• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Valusia PbP

dpdx

Explorer
Hrynnar - finally.

[Geez, I leave for one day to attend a funeral...]

Hrynnar says few words the entire rest of the trip so far (dutifully taking his watch, causing his comrades no trouble, and recording any new places he finds on his map) and most of them come at the last, as Lellard deserts the group. "Yep, always figured you for a coward... from the first time I saw you. I may be the scum of Valusia, expelled from my clan cause I wouldn't kill a orc child, I may have two friends in all of Argos, I may die childless, but I'll always have the satisfaction of knowing that I wasn't the most dishonorable to ever draw breath. Thank you, Lellard. Your example has set me free, and I can now work to earn the favor of my god and my clan, or die trying."

He turns to his comrades, "You asked about powers earlier, and I didn't speak up because I didn't have any like Gareth, or clerics, or such. Well..." he draws the greataxe, "I told you I make these, when there's time and forge. Now you're about to see one of my other two powers. I've been known to swing a pretty mean one."

[Combat action: draw greataxe, move along most reasonable path to engage in melee.]

[Destan: Another oversight on my part. I'll get them out to you asap.]

[OOC: the person you're trying to PM has to set a preference that allows him to receive them, and you both have to be community supporters.]

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
jakobi

as lellard heads off into the high reeds, jakobi spits, "coward! i'd rather have this young magic-worker at my side here in this swamp than the likes of you leading, that's sure as sh**!"

as lellard's muffled cry and geron's warning float back over the bog, jakobi springs into action. he quickly whips his stabbing sword from its scabbard and gracefully advances a few paces in a half-crouch, his sword held low above the muck.

[COMBAT]draw weapon [move action] and advance to the edge of the thick reeds [move action].[/COMBAT]

Last edited:

Despaxas

First Post
Gareth Fitz Hugh

OOC: That'll teach me to post just before I go to bed and after some beers. If I my add to my earlier post.

Gareth coughs. "Ehm I don't know much about Boggarts but I've lived in this swamp all my life and they've never hurt anyone that I'm aware of. Perhaps we can talk to them? Maybe they'll help us against the Rhelmsians, they're gonna come right through their swamp as well. I don't know, let's see what they want?"
He pauses. "And thank you all for not turning on me. I appreciate it." Gareth smiles at the group, gratitude radiating outwards.

OOC: Then Gareth steps towards the back of the party and readies his action :) that is, he'll cast a Monster Summoning I (Celestial Badger) and it will engage any Boggart that attacks a party member.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Thom Joffson...

"Will they even understand us?" says Thom, "I won't attack until attacked. I'd just as soon as make peace with them as skewer them. Let's try talking if they give us the chance."

Last edited:

berova

First Post
Geron Ren

Weapon readied in hand, but kept low and to his side, any moves Geron makes are slow and purposeful, but he is ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. Geron slowly and calmly raises his free hand just up to the height of his chest, palm open outwards, toward the Bogarts as he attempts to initiate eye contact attempting to determine if they are indeed hostile. Any sudden moves would be a sure sign, as would their continued advance. (if appropriate, Diplomacy [+6])

Combat: [If the Bogarts continue their advance...]
If the Bogarts are armed with crude short spears, Geron would have readied his short sword. Geron pulls back 20' to where his companions are, ready to strike at the first Bogart in his reach.

If they are armed with crude long spears, Geron would have readied his shortbow. Geron pulls back 20' and fires off an arrow at the first Bogart making their way towards him.

After pulling back towards his companions, Geron asks matter-of-factly, "Gareth, have you even seen a Bogart before today?" before offering a wry grin.

Despaxes & Celtavian: similar thoughts crossed my mind, but it's hard, particularly with 4 of the buggars advancing upon you!

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor

ROUND ONE:

Jackobi (+6) 25
Geron (+2) 22
BOGGART A 20
BOGGART B 19
Dalmut (+5) 17
Hrynnar (+2) 13
Thom (+1) 8
BOGGART C 8
Gareth (+1) 7
BOGGART D 3

Jackobi draws his weapon and advances forward to stand should-to-shoulder with Geron, who has drifted backward from the reed bank, a shortsword in hand. An odd sound - half hiss, half roar - issues from one of the unseen boggarts, and you hear feet splashing through pools and muck. In moment, two of the creatures appear - perhaps 20' from Jak and Geron - advancing with spears ready.

Mut blinks, shakes off any hesitation, and orders for people to form ranks. He readies his shield and crouches, perhaps 10' behind Jak/Ger.

Hrynn seems to have his own ideas, however; the mailed dwarf passes Mut with a friendly grunt and makes his way toward the approaching boggarts. He ends his turn slightly in front of Jak/Ger.

Thom heeds Mut's advice and slides forward, standing close to the gangly warrior. From the opposite side of the reeds, you hear more footsteps - heading toward the far side of the bank.

Gareth, appearing slightly disappointed in the boggarts' obviously hostile intentions, begins to chant. SMI has a 1 Round casting time, so your badger will appear at the beginning of your next turn. Cool?

Another set of footsteps joins the most recent. Clearly, two of the four boggarts - those two not in sight - are sprinting around the wall of reeds to come at you from a second direction.

No need to post in order. This should work just fine. When you attack, please post your modifier - I don't think I've added that to my spreadsheet (but I will). If you summon a creature, please post its relevant stats (hp, AC, atk, etc.) if you have them handy. If not, no big deal.

Everyone will be able to engage in melee this next round, should you choose to do so.

If I failed to explain something or give you required info, lemme know! Thanks!

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Thom Joffson...

Thom looks real scared now, "Don't tell my father or mother about what I'm going to do Dahlmut. They'd be real sore at me."

Thom watches for the other two boggarts, sweat droplets forming on his forehead, his eyes following the reed wall and the sound of running boggarts.

[Combat] For round two:
Standard action: Thom readies to cast sleep on the two boggarts running beyond the reed wall as soon as they come into sight. (Will Save DC 13 to resist. 2d4 hit dice worth of monsters)

OOC: I'm not sure if we are round two, but Destan's seemed to indicate that we are. There is nothing else I can do in round 1, so I posted what I do in round 2 now that things are rolling
OOC:

Last edited:

Despaxas

First Post
Sure Destan, that's about what i wanted :)

So if I'm correct we are now at round 2? and this round is when my badger will attack.

Gareth calls out to the badger in a voice that sounds like an angelic choir. Trumpets almost seem to sound as counterpunction of his voice. hehe, Celestial rocks. I just told the badger to attack the nearest Boggart Then Gareth again raises his hands and begins chanting. I'm going to summon yet another badger to engage the boggarts coming from the other side, and I will try to find a safer spot.

Celestial Badger stats: 8 hp, AC:15, 2 claw attacks +6 to hit 1d2+1 dmg, 1 bite attack +1 to hit 1d3+1 dmg. Smite Evil +1 dmg, resist acid/cold/electricity 5, SR 6, speed 30ft, initiative +3, Rage special ability.

Mut

"Thom, whatever you're about to do, you're doing it to protect your folks. I seriously doubt that they'd mind." Dahlmut does some quick calculations as he looks at the visible Bogarts and then at the other end of the reed wall, 40 feet away. "I'm going to move up and help Hrynnar, although I'm not sure he needs it," Dahlmut muses as he watches the dwarf taunting the two Boggarts with his axe. "Call out if you need help."

Move toward the two visible Boggarts (20' maximum)
If I'm within melee range (shortspear), I'll attack (+3 melee)
Otherwise I'll move again to put me in range.

"Jakobi!" Dahlmut calls as he approaches, "I hope that sword of yours is as sharp as your tongue!"

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Thom Joffson...

"You guys aren't going to leave me standing here alone to face two boggarts?" says Thom. He makes his way over to the others while still maintaining his watch on the reed wall.

'I hope this works on more than small animals', Thom muses.

[Combat]Round two: append move action to previous action:
Move action: Move behind Jakobi, Geron and Dahlmut.

Last edited:

Remove ads