• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part I

TiCaudata

First Post
Breth starts to pull flasks of oil out of his pack and speaks in a whisper, "Alright, let's do this right this time. If we spread out the oil throughout the intersection and then stand beyond it, I should be able to light the oil and fry the buggers before they can do much damage to us.

"All we need is someone for them to chase this way..."

Dichotomy

Explorer
Alendar glances at the retreating dwarf. "So, I guess we'll take care of this then..." the elf calls up. He then pulls out a flask of oil and a torch of his own, lighting it quickly from someone else's flame.

"So much for my idea, Viktor. We might as well swing wildly together, eh?"

o3caudata

First Post
Alexis looks hesitantly at the dwarf as he climbs. "Good to see we're all standing together."

"I have a number of oil flasks, should we have the need."

michael_noah

First Post
"I don't plan to abandon you, you fools!" Boldak calls from the base of the hole. He draws a torch on his way and prepares to light it with a tindertwig.

[sblock=ooc]I probably had a bad picture in my head. I was thinking that the cave in was more of a rocky slope than a whole straight down, and that one would be able to throw things, etc. from a little way up the slope. If that's not the case, i.e., it's straight up and down and one could only drop things on a small area, Boldak will simply retreat to the base of the wall and draw torch along the way.

I changed it. Boldak will just get as far along in lighting the torch as he can before they're attacked.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]It's pretty well straight down. You'd likely guess that it was once an elevator shaft like the other one, but something happened.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Alendar waves his hand to stifle the conversation. After a moment he says, "They didn't notice you. I don't think they are getting closer. Hurry!" The elf quickly touches his light torch to Boldak's, setting it aflame.

michael_noah

First Post
With a quick nod to Alendar, Boldak assists the others in covering a few sections of the hall in oil, after which point he attempts to draw the things toward the waiting trap.

Dichotomy

Explorer
With no response for Alendar's comment, Viktor straps his shield to his back and lights up a torch, such that he has his lantern in one hand and the torch in the other.

With the group ready, Boldak and Alendar move down the passage to draw out the bugs they expect to find.

The north and south walls of this large chamber taper in somewhat, and in the nook of the far eastern wall rests a wide stone basin backed by a five-foot-tall shelf. A hardened orange paste spills out over the two-foot basin lip and covers much of the shelf. Thousands of tiny beetles with bright blue carapaces skitter and tunnel through the chalky substance. A keening insect chorus fills the room. A huge organic mass completely fills the room's southwest corner. Judging by the beetles spilling from within, it appears to be an enormous nest.

The creatures, including the swarm and a man-sized beetle, appear to have not noticed the presence of the sneaking elf and dwarf.

With a nod at Boldak, Alendar flings his oil flask at the swarm. The flask shatters and covers the creatures. Alendar pulls back. "I hit! Get them a dose of fire before the reach the puddle!"

[sblock=OOC]Let me know if you guys want to be somewhere other than where I've put you. Also let me know where you want the oil on the floor. I'll move Alendar after that. We'll first have a suprise round for Alendar and Boldak, then to the top of the initiative order.

Alendar: throws oil; 19+4-2=21, hit

Status and Init:
Alendar (23)
Boldak (21)
Beetle (19)
Viktor (9)
Breth (8)
Swarm (7)
Alexis (6)[/sblock]

Remove ads