IC - Mad King's Monkey II

doghead

thotd
Day five, Morning, in the courtyard of the Baron's residence

A few minutes later members of the household staff have been woken and gathered and Sour is being attended to. When the Baron is away (as he is now) the household guards consist of a number of ex-soldier types among the staff who double up as guards when necessary. Most of them served in the Baron's enterprise at one time or another. Their weapons are simple, but well maintained. None of them bother with attempting to get into armour at this stage.

Most of those woken heard nothing. One or two did hear something at various times, but put it down to goings on in the street, and chose to ignore it. One of the stable hands does mention seeing more than the usual number of rats around the coach passage that allows the access for the coaches from the rear courtyard around to the front of the house.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Eban moved along if only to watch what was going on. He was still a bit confused about the whole mess, but noted that the boy seemed to have a sickness inside him. Poison. He quickly casts the quick cantrip with but a thought, examining the poison closely. He tries to take stock of anything that would help identify it again, just in case. As the boy is healed, (I will Aid Another on the attempts as well) Eban notes that the dog seems to have found something else.

Moving to the location, Eban checks for any signs of the poison again. (Detect Poison, to see if there are any traces of it here) He continues to do so, casually glancing towards the house hold as he continues to scan all about. You never know, as this could have been an inside job, with how quickly things went sour.

He wonders if a healing spell would be needed, as he examines the wounds on the boy.

OOC - From what I gather, nobody made use of his spells, so he is still at 2/5 left for the day. I still see this as the same day that they traveled through the portal, so he used spells at the tower. No chance to refill them yet. Unless this is now morning, where he would have refilled - please clarify if spells per day are now reset. If indeed back up to full spells per day, then he will use one on the boy. It's his nature...

Also, taking 20 on the Detect Poison, to get the time needed for a DC 20 Wisdom Check to verify the type of poison used. Will likely need it for future reference ;)

And, again, sorry for the delay, it's been a rough few weeks.

Axel

First Post
Impatient and frustrated at the lack of useful information from the household staff, Bayar stalks off down the coach passage in a foul mood. He was looking for anything that might help, though that hope was fading fast. Might be that a street boy saw something these fools did not...

doghead

thotd
Day Five, Morning, in the courtyard of the Baron's residence

Eban's efforts reveal no more indication of poison other than that on Sour.

The Oracle requires a couple of minutes of uninterrupted time with Sour in order to try and identify the poison. The household staff are keen to move him to the kitchen but are willing to wait in exchange for some healing.

[sblock=Eban]I don't think anyone has used any Healing spells on the wounds suffered. None have been cast on Sour. It is a new day for the purpose of spells.

The poison is a mix of Deathblade and some form of snake venom similar to Black Adder Venom. It is not a poison Eban is familiar with. Its not a common compound. But Eban has learnt enough to be able to recognise it again.[/sblock]

Last edited:

doghead

thotd

Impatient and frustrated at the lack of useful information from the household staff, Bayar stalks off down the coach passage in a foul mood. He was looking for anything that might help, though that hope was fading fast. Might be that a street boy saw something these fools did not...

Bayar walks the length of the coach passage, a servant shadowing him with a lantern. The household staff are nothing if not well trained. It all seems pointless until Bayar notices a crate set against one wall. The ground beneath it is scuffed, the crate has been dragged away from the wall and then pushed back. Behind the crate is a small, stout door about 3 feet high. Or not so stout as Bayar notices, the timber around the hinges has been scratched away and the door is loose, held in place with mud and small stones.

[sblock=OOC]Perception check made.[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
"Pass the light here" Bayar says, his annoyance evaporating in an instance. "What this door be for, and where it be going?"

As the servant passes the lantern over, Bayar crouches down to open the door and see what might be beyond.

doghead

thotd

"Pass the light here" Bayar says, his annoyance evaporating in an instance. "What this door be for, and where it be going?"

"Cellars. Storage for barrels and stuff mostly. But the room kept flooding and so it ain't used no more. Hasn't been for years and years now."

The door pulls away easily, falling off more than opening, revealing a ramp (the sort designed for shifting barrels and boxes) descending into the darkness of the room below. The smell of damp, still water and neglect wafts from the darkness. The ramp shows evidence of recent use, the accumulated crude scraped way along most of its length.

The room below, from what Bayar can see of it from the top of the ramp, is about 30 feet by 20 feet and high enough for a man to stand in. The torchlight reflects off pools of still water on the floor. There is a door at one end, to Bayar's left.

Axel

First Post
"And where the door on the other side be going?"

After the servant answers, Bayar stands and days "You be bringing something very big and heavy to block this door. This door be where Sour's attacker come into the house. A man with a light be in the passage too, if there be time to spare him."

With that, Bayar returns to the courtyard to tell the others of what he found.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ullara Halx, female druid with dog companion Bran

Ullara will place her hands on the boy, Sour, and brush them gently over his wounds, feeling the heat of healing magic sealing them and steady the boy's weakness. If he wakens, she will say, "Hush, hush, you're all right. The rats are gone, they're gone." Once he's been calmed and soothed and taken a moment to get himself together, she will ask him, gently, "Sour, what did you see?"

OOC: Cure light wounds, rolled a 7 for a total of 9 healing to Sour.

doghead

thotd

"And where the door on the other side be going?"

"Um, another room ..., a cellar. Another cellar as well, I mean." The man, a little flustered by the questions, struggles to recall the details.

"It ... When the cellar was abandoned ... that cellar, I mean. Well the other cellar didn't flood, but they decided to move the whole lot to the other wing of the house. So the other cellar, the one through the door was abandoned as well. The last time I saw it it was filled with old furniture. You know, stuff that wasn't needed. You couldn't even get to it now, the stairs leading up to the ground floor are stuffed with stuff as well. No one has been down there in years."

Ullara will place her hands on the boy, Sour, and brush them gently over his wounds, feeling the heat of healing magic sealing them and steady the boy's weakness. If he wakens, she will say, "Hush, hush, you're all right. The rats are gone, they're gone." Once he's been calmed and soothed and taken a moment to get himself together, she will ask him, gently, "Sour, what did you see?"

Sour stares up at Ullara, wide eyed with fright. It takes some effort to calm him, but with gentle patience Ullara succeeds. "It wasn't no rats," Sour says eventually. "Was a man that stabbed me. With a mangy beard and an ugly as scar under his left eye. He was hiding in the dark by the wood pile. Surprised me before I could even think to say nothing. Came out of the darkness like a bat. Held his hand over my mouth until I couldn't say a word. I couldn't move Miss. Couldn't scream or fight or run away. Just lay there looking at the stars looking down on me like waiting for me to die.

"Then he covers me up. I couldn't see nothing then. But I could hears him nearby. I couldn't see or moves, but I could hears. He waited for a while. Then he starts panting like a man running, and muttering under his breath. Like those crazy people taking to himself. Stuff about it just beginning and not being over until next time. Something like that. Then he was gone. Heard him cross the courtyard, then climb on the wagon maybe. Them sideboards always squeak like when you climb up."

The wagon is parked along the wall that separates the courtyard from the street.

[sblock=OOC]Gather Info Check made for Ullara (with synergies from SenseMotive and Healing/Prof Herbalist for bedside manner/calming influence.)

7 HP recovered is enough to remove Sour from negative hp territory. If Eban chooses to cast an additional healing, it will return him to near full hp's.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads