D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Ensemble)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit raises his hand, holding a loaf of bread.

"Uh, I have good boots and all that, but huh, even if I get us around the traps, wont we just get blasted by the dragon? And how much does this pay? It sounds pretty dangerous and I have, huh, expenses and stuff".

Udit narrows his eyes, looking at the wizard's scars"... you got blasted by the dragon didn't you? Why aren't your friends helping you? And who's her?!?"

Udit tore off a large bite of his loaf of bread and looked at the wizard, chewing.

Chronicler

Explorer
av-devan.jpg
[sblock="Status Box"]Devan the Dawnbringer
NG (L) Human Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft. | Senses: Passive Perception 13

Initiative: +2 | Armor Class: 18 | Hit Dice: 1d6+3d8+8+1 | Hit Points: 30

Spell Slots: 1st-lvl: 2, [W] 2nd-lvl: 2 | Concentration: None

Affected by: None | Conditions: None[/sblock] Listening intently to Master Imani, Devan was struck by how much older the burn scar on the sage's face made him look. It was as if the injury carried a weight of age along with the obvious physical deformity. And he could only imagine the shock and pain that the older man must have felt when he had set off the trap that had seared him. But at least he had escaped with his life and lived to tell the tale.

And now he's asking us to return to the very place he ran from, the Inquisitor mused, wryly. The extreme danger of facing an undead dragon and all of its cultists was not lost on him as he questioned his own sanity for the umpteenth time. But the stakes were apocalyptically high and some causes were worth dying for. If this Staff was really everything that the wizard said it was, then it was imperative that they kept it out of the hands on those who would abuse its power.

"Count me in, Imani," Devan announced despite his reservations. Internally, he only hoped that he wouldn't come to regret today's decision.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Imani nods his head; he had expected many questions. "The Company of the Sunlit Sea parted ways many years ago. We still strive to empower the forces for good in this world, but we do so from all over the realms. We operate from here in the Dalelands, to the Sword Coast, and beyond. Each of us doing our part." He coughs, and then sighs, We aren't as young as we once were."

He pauses for a moment to reflect on times past, and then continues, "I have scouts, spies, and scrying pools - all of my resources have been set toward this task. I can assure you, the Dragon remains dormant at this time, making it the ideal time to strike."*

*[sblock=Insight DC 12]He's fairly certain. He hopes.[/sblock]

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Imani closes his eyes, grateful that there are still men of good character such as Devan, Drako, and Kurzon in the world. (Not to sleight the rest of you).

He continues to answer questions: "The staff is Diamond, and engraved in Elvish script. There should be no mistaking it. It is most certainly kept within the most secure vault of the temple - where the Bhaalites performed their dark rituals. The chamber is protected by four wards; each ward is contolled by an Idol of Bhaal. I have been able to confirm that the idols cannot be more than a few hundred feet - a thousand, at most - from the wards. They must be in there, and they must be found, before you dare attempt to take the staff."

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Suddenly remembering Kurzon's question, and seeing a lot of grumbling among the more mercinary adventurers that are present (NPCs!), Imani announces, "You must bring me the Staff - but only the Staff - everything else you find is yours for the keeping. The Cult of the Dragon uses vast resources for their nefarious schemes. And remember - it is a Dragon's lair. There should be more riches than you can carry."

He clearly hopes that will attract the more material adventurer.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Time is of the essence. I sincerely hope you will join me in thwarting this evil. Prepare for an immediate journey! We will travel by teleport to a camp just outside the Temple. I will be upstairs peforming the spell. Bring as much food as you like, and come as soon as you will. May Tymora bless us all!" With that proclamation, Imani returns to the room above.

A few adventurer's mutter about the danger not being worth the risk, take some food, and head for the door.

The halfling heads up the stairs, whistling to herself. The large one-legged man straps on his prosthetic.

Lowell asks "Would any of you like me to send a message to your family? I have pen and ink."

tglassy

Adventurer
(IC) Vault of the Dracolich

"All of my family is here," said the large earth Genasi. He and the other three Genasi stood and made their way to the stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

River Song

Explorer
"Thanks you but no," Kurzon shakes his head at the offer. "Will we be able to be resupplied with food and water after we leave here?"

Kurzon heads up to face his fate wondering if any of the others are brave, or stupid, enough to follow.

eayres33

Explorer
Drako Sateen

“Many thanks, my good man,” Drako said towards Lowell, “but I have no family to notify.”

Drako quickly finished off his glass of ale before heading up the stairs. The voices in his head were starting to quiet down and he was feeling more himself by the minute.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
With a resounding bang the front door flies open. Framed in the light is an imposing figure strides forth into the receiving hall. After a moment of the blinding light, details can be made out. A tall human with dark hair and eyes wearing a chain shirt with some padding underneath it and little else. Tattoos of a tribal nature cover the exposed portions of the statuesque body, giving the otherwise plain man a fear inspiring presence. He caries a selection of weapons, most notably a Warhammer and battleaxe on his belt as well as 6 javelins poking out from behind his back. The only other notable feature is a small wooden 'totem' tucked into the straps of his armor, from which a wolf's head has been carved, and it seems another shape is beginning to emerge.

The man looks confidently around the room before announcing in his best heroic voice. "Never fear! Bobranthus, son of Bobryth has come to bash the heads of evil!"

Remove ads