IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part I

worthley

First Post
Trenton makes his way to the front of the crowd around the game, and poorly tries to get the attention of the elven woman, slightly gesturing with a hand whenever her gaze starts to drift into his general direction. This young man drastically stands out in this city, let alone this tavern, but wouldn't in almost any other town. No taller than most men, he is a bit broader, but his tan skin, lightened hair, and eyes that seem to always be squinting let everyone know that he has probably never seen a day without half of it spent under the sun and not in the dark depths of the mines.

TiCaudata

First Post
After the display of marksmanship, Nav turned to Alexis with a grin.

"Well that was a delightful start. What are you drinking tonight? The ale's better than you would expect."

After getting her order, Nav made his way through the crowd to the nearest serving maid (and/or bar) for the drinks. While not imposing in any sense, many of the other clientele cleared a path for him as he worked his way through, often doing a double take first. Curiously, it didn't seem as though his appearence affected them as much as something about his very presence.

The young man stood a couple inches shorter than 6 feet. He was dressed in heavily patched and mended clothes that hang off of his frame slightly, which would be hard not to do since he was thin to just before the point of skeletal. The first actual feature most people noticed is that his hair is pure white and his skin was rather pale even though he also looked weather worn. He negotiated the crowd with an assured air that suits him well and when he looked around his eyes were noticeably the silver of a finely wrought chain. He had a javelin loosely strapped to his back and a small belt pouch that appeared to be empty.

When he returned with the drinks, Nav cocked his head towards the young dwarf while speaking to Alexis.

"The cairns are a bit of legend around these parts. Many a fortune hunter made their name off of the greedy holdings of the dead in past ages, but, except for the occasional rumor mill, they are largely believed to be empty in the modern day. Still they could be a source of...irregular...pay if the dwarf has found an unsacked one."

Last edited:

o3caudata

First Post
Scanning the room Alexis, almost absentmindedly, replies, "Ale it is then. I'll wait here."

The young lady scanning the room stands a hand over five feet and is obviously a traveller, a pretty one at that. Her sun-bleached red hair is pulled simply into a bun. Her skin is tan and her eyes a haunting icy blue. Her scale mail and traveling cloths are respectable, but not by no means new. She carries a morningstar and an oversized quiver on her back along with a loaded pack. A sickle hangs from a short rope at her belt. She stands ready and surveys the crowd while waiting for her companion and their ale.

As Nav approches, "Thank you sir" and tilts her head in appreciation.

Looking in the direction of the nod, "I don't know about these cairns personally, but I've found people in these places tend to be more concerned with talking about lost treasure than actually finding any of it. But you certiainly know more about this place than I. Do you recognize him, or his lady friend? I don't suppose it could hurt to see what his ploy is about. That is, if you're up for some tall tales."

Last edited:

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=O3]Did you shake my hand when I offered it to you while saying my name? If you did, or whenever I might have been near you, you would have noticed that my skin is surprisingly hot, as if I am in a constant state of severe fever.
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=MNW]Dip: 14 - 2 + 2 (for the decent showing at the game) = 14. She was already friendly, so she stays that way. So charismatic of the ugly, socially inept dwarf.[/sblock]
Tirra, the elven woman, laughs at Boldak. "Don't expect this to be a habit, but I'll get you one," she says cheerfully. "But only because the ale is less than I just won from that wager!" she adds. "Someone get me two!" As she finishes, someone scampers up to her to take her money, and goes to the bar to get a couple mugs.

"Now, that was a good show with that first shot. Were you feeling guilty about it when you made the second? Anyway, you were talking about the cairns." She pauses. "Hey," she calls and beckons to Trenton. "You need something? Perhaps you want to try me in the game. We two were just talking about the cairns, but that probably won't take long."

Meanwhile, near Nav and Alexis, some only slightly drunken miner (by his look) sticks his nose in their conversation. "It be she, the elf gal, that's be having the ploy. Ain't ye heard? She's part of one o' them adventuring groups. Come from the Free City, I think. They plan to be diving in the cairns or mines or sumpin', I think. I also know that she be spending more coin in this place than most o' us do in a week. Her adventurin' must pay more'n minin' do." Bored with that conversation, the miner turns back to his ale.

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=Ti]If you offered me your hand, i shook it. And even if not, we've been close enough for me to notice. When i did, I would have hesitated and made a 'knowing' look into your eyes, but said nothing. Unless you've broken the silence about it, it's remained unspoken.[/sblock]

"Well well an elf woman, with coin, in a place like this, recruiting for some adventure to lost treasure sounds a bit interesting to say the least. He seems to think she's been here a while, what do you know about her Nav? Perhaps we should wonder, ever so subtly to a better earshot. She seems to be attracting a crowd." Alexis begins a slow, nonchalaunt walk to a place where she's certain she can hear what's said by the elf and her entourage.

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=Dichotomy]Not sure on the protocol/etiquite of this, is it appropriate for me to ask you questions this way? Have I seen the elf lady earlier? Obviously i've not been here long, but i've certainly been to my fair share of taverns, and if she stands out....

if so, tell me what i would have seen or heard. is she showy, loud, overly kind with coin? have i had any inkling about this cairns things, other than to know there are lots of ones, back in the day, which used to have uncountable treasures... etc etc. if not, no worries, just thought i'd check. Small background details can matter you know.

oh. and sorry if it's not appropriate to ask questions this way, just let me know which way i should. i don't believe i can PM.[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
"Well these groups are news to me, but then I spend little time in the standards places of amusement around here. Lead the way."

Nav follows Alexis to a better vantage.

worthley

First Post
"Why yes, I would enjoy a game. What is the going rate?" asks Trenton as he removes his pack and opens a small pocket on it, checking to make sure he has enough coin. "I am also quite interested in the cairns. Do you mind if I join your conversation?" Trenton shifts his gaze between the elf and young dwarf, wide eyed, in a way that is asking a second time to be invited to the discussion.

michael_noah

First Post
Looking to the newcomer, Boldak remarked, "Well, this isn't the free city, but it's close enough. You're welcome to listen in, especially if you've more news from outside Diamond Lake."

After looking the large man up and down, he turned back to Tirra, "Well, in particular, word's got around that you and your companions are thinking of checking out the Stirgenest cairn. To be blunt, don't waste your time." The dwarf chuckled to himself, but, seeing that it was not enough to dissuade the elf, continued, "That place has been searched up and down by children and adventurers alike for as long as I've been here, and no one's ever found anything of interest.

I'm not doubting that you folk are more fit to venture deeper than the cretins…”
, the dwarf paused to look around at no one in particular, ”around here, but if you ask me, it’s been picked dry for more than 50 years.

If you’re looking for something a little more interesting, let me point you toward a different cairn. The Whispering Cairn that is. It hasn’t been touched in nearly six years, when kids started disappearing there. Even before then, no one dared look into it more than a stone’s throw.”

Knowing his oration skills were not exactly the stuff of legend, Boldak finished quickly, hoping that this was enough to buy him some tip on what opportunities might lie back the way Tirra had come.

”I don’t know what’s down there, but neither does anyone else, which is more than you can say for just about any other hole in the ground around here.”

Last edited:

Remove ads