• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Ensemble)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When the last of the adventurers, and Imani, arrive by teleport, the old wizard heads to his tent, when he retrieves a wooden box. Inside the box are a set of four flat, rune-painted stones. Imani explains, "These are sending stones - capable of communicating across a great distance."

He hands one to Devan and turns to the others, "Who will join this man, and who will stay behind in reserve? We must be cautious - we must not disturb the Dragon - a frontal assault would most likely prove foolhardy. Once we have an idea as to what we need, we may send others to join you."

OOC: How many characters/players do we have? I will have a look. If we can make two groups of four, we can split-up and try two different ways in (more on that to follow). If there's only six, we should do it in one group. Let's see... we have 4 Genasi (1 player), 1 Warlock, 1 Sorcerer/Warlock, 1 Rogue, and 1 Paladin, and 1 Barbarian.
That's six (if three Genasi stay behind) so for now, we'll call that one party. If more players show up, we will split the party... I know!

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Drako Sateen,

Drako stepped from the teleportation circle slightly shaken, he never had liked teleporting it always left him confused afterwards. Half hearing Volyana Drako picked an open spot and started setting up his tent.

A Half-Orc announced himself as Kurzon a warrior of Tyr, “Greetings Kurzon warrior of Tyr. I am Professor Drako Sateen, an expert on the mysteries of the ones that have come before, and handy enough with the blade.”

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
... a few minutes prior

As the Wizard Imani chanted and teleported another batch of adventurers, Udit appeared in the doorway of the room, a bulging sack filled with food carried over his shoulder.

"Now now, I know you're all powerful and mighty and have a desperate need, but I didn't quick my net mending job to work for promises of treasures that may or may not materialized. I've been on this wagon ride before - get sent somewhere where there will be countless riches, only to have most of my fellows killed and not a silver piece show up! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me three times, huh, shame on me! I'll help those heroes find your precious staff, and you do tell a good tale, but darnation, I can't work for free again - and a sack of food won't cut it. It's the *principle* of the thing!"

Udit punctuated this point with his heavy boot stamping on the ground.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Imani sighed long and deep. "I had hoped to be able to offer gold up front - I would have hired many more. Perhaps a mercenary company, if one could be found that could be trusted. Alas, I have spent most of my fortune on this pursuit." He confided to Udit.

"No, I am afraid I cannot offer anything that will not be an ibsult. Not in time, at any rate. Perhaps I could sell this tower..." He paused, looking around at his home with no small emotion. "But not today. Not in time. No, I am afraid you must take my word: Should you survive, and for some reason I cannot imagine, emerge with nothing more than your life - and the staff - if that is all, I will be forever in your debt. I will find a way to repay you."

" I cannot force you to come. You must search your heart. And you must decide now."

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"I will hold you to your word, Wizard"

Udit stepped forward to the circle. He was a bit disappointed that the wizard had failed his test. He guessed that meant that he wasn't going to return the silverware he had grabbed along with the food. But if the wizard spoke true... if he had spent most of his fortune, why did he have so little to show for it in terms of results?!?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At the Wizard's command tent there is much discussion. Eventually it is decided that the gathered force will be split into two teams. To that end, Imani gives another sending stone to Kurzon, and Kurzon and Devan select their teams from those assembled, leaving a few behind in camp for security, reinforcements, or whatever other purpose the gods might see fit.

Imani looks pleased to be moving toward success, "Now we must decide on our best approach. We have identified four ways in -"

"Seven, really." interrupts Volyana. "But three are chimneys. You would have to climb the black rock and descend a vertical shaft... it would not be easy, but it would be unexpected."

"Four, unless you like the sound of that." continues Imani, slightly irritated, "The way I went in, years ago, was through a cave entrance in the south face. It is also a bit of a climb, but I was young then. At the time, a tribe of orcs lived there. The Company of the Sunlit sea did great battle that day!"

Imani pauses in reflection, and Volyana, impatient, says "There are no orcs now. Corrah has been near those caves and she says they smell of Troglodytes."

Imani nods, "Alternately, on the north side, there is a spot where the river runs into another cave. The banks are steep, but I have hired a Reghedman named Loklafd to build us their ingenious watercraft, should you decide that way."

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While the assembly considers those two courses, Corrah the halfling, dusty and out of breath, returns to report, "The wagon is an hour or so from the bridge and Volyana was right - it's more of Bartaby's men."

GM:
Bartaby, known as "The Beast" is an infamous Mercenary Captain from the south. His banner strikes terror in those who oppose him, and his men, the Beast Boys are accused of murder, rape, and worse. You can decide if your character knows of them.

While Corrah makes this report to Volyana on the side, Imani continues, "The other two ways in are the main gate of the Temple itself, and the Watchpost - a side door higher up, from which the gate, the river, and the bridge can be seen. I don't see how either of these can be good options, but as Sir Istival always told me, I have no head for these things."

"You must chose the two courses you feel have the greatest chance of success."

Last edited:

Remove ads