• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ic] nameless I: prologue

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Oscar leaves the building and heads to his Uncle's home. Rideing his Palimino Sassy is one of Oscar's great joys and he sits proudly in the saddle. Maybe I'll finaly find my way out of this backwater town and back to the cities. He thinks. When he get to his home he stables Sassy and enters the house brushing past his sisters at play and heading to his uncle's library. Avonelle De Reign was a scholar and dabbler in many things but he was a good man and always had time for his brother's only son.
"Uncle Avonelle I have news. The town guard has asked me to join an expoditionary force trying to hunt down the Goblin's that have destroyed two farms last night. I'm inclined to join but I would like your approval. Also the two families the Colsens and the Hutts are in need of shelter. I think it might be a good thing for you to take them in while thier farms are being rebuilt. Besides grandmother has always liked the Colsen's children It would make her happy to have them around."

Oscar waits for his uncle to absorb all the information and reply.

doghead

thotd
Oscar De Reign

OSCAR DE REIGN

Oscar is rather unsurprised to find his uncle browsing some items laid out in front of him on a table. He puts down the book he was reading and listens to Oscar carefully. As Oscar recounts the story of the mornings events so far, it becomes clear to him that his uncle already knows, though the old man acts as if he does not. It shouldn't really have come as a surprise, Oscar realises. For all of his uncle's unsophisticated and unassuming dress and manner, little happens in the town of significance without his council being sought first. Oscar notices that his uncle has the tired drawn out look of a man who got little sleep the night before. Oscar wonders what was said by whom, but doesn't ask.

At that moment, he realises, that he has never got anything out of his uncle that his uncle had not intended to tell him. Oscar is quiet pleased at this sudden insight. Its not going to be quite so easy for his uncle in the future.

After Oscar finishes, his uncles takes a pull on his pipe.

"I will certainly offer room at the house to the Colsens and Hutts though I doubt that they will accept them. They will more than likely stay near their farms so they can rebuild as quickly as possible. Although the children, yes. That is very perceptive of you."

His uncle gives Oscar a considering look.

Soon there is organised mayhem, presided over by Mistress Hassdel the housekeeper, as things are packed and readied. At the mention of Sassy, Uncle suggest waiting to see if horses will be needed.

"She will be much better looked after here, and if needed we can get her down to you in a jiffy."

Despite all the activity, it is a fairly small pack that is eventually handed to Oscar. Mistress Hassdel cries as she does so. Its only once he unpacks later that day that he finds the amulet and note. "Wear it always."

ooc: Amulet of Natural Armour +1.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Nathan The Blacksmith

NATHAN THE BLACKSMITH

Master Hurdan listens carefully as Nate tells him of the mornings meeting, the offer, and his acceptance of it.

"Well, you've done and decided then. Taint much that I can do about it now."

There is an awkward silence.

"Not that I would I suppose. You're of age now, and must make your own decisions. Of course, that also means you'll have to do the telling of it to Mistress Hurdan yourself," he adds with a slow grin.

It take Nate a little longer to get ready as Mistress Hurdan keeps pulling out the things he stuffs into his backpack.

"You won't need that. Nor that. Leave that for the top. I've got three brothers and two uncles and have sent them off to fight more times than I care to remember."

But eventually it is done. Master Hurdan is waiting downstairs when you get there and, surprisingly, sets off with you. He's quiet for a while, making only mundan observations and recommendations. As you pass a small park, he turns and enters, settling himself down on a bench in an out of the way corner.

He pulls out a leather carry case somewhat like the ones used by smiths to carry their more precious and precise tools, only a little longer and deeper.

"I have only few secrets from Mistress Hurdan. This is one of them."

He places the leather wallet on his lap and, with a quick glance around, opens it. Nate is stunned. Although he has never seen one, he knows immediately what it is from some of the old engineering books and scrolls he used during his apprenticeship. A blackpower weapon.

"It will punch through the best brestplate, and put a hole the size of a fist through an oaken door. There are twelve caps. There used to be sixteen; thats how I know. It make a noise like hell's thunder, and leaves a great smoky cloud. Its also said that the elves would as soon as kill anyone carrying one as look at him. I got this many years ago. But that is a tale for another time. When you come back. Its yours now if you want it."

If Nate does, Master Hurdan shows him how to work it. Master Hurdan says his farwells at the gate to the park, going no further.

ooc: single shot pistol, break the barrel to reload {mv action}, 2d4+2, 30 ft. 4 lb.

