• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part I

michael_noah

First Post
"Come get us you buggers!" shouts Boldak before tossing his torch onto the oil soaked swarm. As the creatures become aware, the dwarf scampers back toward the others in an attempt to draw them onto the oiled floor, telling the others, "There's a big one too!"
[sblock=ooc]Can one take a 5' step in a surprise round? If so, Boldak will step 5' forward to take a range increment off the torch (I'd guess). Then moves back just past the entry hall (30' west).[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I was thinking to put the oil in the two squares on the east side of the intersection and then standingin the northwest corner of the intersection. I likely could have made that less implicit I suppose.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Boldak tosses his torch at the swarm of tiny beetles. A familiar sizzling sound is heard as the oil catches flame. The elf and dwarf both pull back.

The large beetle skitters down the hall. It stops just before it reaches the party, and shoots a cone of acid from its snout. Alendar shrugs off the effects of the mild acid, but Breth's skin burns from the caustic chemicals.

[sblock=OOC]Boldak: throws torch, 17+3-2-4=14, hit; 2 damage; oil burns, 3 damage

First actual round
Alendar: moves back; readies to attack swarm with torch
Boldak: moves back
Beetle: moves; sprays acid, 10-foot cone covering R and L; fort saves R-1!, fail, 5 acid damage; L-17+4=21, success
Viktor: delays

Status and Init:
Alendar (readying)
Boldak
Beetle
Viktor (delaying)
Breth: 5 damage
Swarm: 5 damage
Alexis[/SBLOCK]

TiCaudata

First Post
Breth yells as the acid bites into him, but delays casting his spell for the swarm to get closer at which point he will cast burning hands to cover the bugs in the oil soaked area.

edit:

he'll also move to Alexis' side (behind Viktor) after casting.

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Breth waits for a more opportune time to cast his spell.

As expected, the swarm closes in, it swarms about to cover Breth, Boldak, and Viktor. Both Viktor and Alendar swipe at the mass with their torches, but neither connects. Hundreds of bugs bite into the flesh of the three covered, and more acid burns them.

Viktor swings again, but still misses with his torch. In frustration, he drops the torch to the ground, and pulls out his hammer as he steps closer to the larger beetle.

[sblock=OOC]Breth: delays
Swarm: moves; triggers L ready
Alendar: attacks with torch; 7+3-4=6, miss
Swarm: moves to cover R, B, and V
Viktor: AoO, 7+3-4=6, miss (I don't think B or R have weapons worth an AoO)
Swarm: auto damage B-2, R-3, V-1; Acid fort saves: B-17+6=23, success, 1 acid; R-16+3=19, success, 1 acid; V-13+5=18, success, 1 acid
Viktor: attacks with torch; 7+3-4=6 and is STILL a miss; drops torch, moves & draws hammer

I'm gonna stop now so Breth can rethink what to do. The swarm is not longer on the oil.

Status and Init:
Boldak: 3 damage
Beetle
Alendar:
Viktor: 2 damage
Breth: 9 damage
Alexis[/SBLOCK]

TiCaudata

First Post
"We need to draw them into the oil!"

Breth points at the Beetle and moves 20' south.

[sblock=ooc]Magic missle on the Large Beetle, and then the move[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Breth fires a bolt of magic at the large beetle. As it reels in pain, the spellslinger moves to Alexis, and the cleric quickly heals his wounds.

[sblock=OOC]Breth: magic missle 1, 2 damage; moves
Alexis: CLW on R, 5 hitpoints; moves

I'd also forgotten to put in the fort saves for the swarm's distraction, but the three of you all made it easily.

Status and Init:
Beetle: 2 damage
Alendar:
Viktor: 2 damage
Breth: 4 damage
Alexis[/sblock]

michael_noah

First Post
Boldak throws himself bodily out of the swarm and prepares his assault on the large bug, screaming, "Burn those things already!"

[sblock=ooc]Tumble to flank the thingie with Viktor, ready my shield on the way.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Boldak deftly tumbles to the other side of the large beetle, readying his shield as he moves.

The beetle turns 'round on the dwarf and tries to bite him, but the vermin's aim is far off.

Alendar swings at the swarm with his torch, but just as Viktor did before, the elf also can't seem to connect.

The swarm crawls over both Viktor and Breth. While Breth faces graver wounds, Viktor soon starts retching. Unable to control himself, Viktor simply tries to get away from the creatures before he spills the contents of his stomach onto the floor.

[sblock=OOC]Boldak: tumbles to other side of 1, 11+6=17, success; readies shield while moving
Beetle: attacks B; 7+2=9, miss
Alendar: attacks swarm; 6+3-4=5, miss; moves
Swarm: covers R and V; auto damage R-4 damage, V-3 damage; acid fort saves R-16+3=19, success, 2 damage; V-3+5=8, fail, 1 damage; nauseation saves R-15+3=18, success; V-2+5=7, fail
Viktor: nauseated; moves

Status and Init:
Beetle: 2 damage
Alendar:
Viktor: 6 damage (nauseated)
Breth: 10 damage
Alexis[/sblock]

Remove ads