Ideas on a feat: Mounted cleave

Crothian

First Post
Alaric_Prympax said:

There is the 'Special' ability Supreme Cleave in S&F under the 'Knight Protector of the Great Kingdom' and 'Master Samurai'. It is NOT listed under the new feats in that book, nor have I seen it anywhere else but I could be wrong. If it is somewhere else please post and let me know. I will confess that I have not read all the PrC in all the splatbooks so it could be elsewhere. I think that Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Supreme Cleave is a great feat chain. Luckly no one in my group has asked about this yet so I've not had to make a decision to allow it or not.

In AEG's War there is a feat called Followthrough where you can take a five foot step but it must be in the space occupied by the creature you just killed. It can only be used once a round.

wolfpunk

First Post
Crothian,

Do you like "WAR"? I haven't seen it here yet to look through it, but from what I have heard of it, it seems to be a pretty useful book.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Crothian said:

In AEG's War there is a feat called Followthrough where you can take a five foot step but it must be in the space occupied by the creature you just killed. It can only be used once a round.

I haven't seen AEG's War yet. It has been quite some time since I've been to my LGS. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
my quibble

You should add "when making a Ride-By Attack (which requires a charge)" to this, that handles your other issues. If they are not charging then the standard cleave rules apply.

Crothian

First Post
wolfpunk said:
Crothian,

Do you like "WAR"? I haven't seen it here yet to look through it, but from what I have heard of it, it seems to be a pretty useful book.

I like the book very much. However, it's like AEG's other sourcebooks. It has much source material, and people don't seem to like that. I don't understand that thinking at all. My opinion of AEG so far is they write great things, they have great ideas, they can cover a topic from all directions and I praise them for it. However, it's the crunchy bits that I think they need help on. The Prestige classes and the feats are great ideas, but the application is not always the best. They are getting a lot better. There are more crunchy bits I'll use from War then from Dungeons. Another thing AEG does great, better then anyone else (And War is no exception) is alternate uses for skills. In War they have basically 11 new ways to use existing skills. Brilliant. If your a fan of the other sourcebooks by AEG (Dungeon, Dragon, Evil, Undead*) then I think you'll like this one, too.

*: Listed Undead for completeness sake of AEG's sourcebooks. I don't have that one so really can't say that it is like the others.

EDIT: In all sense of fairness here is where it is being discussed on the main forum: http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6729

Many people thought it would be more mass combat then it was.

Last edited:

wolfpunk

First Post
I like that idea water rabbit, consider it ammended. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with ideas or criticisms.

wolfpunk

First Post
Cleaned up the movement rules at the bottom of the description. No need to address if you havent moved, because we now require a charge action. Simplified the requirement that your 10 foot move be in the direction of the charge.

Crothian

First Post
I'm liking what I'm reading. THis is really good. Is the second attack (the cleave attack with this feat) considered a charge also?

wolfpunk

First Post
I would say no, I think it should just be an attack. If it is also a charge I think that you have a pretty good chance of dropping two full opponents with this, and that isnt really the primary focus, it is to be a bonus not an uber ability. If that makes sense.

However if you guys feel it should also be a charge I am willing to talk it through with you guys. I like that we have gone from where we started with, why do we need this, to saying, hey this could be pretty good.

Crothian

First Post
That's a tough one. The first charge is become of momentum. How much of that are you losing after the first strike? With Ride by attack you keep going by, so it's obvious that the attack doesn't stop you. Perhaps a charge at a reduced multiple. So, if the first attack was at x3, the second would be a x2. And if you where just at a x2, then it would be x1 like a normal attack.

Remove ads