• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Ensemble)

tglassy

Adventurer
"For reasons I'd rather not get in to," Pyrus said, looking exasperated, "we aren't able to all go together. In fact, it is best if we do not work together in this. So, one of us will go with each team that sets out. You must pick which one will be best, and to that course, allow us to explain our strengths.

"I am born of the Fire. Darkness is not something I fear, so I require no additional light. I have power over fire and ice, Light and Dark, and can strike fear into my enemies. I am not proficient with weaponry, though my mind is strong enough that I don't have to be."

"I'm not afraid of falling," Auraia said. "I have control over the winds. Those chimneys don't scare me at all. I don't need to breath, and am able to teleport from place to place. I can also do this," she opens her hand, and a blade made from psionic energy materializes, extending from her fingertips, "And can fight with the best of them."

"Show off", Pyrus said.

"You're calling me a show off, Mr 'Master of Fire and Ice, Light and Dark'?"

"Please," Aquaria said, "Be calm." She turned to the rest, "I am not afraid of the river. In fact, I would prefer it. I do not need a boat, and can scout ahead of it to make sure the path is clear. I can also offer healing, and can bolster the moral of those around me. I do not usually fight, but am not defenseless."

Terrus nodded at this statement. "I also can go through the river. Or the Chimneys. Or anywhere, for that matter. I can adapt my body to any environment, and I do not need to breathe, eat, nor sleep. In battle, I would prefer to fight my enemy face to face, my greatsword in hand."

"Yet, none of you can see in the dark, as I can," Pyrus said, to which Terrus nodded again. Pyrus looked to the rest. "Choose which you prefer on each team. The others will wait for additional teams."

Chronicler

Explorer
av-devan.jpg
[sblock="Status Box"]Devan the Dawnbringer
NG (L) Human Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft. | Senses: Passive Perception 13

Initiative: +2 | Armor Class: 18 | Hit Dice: 1d6+3d8+8+1 | Hit Points: 30

Spell Slots: 1st-lvl: 2, [W] 2nd-lvl: 2 | Concentration: None

Affected by: None | Conditions: None[/sblock] Pocketing the sending stone given to him by Master Imani, Devan nodded to the wizard in thanks and then informed him, "My team will retrace the path that you and the Company of the Sunlit Sea followed in the past. Perhaps we shall have better luck than you did all those years ago."

Caves, whether infested with orcs or troglodytes, sounded far more appealing to the young Inquisitor than an aquatic approach. Especially when taking into account the weight of the armor that some of his people were wearing. It was simple logic really, a dry infiltration was their best chance for success.

Turning to the group of bickering Genasi, Devan cleared his throat and interrupted them, "From what I understand, this is probably a one-way mission. And while I've already accepted my own death as a given, I would like to think that at least one member of our team will survive to tell our tale. For this reason, I'd like to choose Terrus to accompany us." He paused to give the indomitable mystic a moment to decide.

tglassy

Adventurer
Terrus nodded, stepping over to stand next to Devan. Pyrus rolled his eyes, but his two sisters seemed content enough.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit rose his hand:

"I know boats. I'll go with the river group. Bobrathus can go the other way. Based on how he entered the tower he's going to get us killed, and don't feel like being there for that".

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Sesto, who has been quiet up until now, suggests:
"I would prefer the dry route too. I will sink like a stone if I try to to swim in this! But A boat may be fine unless I fall in..."

Sesto points at the other three burly men:
"No, I want to go with Devan, Terrus and Bobrathus"

tglassy

Adventurer
We could use you, Terrus mentally told Pyrus. As you said, it will be dark. Your abilities in this regard would be useful.

Pyrus rolled his eyes. "I will be joining my brother," Pyrus said, stepping forward. "He would be nothing without me, anyway."

"And my sister and I will go the river route," Aquaria said, having had a similar discussion with her sister through telepathy. "Neither of us fear drowning, and we could be of great help to the group."

OOC: Talked with the DM, and we're going to try me controlling two characters in each party. If anyone has any objections, either now or later, please don't hesitate to voice them. It is easy enough to subtract a player later.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Very pleased that all that is settled, Imani informs you, "There is three hours before sundown here, not that it will matter to you once you are inside. I would appreciate you using the sending stone to contact me every hour. You can also contact me if you need my advice. If you are in very desperate need, I can teleport you using the stone as a focus for retrieval or send reinforcements in the same way. We must not use this frivolously - only ask in the most dire need. May Tymora bless you all."

With that, the groups gather their needed gear, and head to the rise, where they have their first sight of the opposing peak - a barren mountain of craggy black rock. It is in stark contrast with the more rounded, grassy mountaintop where the camp is hidden. Undeterred, the two parties move down the mountainside, toward the river that separates the two peaks - and toward destiny.

GM: It's like this, but darker, and uglier. This would be facing east.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Black Mountain.jpg
    Black Mountain.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 237

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Before the two groups set off, Sesto consider Imani's words. The words worries him but nothing will stop him from accepting this task. Evil is present in many forms and must be fought with fervour. Still, he is apprehensive and turns to Imani and says:
"Just a moment, please. I wish to pray for our good fortune and safe return."

Sesto kneels on one knee and faces the holy symbol of Lathander on his shield. He quietly delivers a short prayer and those close by could make out the names of every person in the two groups. Before long, Sesto stands up and grabs his few belongings and says:
"I am ready. Let us start."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit speaks up.

"I'll hold your speaking stone - I'm used to carrying stuff. Is there a map of the area? Even a rough sketch would help"

(OOC: the player is having a bit of a hard time picturing the layout of the land)

Udit turns to the others. He nods to Kurzon, Drako, Aquaia and Auria in turn.

"Ok folks, erm, I'm a human so I can't see in the dark like you, but baring that I pay attention. We've got a bow and 2 crossbows here so that's good, we should let the bad guys come to us. No need to rush in and be all hero-like. I know that this is an important job etc, but if we get killed... we can't do it now can we? So erm, I'm Udit, I'm an adventurer. I can do a few little magic tricks but I'm no wizard... do we have a wizard? Maybe you Drako? Anyway if suddenly bad guys look all confused and baffled, that's me, but don't hit them, they'll snap out of it."

"Anyway, uh, I"m good with boats so I'll be helping with that. Rule no one is don't flip the freaking boat."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads