Icemist and Beyond: Characters from Small Beginnings

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Here she is, Miss Rora Angel herself!

fett527 said:

Ah...the Gauntlets of Ogrishness. Such a fun item. I happened to be playing the Swashbuckler that kept the ogre in line and had to convince him to take off the gloves just about every time. Funny thing is, that wasn't even the tip, sliver or chip of the iceberg as far as magic items with drawbacks.

That's the thing to remember, and painful to the wearer. No one has wanted to endure the pain. Remember, we are big on roleplaying and not one of the characters has had any inclination to use the ring...until recently.

Great...Fett's even doing it now...throwing out those little 'teasers' just like Enk & DShai! ;)

LiVeWiRe

Re: Re: While we wait...

fett527 said:

We have had conversations about this very issue. As a matter of fact dshai had decided as a house rule when we started that we could not put ranks into untrained skills unless we found someone experienced enough (5 ranks at least) to train with. Also, we could not increase in level in another class without someone of sufficient experience in that class (at least 5th level) to train with. Any of these could be overruled by the DM for special circumstances of course.

Thanks for the questions, please keep asking as I really enjoy this!

I like those house rules for skills and level gains!

Also, what has the rate of (level) advancement been like for the group? Asking because my group is gaining levels fairly quickly and was wondering about this group...

Hopefully you'll be able to answer that without giving too much away! ;)

Thanks!

dshai527

First Post
Advancement has been moderate in my opinion. I'm sure the players think it is too slow but it has worked just fine. One of the things we did differently this time was to take XP out of the players hands. This does not mean that they don't get XP but they don't know what they get, as in, I keep track of everything. This allows them to concentrate on roleplay and not when the next level is or how close they are to it.

It is a lot more book-keeping for me, but they seem to enjoy the game more this way. They play to their current strengths and not what they may have in the future. All in all though they are about 5th level after 9 months of play. We only game for about 5 hours on Sundays with two weeks on and one week off. (This also doesn't account for lost or spent XP. I will let that one remain a mystery until the story catches up.) Boy do we have some fun stuff ahead!!!!

fett527

First Post
Brother Theo

Theobold Hillshire

Human Male Cleric 2; medium sized humanoid (human); HD 2d8+6; hps 22; Init +1 (+1 Dex); Speed 30 ft; AC 17 (+1 Dex, +4 armor, +2 Shield); Attack: BAB: +1; +2 (Flail, light); Dmg: 1d8 (x2) (Flail, light); SV Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +7; AL CG; Str 13, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 14.

Languages: Torian, Abyssal

Skills: Concentration +7, Craft (Calligraphy) +3, Diplomacy +4, Heal +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +3, Knowledge (Nature) +2, Profession (Herbalist) +6, Spellcraft +4, Spot +1

Feats: Extra Turning (Lightning Bolts), Power Attack

Special Abilities: Cleric Armor and Weapon Proficiencies, Spells, Domains and Domain Spells, Spontaneous Casting, *Turning (Lightning Bolts), Extra Turning (Lighting Bolts)

Domains: Air- Turn Earth/Rebuke Air Creatures, Obscuring Mist; Healing- Healing spells +1 caster level, Cure Light Wounds

Spells per day: 4+1/3+1

Weapons, Armor and Items of Interest:
Flail, light
Chain shirt
Large wooden shield
Potion of Vision
Wishbone's brew of stealth
Wishbone's brew of health

*Turning (Lightning Bolts)
Brother Theo is one of the rare priests of Zuras that are considered Zuras Touched. He is able to harness lightning and discharge it at his foes. The lightning bolts are used in place of turning/rebuking undead. The bolts will strike enemies without error when they are not engaged in melee combat and will strike foes in melee with a ranged touch attack. He can throw one bolt per turning attempt (so he has 9 bolts to throw at 2nd level 3+2(charisma modifier)+4(extra turning)). Each bolt does 1d4+1 for damage.

Black Bard

First Post
Brother Theo

It`ve been quite a challenge to visit ENworld, but at least the effort is worth...:D

I see that Theo was touched not only by Zuras, but by Lady Luck herself!! He ended up with really good stats...

Anyway, I found the "Lightningbolt" thing very interesting, but I have an answer... Does the damage dealt by the bolts increase with level???

fett527

First Post
Indeed Theo's player rolled the best for stats I believe. We were all sitting there watching him roll them so they are legitimate.

I'll get you more specifics on the lighting bolt power as it does have more advantages as Theo goes up levels.

LiVeWiRe

dshai527 said:
Advancement has been moderate in my opinion. I'm sure the players think it is too slow but it has worked just fine. One of the things we did differently this time was to take XP out of the players hands. This does not mean that they don't get XP but they don't know what they get, as in, I keep track of everything. This allows them to concentrate on roleplay and not when the next level is or how close they are to it.

It is a lot more book-keeping for me, but they seem to enjoy the game more this way. They play to their current strengths and not what they may have in the future. All in all though they are about 5th level after 9 months of play. We only game for about 5 hours on Sundays with two weeks on and one week off. (This also doesn't account for lost or spent XP. I will let that one remain a mystery until the story catches up.) Boy do we have some fun stuff ahead!!!!

That's cool! :cool:

I really like the idea of characters not knowing exactly where they 'stand' in regard to their next level, etc. It makes things a bit more realistic I think and places the emphasis on roleplaying which is awesome!

"5th level after 9 months of play for approx. 3 weeks/mo."

My character is 6th lvl after 10 months of play (but only once per month)...thought our advancement was a little accelerated but this makes it pretty definitive. Thanks!

"Lost or spent XP"???? That should be interesting! Looking forward to seeing how that transpired!
If the Ring of Bone and the Gauntlets of Ogrishness are any indication, then I'm sure you do indeed have some fun stuff ahead! :D

LiVeWiRe

fett527 said:
Indeed Theo's player rolled the best for stats I believe. We were all sitting there watching him roll them so they are legitimate.

I'll get you more specifics on the lighting bolt power as it does have more advantages as Theo goes up levels.

Just want to be sure I"m following this Lightning bolt thing correctly...

Theo has the lightning bolts instead of the ability to turn undead? i.e. He doesn't have any chance of turning any undead creatures?

Thanks for the info Fett! Keep the characters, etc. coming! :D

*waits for Dshai to hand over more character sheets and info to Fett*

LiVeWiRe

Re: Brother Theo

Black Bard said:
It`ve been quite a challenge to visit ENworld, but at least the effort is worth...:D

I second that Black Bard! I had 2 days off of work this week and was planning on posting a bunch here...well, just guess when I wasn't able to access the boards!! :confused:

Remove ads