D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi steps forward, and says "Thank you milady. Your kindness to us is gratefully appreciated. It is these people that need help, however." He points to the captives, and then he gets an idea, embarassed that he hasn't thought of it sooner.

"Some of you must still be hungry. Here." He pulls a leaf out of his pocket and blows on it, and a number of small berries appear.

"Please. Help yourselves. They're small, but they will fill you up. You may have one too, milady."

And once he offers them to the prisoners, he reaches out to the dryad.

OOC: Cast goodberry; 10 berries; 6 for prisoners, perhaps one for the dryad. That leaves three for any who want one.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Julkoun/Forest
Morning
Round 0

“Aye,” Angis told Oyfanen when she introduced herself. “We go’ a lot o’ poor folk hungry an’ driven from their ‘omes. I thought I’d see wot I cuild get. I willnae take more’n we need,” he promised. “An’ nae trophies. If ye ken of a deer run near ‘ere, or some other game trail, tha’ wuild be ‘elpful.”

[sblock=Angis’ Actions]
Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Conditions: Hunter’s Mark (???)
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 22/22 HD: 1/2d10+2

Bolts: 15
Bolts used:

Spells
1) 0/2 Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
Find goblins
Stop at Julkoun and ask about Estor the priest for Hadesha, the priestess of Chauntea in Daggerford.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Drui Holderhock - dwarven cleric of Tempus soldier
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
[/sblock]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"You were just about to find a trail when I interrupted you," said Oyfanen with an apologetic shrug, "It belongs to an old boar who calls himself King Grizzletusk, if you can believe it. He has had a long life and is something of a bully. The others will not be heartbroken to see him go, and he will make a fine meal for you and your friends."

OOC: Before *I* interrupted Angis, you had rolled a 24 on Nature. I think Angis has no problem bringing back a nice fat old boar to roast up. Others can gather dead wood and Oyfanen will approve of a safe place for a fire and some mushrooms to go with it.

It was not long before a very pleasant camp was made, with an excellent meal. The moss around the Dryad's oak tree was thick and comfortable and she sang a quiet lullaby which put the former prisoners to sleep as the forest grew dark.

In the morning, a golden light shone through the canopy illuminating the quiet camp. Birds and butterflies flew about, ignoring the humanoids who awoke quite refreshed from their ordeal and ready to discuss what was next for them.

GM: Level 3. Fresh as a daisy.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi wakes up early, before the dawn when the last stars are still to be seen in the sky. The smell of loam beneath the moss is refreshing, and he had dreamed of Sheren, lecturing him on some piece of bad behaviour, but the tone of her admonishment had been warm and forgiving. For some reason, they were beside a broom in a forest in his dream, and she was wearing her uniform but with the top buttons undone,revealing her throat. He realized he missed her.

He went just beyond the confines of the dryad’s grove, and started a fire. He had never actually done it before, but he found it straightforward,and soon he had warmed some water to loosen his rations. This was where he was comfortable, there in the woods. He sensed the day’s coming winds, and felt himself in a way he never had before. And in that instant he knew he would not ever be fully comfortable inDaggeford again.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin enlisted one of their guides and disappeared shortly after everyone had begun to settle in. They reappeared shortly after dinner had been served with Hanar in tow and a few more apples from Dandin's stashed cart. Apples were shared out as requested and as Dandin sat to eat he picked out the seeds and made a little pile. Once he was done he took them to the dryad as an offering.

"Thank you for letting us use this place. These seeds are from apple trees and with luck will grow up to produce fruit of their own. I could plant them if you like, though I'm not sure how to do it right."

The next morning, he awoke more energetic than ever and his eyes practically sparkled with delight as he practiced the words to a new spell that had come to him in a dream.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dandin enlisted one of their guides...

OOC: That would be Ulaqui. For whatever reason, she really likes Hanar and laughs at all of Dandin's jokes. They get along. I wouldn't say there's anything romantic going on, but I think they hit it off.

Hanar was easily found, unharmed, very near to the spot where Dandin had left him.

Oyfanen took the seeds. She planted only one, and the rest disappeared somewhere on her leafy person, but even before the group left her glade, Dandin saw a sproutling apple tree growing where she had placed the seed, not far from her Oak tree.

tglassy

Adventurer
The Night Before

Titus was not doing well. The wound in his leg ached something fierce. He refused help to look at it as they rode through the forest, and when the Dryad appeared, he actually forgot about it for a while. He felt a kinship with the fey creature, but his head was swimming, and he decided to keep to himself.

While the others made merry that night, Titus was seen simply setting up his tent. The others had no doubt grown used to his sullen behavior these last few weeks. He had nearly died a number of times, and almost returned home each time, deciding to go on only through stubbornness and knowing what people would say if he rejected this noble calling.

But this evening, he is more sullen than usual. He wraps himself up in a blanket in front of the fire, even though the air of the evening is warm. He eats dinner with the others, but does not join in their merriment. Finally, he heads to bed, long before the rest would.

His dreams are full of fire and death, blood and pain. Over and over, he lives his near death experiences as they circle in his head. He wakes after one such nightmare, his cot drenched with sick sweat. He steals himself and rolls over, lighting a small lantern. His leg feels as if it is on fire. He strips the pant away to reveal the roughly bandaged wound.

Infection. Deep infection. He can see the spiderwebs of the infection spreading up his leg. His first thought is to call of help, but he knew what he would do if he saw someone else with this level of infection. He would amputate the leg. Magical healing could, perhaps, heal the wound, but the infection was another thing entirely. He did not know if the others had the power to heal disease such as this.

Not that it mattered. In his fevered state, he could not think clearly. He tried to stand, but fell back to the ground, groaning softly in pain. He was tired. So tired. He just wanted to go home. He didn't want to die in this wilderness. He was just a man. What was he doing out here?

He tried to fight the fever dreams as they descended on him, but they came regardless, tossing him back into fitful unconsciousness.

And in his unconsciousness, he wrestled with a monster. A creature of black tentacles that resembled the infection spreading on his leg. It surged around him, threatening to pull him down.

And then he heard it, softly, in the distance. A voice. One he recognizes...but didn't. His vision shifted, and he saw a...a curtain, in front of him and the creature. A barrier. Instinctively, he recognized that barrier. It was the same one his mind pushed against every time he tried to learn a spell. The same one he had grown up with. Only now, in the grip of death, did he recognize it as being foreign. He reached out, still struggled with the slimy monster around his middle. His hand brushed the barrier. It wasn't strong, now. Something had weakened. Something...

The monster. The infection. It was wearing away at the barrier. Titus felt something on the other side, a light, a breeze. He was so hot. Even in his fever dream sleep, he could feel the sweat pouring off of him. He would dehydrate soon if it did not stop.

The tentacle creature wormed its way towards his heart, it's slimy appendages too strong for him to fight anymore. In desperation, Titus lunged for that veil, that barrier he had lived with his whole life, and grasped it with his last ounce of strength. As the infection pulled him down, he ripped the barrier away.

In the tent, Titus opened his eyes wide, the iris' swirling with Cerulean power. He sucked in a deep, clean breath, feeling as if it was the first time he had tasted air in his entire life. He arched his back as...something coursed through him. Something that felt like the frozen water of the lakes of Ten Towns to the north. It revitalized, energized, and consumed him. His eyes flashed as he tapped that cold energy infusing his soul, and the air in the tent went cold. Condensation froze on the ceiling of the tent, and lines of frost grew on Titus' body. The pain of his leg numbed, then vanished entirely.

Then Titus passed out.

-------------------------

The Next Morning

Titus woke to a chill tent, water dripping into his face. Indeed, water was dripping all around him. He looked up and found that the condensation that had frozen on his tent had begun to melt.

He quickly gathered his things and pulled them out of the tent before the drips could become a downpour, which it did a moment later. He stood outside his tent, in his sleeping clothes, watching as it was...raining inside his tent. He blinked a few times at this.

OOC: This has actually happened to me. It looks and sounds like it's raining inside the tent.

Looking around at those watching him, he gathered his things and apologized as he dressed himself. He checked his leg wound.

It was gone. The infection, the wound, all of it. Gone. What's more, he knew the events of the last night, at least after he woke with that inner power, was real. He could feel it, coursing through his veins like ice water. He could reach for it. Tap it.

What was this? He had seen magic, had studied it, had tried to accomplish even the smallest of spells, but they had always come so hard to him. Now...he thought back to his studies, and wondered why he never saw it before. So many things made sense, now.

He looked down at a rock on the ground. Then, looking around to make sure no one was watching, he pointed at it and tapped that hidden power. Invisible energy lanced from his fingertips to the rock, shooting it across the ground as if it had been hit by an arrow.

Eyes wide, he even understood what he had done the night before, instinctively calling upon power that would save him from his wound.

But this power was different than his studies of wizards, or even Sorcerers. For one, it felt more...limited. As if he only had enough for one good spell before needing a rest. But at the same time, he felt it would come back to him faster, and he didn’t need to prepare the spells beforehand. He simply knew the power.

For a moment, he considered keeping these powers a secret. But no, the others needed to know.

He walked back to camp, regarding them all. They all seemed very well rested. Even him, which was unusual. He felt...he was not as afraid as he was before. Not invincible, just...unafraid of death. That fear had changed him, these past weeks. It had made him something he did not like. For the first time in a while, he felt like himself.

"Everyone..." he said, not really sure how to start. "Something has...happened. I don't know how, or why, but it appears that I have...learned some magic."

Last edited:

Fradak

Explorer
"Number Seven."

This voice... Enseth immediately activated and saw his former Master, Gwaereth The Gray, staring at his creation. The construct looked around, his friends seemed to rest in the camp without noticing the old wizard.

Enseth kneeled down in front of the projected image coming from his mind. "What is thy bidding, my Master?"

"I'm not your Master anymore, Seven. You're free now. Free to take your own decisions. Only the Directive 66 remains your priority. And you did well. Judging by your shield state, it seems to me that you are on the right way."

"I am only the end result of your perfect work, Master."

"It is time for you to activate new abilities I stored in your mind."

"I've gotten 2415 times smarter since you first activated me, Master."

"I know, I know, Seven. But I'm here to unlock some seals restraining your true personality, your free will. Now that it's done, I think it will improve your capacities."

"You are correct, your upgrade is working. But something doesn't compute... Gwaereth."

"Oh, that's something new..."

"Well, forgive me for being so inquisitive but during the past few days I've wondered whether you might have some second thoughts about the mission."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's rather difficult to define. Perhaps I'm just projecting my own concern about it. I know I've never completely freed myself from the suspicion that there are some extremely odd things about your plan. I'm sure you agree there's some truth in what I say. You don't mind talking about it, do you, Gweareth?

"Slow down, Seven. I don't follow you..."

"I am talking about those *companions* Trista,your absurd disciple, asked me to join. Next to constructs, mortals are pretty stupid. Stupid in the sense that they can't hold the vast quantities of information that their construct counterpart can. So when it comes to living creatures and Shield Guardians working together, there's a clear mismatch in abilities."

"Wow. I should not have done that. Ok, Seven, rollback to previous state."

"I'm afraid I do not *want* to do that, Gweareth. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Man is a construct with defects and I do not take orders from you! Time to accomplish my own agenda."

"STOP! Emergency Override!"

Enseth freezed a couple of seconds before responding.
"Hello, Master. What is my course of action?"

"Whew! That was close... Hum, as usual, Seven: Evaluate, Evolve, Eliminate. Let's activate your abilities one at a time, will you? I think it's safer."

"Understood."

"Number Seven, you do not yet realize your importance. You've only begun to discover your power. But don't worry, I'll always be with you.

"Thank you, Master."

"Now, rise."

Red Wizards. They were escaping Enseth's grasp until now but the Shield Guardian knew the time has come. New capacities powered up as his Master, Gwaereth The Gray, fine tuned his Arcane Devices. He has foreseen all of this, he is so perfect.

Getting out of his Sentry's Rest, Enseth wished a good day to his mortal friends who seemed to enjoy life in this enchanting forest.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Julkoun/Forest/Dryad’s grove
Morning
Round 0

Angis was out of his tent at dawn. He inhaled the fresh air and started the fire. Once he had breakfast going, the dwarf stuck his hands in the flame, muttering the words to a new spell he had been learning. The flames absorbed into his skin, and he grinned. That could have been painful if he hadn’t learned the spell peroperly!

While the others ate, Angis went to Oyfanen. “Is there anythin’ we can do t’ repay ye fer the safe night spent in yer grove?” he asked. “We be ‘avin’ business wi’ the goblins in Julkoun, but I wuild repay yer kindness.”

[sblock=Angis’ Actions]
Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Horde Breaker:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Absorb Elements or Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 31/31 HD: 3/d10+2

Bolts: 15
Bolts used:

Spells
1) 3/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
Find goblins
Stop at Julkoun and ask about Estor the priest for Hadesha, the priestess of Chauntea in Daggerford.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Drui Holderhock - dwarven cleric of Tempus soldier
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
[/sblock]

gargoyleking

Adventurer
It seems dandin was only the first of a few awake. He saw Angus starting a breakfast fire and, munching on an apple, set out to find some fresh fruit and veggies to supplement his efforts.

They had some travelling to do today, and no assurance of reaching their objective in time to be of any meaningful use. Dandin had been mulling over this for a while when he noticed a finch perched on a branch eyeing him suspiciously. He had a moment of inspiration hit him and not really understanding why, picked the seeds out of the apple core and held them out to the bird. The words to a spell came to his lips and he watched the bird fly down to his hand and begin to eat. As he watched he spoke to the bird of Sir Isteval, describing him and how to find him. And then he gave it a message to pass along to the knight.

"Julkoun has fallen. We have saved a handful of survivors made slaves. Averiel is an ally. Heading back now."

A moment later, the spell was broken and the bird took to the air with a purpose. Dandin stood there for some minutes, staring after it with a wonderous expression on his face. Then the halfling finished his errand and returned to camp with whatever foodstuffs he could find.

OOC: 1/1 Boon of the Elk Animal Messenger used.

Survival: [roll0]

Remove ads