar or to guide the boat to the shore, or wherever we decide to go in light of the new information.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Thaliss stands directly in front of Lars, and telepathically says for all to hear, as bluish flames seem to flicker around him. Tell us more about the involvement of those at the Keep, and also tell us where Shoalar meant to sell these goods. Do not lie, and we will view this favorably.[/ooc]

OOC: Sounds like an intimidate/persuasion with a side of illusion. I'd give it advantage. 26 on the favorable roll.

The man tries to be helpful, seemingly. "Look, I don't know much. Shoalar was on the inner circle, though. Like in the keep, there are a lot of mercenaries. A lot of pirates. Thugs. A couple would-be do-gooders that work to stop other bandits from getting a foothold on the river. But most of what we do is just to support the keeps repairs. There are priests there. The strange priests revere the drowned and send the dead off to sea. They are actually in charge. They have followers... the Reavers... that give them some muscle. I once saw a man with barnacles all up and down his body. He looked like he had already drowned once, but he was still alive. I don't know. And they all report to Grimmjaw. Grimmjaw's in charge."

Regarding the goods, "Either sell it to Grimmjaw or in Belliard or Womford. I don't know. Usually Shoalar knew. We were due back in womford soon."

Regarding the books, "I don't know why they took um. We sold off more than half of them so-far. They fetched a good 25 gold a piece. That's pretty decent. They were probably worth more to the right buyer, but I don't know for sure."

He is obviously terrified of the giant cat.

Damien's investigation of the book reveals that they are historical accounts of a Dwarven kingdom of old known as Delzoun.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Still looking intensely at the man, Thaliss asks telepathically, again for all to hear: Your cooperation has, and will continue to benefit you, and I can see that, at least up to now, you have not been lying. Now tell me, and be careful of your answer because a lie at this point could destroy your soul, are you a man of your word and can you be trusted?

After Lars' answer, Thaliss will confer with the rest of the group for the next steps, communicating telepathically as not to be overheard while keeping an eye on the still cursed sailor.

OOC: setting things up for [MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION]'s idea of making a pact with Lars. I'll let Damien take the lead if this is the path we agree on in the occ thread

Remove ads