• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideas for a viking campaign needed

Jolly Giant

First Post
Ideas for a low-magic, viking-style campaign needed (long, I know...):

My current campaign is nearing its end after four years. At this points the PCs have 30+ class levels, have ascended to divine rank 1 and are about to become the focal-point of major inter-planar war between the deities of good and evil. Obviously, it can't go on much longer! :eek: I'll DM them through the war, just to get a chance to rework the pantheon of my homebrew world. ;)

Our group has run plenty of campaigns within that world, and I'm sure we'll get back to it in the future, but after this campaign I wanna try something different. Something low-magic. Living in the middle of viking country (I can see 3 major landmarks of viking history from my living room window! :D AND I'm named after a son of Odin! :D :D ) and being a long time amateur-student of norse mythology, I figure I'll make up my own little Vikings D20 campaign.

I've figured most of the setting and game-mechanics out already. It'll be as close to D&D as possible, since that's the one game everyone in the group knows and loves. The game world will be basically by our world, but as the vikings believed it to be. There will be a few magical creatures living in it; trolls and fey-like creatures from norse myth and folklore, Loch Ness type monsters in the ocean and a select few others. There'll be no PC magic users, but maybe one or two NPC witches. ;)

As the PCs grow more powerful, I'm thinking of letting them go to Asgard; see the sights and battle some jotnir. ;) Maybe they'll even get to fight those terrible black-skinned elves that's supposed to live north of Valhalla! :p Once the campaign reaches those levels there'll be tons of great stories to steal out of the sagas, so that's okay.

Before we get that far, I'd like to run the campaign in Midgard ("Middle Earth"; the viking name for what D&D calls "the material plane") for some time. (Preferably in the far north. Frostburn has some stuff I'd quite like to use. ;) ) And here's where I'm stuck: What "quests" to send young viking warriors on? And in the far north, too? Vikings traditionally travelled south-wards for all their plundering and pillaging needs. :p

Any low-level, low-magic campaign ideas welcome. They don't have to be tied to the arctic, but I'd consider it a nice bonus if they are. :D

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Go to www.giantitp.com

The articles on worldbuilding are really cool. The author goes though and basically builds a setting in front of you; it's not quite done yet, but so far it is a low-magic setting with vikings. As an added bonus, GiantITP also has an excellent fantasy/D&D webcomic called Order of the Stick.

Phineas Crow

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
Any low-level, low-magic campaign ideas welcome. They don't have to be tied to the arctic, but I'd consider it a nice bonus if they are. :D

I'm a fan of starting a campaign off on a mystery and a plot based on theLost Vikings of Greenland was the first idea that I got.

The PCs arrive by longship at a remote colony, where they are greeted only by the sound of falling snow. The village is empty, devoid of life. Inside the stone houses the tables are set, meals laid out which have long gone cold.

The snowfall thickens, becoming a blizzard, making sea travel impossible. The silence is suddenly broken by distant howls.

Does it need to be north? You could have them explore the arctic wastes, encountering frost elves/goblins/whatever, investigate reports of Finnish witchery (the Finns are sneaky like that), or sail to Russia on a trading expidition through the Arctic Sea.

hero4hire

Explorer
the 2e Complete Viking had interesting flavor stuff IIRC.

From what I remember about Goblins/Elves/Dwarves they were all kind of the same. Fey
Runic Magic was prevelant.
Nordic Slang is a must..Calling arrows "Wound-bees" and such.

Turanil

First Post
hero4hire said:
the 2e Complete Viking had interesting flavor stuff IIRC.

Yes, if you can get this book, do it.

Likewise, if you could get the following novel, it's uber excellent (but on ebay only, more difficult to find that 2e Viking campaign sourcebook):
Hrolf Kraki's Saga by Poul Anderson. Make you a favor of reading this novel!

Otherwise my two cents suggestions: PCs decide to go south as a normal and obvious decision to go viking (which is not a people's name, but the term for going raiding among ancient Norsemen, as any scholar should know...). However, fate (a pervading concept of Norse mythology) has decided otherwise. So whatever they want or try to do, they finally end up where fate has decided they should go.

J_A_Garlock

First Post
Here is an idea, not really much of an idea but its all I could think of off the top of my head. The PCs must find the legendary tree Ygdrasil ( sp?) to help save the world from apocalypse. It's location is rumored to be far up north.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Watch 13th Warrior... now go investigate why those towns near the sea don't speak to us any more! :)

Is there a Roman style empire to the south? The PCs could be required to interact with them in some way. Perhaps make sure a nobleman from their region has a nice trip to the PCs homeland... If he dies, it could mean war!

Go see the dwarves in the heart of the world (possibly midgets instead of fantasy dwarves?) and get the kings new sword. Don't use it under any circumstances.

Help someone important escape their prearranged marrige to a hideous partner.

Stage a daring raid on some misty island over the sea. Abduct the charming daughter of the king/chief druid. Can ransom her back for something... Did I forget to mention she's a berserker!

Steal the fastest boat a rival clan owns...

Jolly Giant

First Post
Thanks for your rplies, everyone! :D

JQMayhem, I'm already a fan of the Order of the Stick, but I havn't really looked much at the rest of the site and had no idea it contained material for a viking setting. I need to have a look at that.

PCrow; I'll check out the lost vikings, see what it's about.

h4h; elves (including the evil dark-elves) and dwarves in norse myths were humanoids, not fey, but they lived on Asgard; the plane of the gods. They'll make their appearance later on. As for using nordic slang we already speak Norwegian; what with living in Norway and all. ;)

Turanil; fate was even personified as three sisters (the "nornr" - Urd, Vile and Ve) living underneath Yggdrasil. They'd spin a thread for each persons life; tieing a knot whenever something bad/dramatic happened to that person and cutting the thread when it was time for the person to die. I can certainly see them messing up the PCs plans, but to make them go where and do what I'm still not to sure about.

JAGarlock; The location of Yggdrasil was well known among vikings. It was on the plane of Asgard, just outside the gates of Valhalla. So I'll be saving that one for later.

J_A_Garlock

First Post
Jolly Giant said:

JAGarlock; The location of Yggdrasil was well known among vikings. It was on the plane of Asgard, just outside the gates of Valhalla. So I'll be saving that one for later.

Perhaps a portal to Asgard in the north? :heh: . Your right though, that would be a better adventure for the end or near the end.

Last edited:

Remove ads