You are free to turn it down. I realise that its a bit unusual.

Last edited:

NeuroZombie

Explorer
Sadoloth spent the few hours until noon in his forest, communing with the tree spirits and the wind spirits, attempting to find a sign as to what path he should follow. The winds of change gave him a sign, a pile of leaves and branches took to the wind, a whirlwind of bashing and gnashing against each other. The sign was clear, Sadoloth must fight.

At noon, he arrived at the appointed location, prepped and ready for whatever is to come.

Velmont

First Post
Hewik returns to the farm, with Prince follwing him.

Me, soldier? That's sound strange. All I know is taking care of animals.If it was a cavalry, I wouldn't tell, I could take care of the horses, be a squire, but soldier in this small town?

When he arrived at his house, he see his mother preparing the food for the family. The men will soon arrive to eat, it<s sure.

"Hi mom. I just come back from the town. I've met the captain, he ask me to join the troops..."

He awaits the reaction of his mother.

DrZombie

First Post
doghead said:
If Nate does, Master Hurdan shows him how to work it. Master Hurdan says his farwells at the gate to the park, going no further.
"Thank you Master Hurdan. For everything. You've been like a father to me these past years, and have taught me all I know." He gives Master Hurdan a fierce hug, realising it could be the last time he could speak with the old friend and say what needs to be said.
"If they don't need me anymore, I'll come back and help you out at the forge."
With that he turns around and heads down to the office, wondering wich friends will show up. The gun seems to weigh more than it should, and makes for an uncomfortable weight, tucked away in his coat carefully wrapped in the oil cloth.

doghead

thotd
Hewik Leafwing

HEWIK LEAFWING

Hewik's mother faints dead away.

Hewik spends the next few minutes dashing around the kitchen trying to revive her as well as keep the food from burning. He's a little flustered by the time his father and brothers arrive home, and the choas that ensues when they do doesn't help any. It's quite a while before everyone is calm again and Hewik can tell his story properly.

The discussion wanders all over the place, and looking back on it, Hewik is not really sure how it got from "no" to "go". Actually, there never even was a "no" or a "go" at all. But whatever the path it was that it took, it eventually left him standing at the door with a packed bag and his family clustered around him. There are goodbyes, and see laters, bravado and hugs. Most of it is a bit of a blur, for the young hafling is not used to being the center of attention of anything more than a crowd of goats eager to be out of the enclosure and into the hills.

But one part stands out in sharp relief. His mother takes his hand in hers and pats it, then taps the old ring that he has had since as long as he can remember.

"Keep this old ring. There is more to it than meets the eye. It has looked out for you for years, and from what I can understand of it, it will do so even better in what you are about to do."

ooc: Ring of Protection +1

doghead

thotd
Sadolath

SADOLATH

Sadolath swipes at one of the leaves that is blown his way. Then another. Soon he is caught up in a insane game of dodge and tag within the wild malstom of leaves and branches. He sweeps and cuts and slashes until the ground swallows him up.

Its takes a moment for his eyes to adjust to the gloom. And another for him to get his breath back, it having been knocked out of him by the fall. He's at the bottom of an ancient pit. And he's not alone. Propped up in one corner, barely visible under a covering of old leaves and new growth is the skeleton of a man.

After his initial start, Sadolath craws over to take a look. The skeleton has been down here for ages, the bones long since picked clean of flesh, the clothes rotted away and the iron fittings rusty simulacra of their original shapes. Everything turns to dust - except gold. Three heavy gold crowns lie in amoung the bones. The design on them is strange, Sadolath has never seen its like before (he has seen few crowns, truth be told). A stodgy face on one side, a sunburst from behind a tower on the other. There is something else. Around the mans neck, what Sadolath first thought was just old roots, is actually the strap for something, a pair of googles.

"A present for Sadolath. If he can get out of the hole."

Did he hear it? Was it in his head? The voice is clear and musical and seems to come from everywhere, and nowhere.

Getting out is not that difficult. The walls of the pit have collasped and broken by roots and plants. Its a bit of a scramble and the earth is a little damp from the rains, so its a slightly dirty Sadolath that emerges into the sunlight again. He is alone in the forest. Except for a lingering entreatment.

"Be true to the forests."

Try as hard as he might, he will find no trace of the speaker. Perhaps there was none, as such, to be found.

ooc: Googles of Following. Will need a bit of TLC before you can see through them properly.

Remove ads