• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ic] nameless I: prologue

doghead

thotd
The Captains waves Cromwell back into his seat.

"Your next duty starts at 8 of the clock I believe. We will be done by then and you will be free to return to duty."

He nods as the Oscar and Sadolath speak up, but doesn't answer immediately.

In front of the fire, the Sergeant grunts, as if he has just been proved right about something.

Velmont

First Post
"I'll will warn my family" say Hewik to the Captain, "I would like to know they ar eprepared to face some goblin if they choose to attack there farm next. Any advice they could follow?"

doghead

thotd
"Yes. There are many who need warning, and even more who need defending. As things stand now, the Guard will be hard pressed to accomplish all it must accomplish. Which brings us to today, to this meeting.

"All of you displayed alot courage and not a little wits in handling of yesterday's events with no casualties. Word desperately needs to be got out to the villages and farms, and I need more people to do it. I want you to join the Guard. There is amoung you a good selection of skills and knowledge. And you have already proven your ability to watch each others backs in a fight. You would be Seventh Squad - traditionally a scout and ranger squad in the history of the Guard.

"You don't need to decide here and now. Discuss it with your families if you wish. I'm not going to blow smoke. It will be dangerous. You will be operating mostly alone, and a long way from any support.

"If you choose to join, then be back here at noon.

The Captain turns to Cromwell.

"Cromwell. Please report here at noon. Inform your Sergeant of this as soon as you report for muster.

Then the Captain returns his attention back to the rest of you.

"If you have questions, I will do my best to answer them now."

DrZombie

First Post
"I'll do my part," Nate says "what needs to be done needs to be done. But yesterday we got lucky. Could someone teach us wich way to hold a sword? It's not because I brained 3 goblins with my hammer that I'm a masterfighter all of the sudden."

[OOC : Nate will train as a fighter if possible. In real life things are still very busy, so I'll post whenever]

Argent Silvermage

First Post
"I'm sure that my uncle Avonelle will not want me to do this, but I will join." Oscar says. "The events of yesterday have shown me that I am made of much stronger stuff than I had thought."

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Cromwell stands a bit straighter, pride welling in his chest. He does his best to keep his features even. "Thank you sir. If I may, sir, I will leave to prepare for duty now." Given permission to leave, Cromwell gets his arms and armor ready and kneels for a while in his small quarters, offering a prayer to St. Cuthbert to protect and sheperd the town, and grant His humble servants the courage and might of arms needed to triumph.

Velmont

First Post
"You want me to become a guard? You are talking to the other, yeah, not me? I'm still a kid! Anyway, I don't think I have the strength needed and my father will never let me do that."

doghead

thotd
The Captain listens as each of you respond, nodding with approval, but holding his peace until Hewik speaks up.

"Yes you as much any of the others. The Guard's strength lies in the variety of skills and abilities that each member brings to it. Broadfeet and Tallfellows have for many years been an important part of the Guard.

"I understand the needs of your families. You don't have to make any decisions right now, any of you. Talk to your families. More than ever they need you now. But so to does the Guard, more than ever, need people like you to protect the everything your families have built. Think about it carefully. But remember, whatever decision you make, it is yours to make. You must decide for yourself where you can best serve the needs of those dear to you."

Lisa stands and flicks back her hair in a gesture most of you know to well - she is not about to take no for an answer.

"Well I have made up my mind. So if that is all, I will go now. There is much to do if I am going to do all that needs to be done by noon."

She has never taken well to being told that she cannot do something because she was a girl. And truth be told, she has out run, climbed, swam and fought most of you at one time or another.

There is a strangled snort from the Sergeant, but the Captain just nods to his daughter.

"Yes, I have said all that I need to say. You may leave at any time."

ooc: both Jimny and Mareta are here as well, although so far neither have said anything in particular.

DrZombie

First Post
"Well, like I said, what needs to be done needs to be done, although Master Hurdan might not be pleased. Could you have a word with him?. And where do we report for training?"

doghead

thotd
"If you want to be a soldier ..."

"then be here at noon."

Its the Sergeant who begins the answer to Nates question, but the Captain who finshes it. The Captain continues quickly.

"I'm afraid that I just don't have the time to visit your families. I can provide you with a letter outlining what I have outlined to you. If your parents or masters are insistant about speaking to me, then they can find me here for the next hour. I can't really see what I could say to change matters any, but I will make time to speak to them."

Last edited:

Remove ads