• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Idea: Metagame Feats!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Awakened said:
Have you seen the "reducing level adjustment" rules in Unearthed Arcana? There's a system that allows you to pay some experience every now and then to drop your level adjustment. Thus, instead of effectively allowing a PC to gain two levels at once (as this feat would) the system rather puts a character with LA closer to the next level.
This works pretty well in practice, as the racial benefits that are so nice but pricey early on don't become a burden in the later game. I definitely suggest checking it out, as it's not too different than this idea. I believe the first level where this option is available is 6th.
Hmm, I didn't know that was in Unearthed Arcana. I'll take a look. Thanks.

As for the feat, I'd already considered changing the BAB requirement to a level requirement.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Edheldur said:
In my campaign, I've been using the Reducing level adjustment rule from Unearthed Arcana, and haven't had any complains about it.

It's 3rd level if you LA is 1, 6th and 9th if its 2 (1 at 6th, one at 9th).

You can find all the relevant information about it HERE.
Using the info on the SRD as basis, here's a revision of the feat...

Reduce Level Adjustment [Metagame]
You are exceptional for a creature of your kind.
Prerequisites: Two ability scores of 18, character level 6th, must have a level adjustment of +2 or higher, XP cost (see below).
Benefit: Your character's level adjustment is considered to be 1 less than normal. This reduces the character's total effective character level (ECL) by one for the purpose of all game rule benefits and restrictions.
The character must also pay an amount of XP equal to (his current ECL – 1) x 1000, as per the rules given in D&D Unearthed Arcana (pgs. 18-19). This amount is immediately deducted from the character's XP total. The deduction should reduce the character's effective character level (ECL) by 1. (If this deduction would not reduce the character's ECL by 1, the character's XP total is set at the maximum of the level below his current ECL instead.)
This XP cost can't be reversed in any way, and the payment must be voluntary on the part of the character. The payment must be made immediately upon the selection of this feat.
You cannot use this feat with Monster Classes.
Normal: You must apply a character's entire level adjustment to determine its total effective character level (ECL).
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time it is selected, your' character's level adjustment is reduced by 1. You can never reduce your character's level adjustment to less than one-half of its original number (rounded down).
For example, if the character is a doppelganger (LA +4), then its level adjustment can only be reduced to a minimum of +2, by selecting the feat twice. A bralani eladrid (LA +5) character could also be reduced to +2 (rounded down from 2.5), but it would have to take the feat 3 times.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Improved Reduce Level Adjustment [Epic, Metagame]
You are considered supreme for a creature of your kind.
Prerequisites: Reduce Level Adjustment, two ability scores of 25, character level 21st, must have a level adjustment of +1 or higher, XP cost (see below).
Benefit: Your character's level adjustment is considered to be 1 less than normal. This reduces the character's total effective character level (ECL) by one for the purpose of all game rule benefits and restrictions.
The character must pay an amount of XP equal to (his current ECL – 1) x 1000, as per the rules given in D&D Unearthed Arcana (pgs. 18-19). This amount is immediately deducted from the character's XP total. The deduction should reduce the character's effective character level (ECL) by 1. (If this deduction would not reduce the character's ECL by 1, the character's XP total is set at the maximum of the level below his current ECL instead.)
This XP cost can't be reversed in any way, and the payment must be voluntary on the part of the character. The payment must be made immediately upon the selection of this feat.
You cannot use this feat with Monster Classes.
Normal: You must apply a character's entire level adjustment to determine its total effective character level (ECL).
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time it is selected, your' character's level adjustment is reduced by 1. You can reduce your character's level adjustment to zero with this feat.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Also, what about the idea of letting a character cast miracle or wish to reduce a character's level adjustment? Would you allow that?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Another idea for a feat...

Improved Combatant [Metagame]
You fight better than normal than others of your class.
Prerequisites: Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, or Combat Reflexes, key ability scores must be at least 18, character level 10th, must have a base class with a base attack bonus progression of average or poor.
Benefit: Your class’s base attack bonus progression improves to the next higher level.
Thus, a wizard’s BAB (poor) improves to average, while a cleric’s BAB (average) improves to good.
Special: You may take this feat more than once. Each time it is taken it applies to a different base class.
This feat cannot be applied to prestige classes, and it cannot be applied to a base class more than once.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Why are you attaching ability requirements to these feats? Level requirements do the job just fine.

I don't like this new feat because it alters one of the game's most basic balancing mechanics. This feat is indispensible to just about any character with an average BAB. Any time a player would say "why wouldn't I take this feat?", it means the feat is too good.

TS

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tequila Sunrise said:
Why are you attaching ability requirements to these feats? Level requirements do the job just fine.

I don't like this new feat because it alters one of the game's most basic balancing mechanics. This feat is indispensible to just about any character with an average BAB. Any time a player would say "why wouldn't I take this feat?", it means the feat is too good.

TS
The high ability prerequisites are to make the feat tougher to qualify for. I think it would be tough for a Wizard to have 18s in Dex and Con, as well as Int, even by 10th-level. It likely wouldn't be as hard for a Cleric to have 18s in Con and Cha, as well as Wis, but that's why I'm posting it here. To get some fedback.

Part of me thinks it might be better as an Epic feat. The ability score requirements would increase to somewhere between 21 to 25. Likely I'd say that the character simply needs two ability scores of 25 or higher. And the character would have to qualify to take Epic feats.

Kisanji Arael

First Post
These seem steep, but they wouldn't cut it for me. The only things I would consider trading for reduced ECL is attribute loss, permanent sterility, or the ability to refer to the character's player as "supreme munchkin [insert name here]" during his wedding ceremony.

"Do you, Elena, take uber-munchkin Frederick Jerome Peters to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

Yeah, I think that would cover it for me. I don't know, though. I don't really like negotiating to make my players' lives easier in game. Maybe those bottom feats would work. Not the BAB feat, though.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kisanji Arael said:
Yeah, I think that would cover it for me. I don't know, though. I don't really like negotiating to make my players' lives easier in game. Maybe those bottom feats would work. Not the BAB feat, though.
The BAB feat was my idea, actually. :eek:

I'm always looking for new ways to change the game, provide new options, and make my game world more unique.

Draxo

First Post
Some creatures have an LA that is far far out of proportion for their power and abilities. The thing is, they tend to also have racial HD: and Racial HD are pretty much worthless copmpared to class levels.

It is further compounded when the player is trying to make a spellcaster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads