• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Underdogs [a core dnd game]

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Round 4 continued

Assaq pulls Ershe behind him, and uses his wand to Cure some of the grell shaman's wounds.

Adokul takes advantage of the respite to step back and bring up his weapon. He takes a defensive stance.

Mogro closes the gap between himself and his companions. The two warrior companions of Scar Face eye the mounted grell warily. The low growls and raised spears clearly intending to warn Mogro, and his companions, not to try anything. But the gnoll warriors make no move to try anything themselves at this stage.

More gnolls, howling and barking, begin to appear from the forest between the meeting site and the gnoll camp. Of the have dozen in sight, a couple of them are warriors, but not all. But all of them are armed in some way.

[sblock=Round 4 Notes]
Ershe healed 2 pips, lightly wounded (5 pips), no penalty to rolls.
The new arrivals will be in closing range next round.[/sblock]

Round 5

Ershe does a little curing of his own. The wound finally closes, but remains red and tender.

Washi goes still, letting the vegetation hold her, conserving her strength.

Scar Face, sensing that the grell are not going to fight back (or perhaps confident of his warriors ability to hold them, turns on Urthe.

Scar Face steps up to Urthe. He towers above her, but the small gnoll doesn't step back. He growls something, she responds. Scar Face doesn't seem to like what he hears. They argue, back and forth. Scar Face face gets angrier and angrier, punctuating his points with his spear.

The other warrior gnolls, both Urthe's and Scar Face's, shift and stir uneasily. The newly arrived gnolls slow as they approach the the centre of the meeting site. Their howls and barks die away as they drift in, forming a loose circle centred around their Urthe and Scar Face and including the four grell within it. Slowly their numbers swell as more gnolls arrive from the camp.

Scar face turns and addresses the surrounding gnolls, now numbering around a score. Among them about a dozen appear to be warriors, armed with shields and spears. But all of the others are armed in some way, either with daggers or clubs or spears. Scar Face barks and growls something. Some respond with angry howls and by waving weapons. But not all. Not even a majority. Urthe responds. Her comments are met with low growls of approval by many. The argument goes back and forth. Gestures and looks indicate clearly that the grell, both the four who set off at the krell's request, and the three that followed at Urshak's bidding.

Initially it seems that Scar Face does not have the support he needs. But at some point something changes. He changes tack? His comments get low growls of approval from many, and despite her efforts, Urthe seems to struggle to claw back the lost ground.

[sblock=Round 5 Notes]
Ershe healed 2 pips, lightly wounded (3 pips), no penalty to rolls.

OK, flying by the seat of my pants a bit here - trying to keep things from dragging without running anyone over. The above argument probably represents about a minute (10 rounds). It assumes no interrupting actions on your PC's part, but they are free to interrupt, or do something else, if you wish. Ask questions if you have them. If nothing happens to alter the above, I'll pick it up at the top of round 16.

During this time, Assaq's entangle will end, freeing Washi. Loosely enclosed by the gnolls, she stays where she is for the moment. Ershe's spell, entangling Wormis and Kornah, still has couple of minutes remaining.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Assaq listens to the debate tensely, uncomfortable at not understanding, but not yet willing to interrupt Urthe for an explanation at what might be a crucial moment. Clearly it relates to the grell, but which set? Or possibly both? To the others, he says quietly, "The scarred one looks like trouble. If he gains the gnolls' support, I do not think they will be inclined to peace. Look to your wounds, and be ready if we need to fight our way clear."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro looks down at Assaq from the back of Champion. "Just follow behind me. Champion will clear us a path back to home if we need to leave, isn't that right? He pats the horse on the side of its neck.

Autumn

First Post
Ershe nods briefly to his companions. With luck it seems that the gnoll shaman's words will win the day, but if not it would be well to be prepared. He stands ready to protect himself as best he can if thinks get uglier than they are.

OOC: Ready action to cast Barkskin defensively on himself if the gnolls end up hostile.

doghead

thotd
Round 16-20

Urthe begins to talk. Her voice is low, drawing in the gnolls. They are a hostile audience, several times drowning out the small gnoll with howls and barks, urged on by Scar Face and his companions. Urthe rides out these times in silence, then continues. Slowly the mood of her audience turns. Scar Face continues to heckle and goad the others. But fewer gnolls join in the heckling, much to the frustration of Scar Face. Urthe's minority of supporters slowly grows into slim majority. Scar Face growls something and it seems to be over.

Scar Face makes a gesture, and most of the warriors among the gnolls begin to fan out in a circle around Washi, Wormis and Kornah. There are about a dozen in all, almost all armed with spear and shield. They vary in age, with some obviously quite young, and some quite old.

Urthe turns to the four grell.

[sblock=Speak Trader]"I do what I can. Ji'or wanted all you all killed. I convince them you are not party to raid. But the others ... " She shrugs. "They, my people, are afraid. I ask them to go in unknown places. I ask them to try new measures. I can not push them any more. They are angry. Ji'or calls them back to old ways. I cannot push him any more. I cannot be seen to challenge Ji'or. He has protected us well. He is a strong warrior."[/sblock]

Scar Face glares at the four grell as Urthe talks to them. His fingers curl and uncurl around the haft of his spear. His stance is stiff and tense. His eyes glitter with hatred. Urthe does not seem to be spared.

[sblock=Sense Motive DC 17]Scar Face/Ji'or has conceded some ground this time. But he will not give up. He will always be your enemy. He will continue to oppose Urthe and her plan to establish peaceful relations with the grell.[/sblock]

[sblock=Sense Motive DC 21]Scar Face/Ji'or is a bully. While many may long for the certainty of the old ways (even if it leads to certain destruction) and follow him willingly, others seem to be more intimidated into following. Of the dozen warriors, about half move quickly, the rest take their places more slowly. Many glance back in Urthe's direction.[/sblock]

Urthe continues, ignoring Scar Face.

[sblock=Speak Trader]"When ji'or command, the tribe will kill them. He wait for the spell to end. If your friends fight well, their bodies will be respected. You can take them home. If not ..." once more she shrugs. "Tell them to fight well. Tell them to prepare their spirit for return journey."[/sblock]

[sblock=Round 16-20 Notes]Bother, I got my spell casters back to front. So Washi didn't become free after Assaq's spell ended. And given the positioning, Ershe's spell would still be covering Wormis and Kornah. Ershe spell will last 40 rounds. He cast it in round 3. So it has about 20 rounds or 2 minutes to go.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Assaq listens to Urthe, noticing but ignoring the hateful stare of the scarred gnoll, then nods slowly.

[sblock=trader]"That is just. I will tell them."[/sblock]

He turns to Washi, Wormis, and Kornah. "Bad news. When the spell ends, you will be killed," he gestures to the circling guards. "If you fight well, we will be allowed to take your bodies home for the pyre. I..." he hesitates. "I am sorry. You are fools, but you meant to serve the krel. Fight well. Show them what it means to be grell, and your deaths may not be wasted."

[sblock=ooc]Assaq is so tactful!

sense motive 1d20+2=20.[/sblock]

Autumn

First Post
Ershe gives a ragged sigh at Assaq's translation to the condemened grell. This is precisely what he had hoped to avoid.

On the bright side, though, at least it seems they themselves will be spared the same fate.

He remains ready to invoke the land's protection on himself if the fragile truce collapses.

Remove ads