• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideas to improve the Binder

Stalker0

Legend
I've been told by several people that the binder is a bit on the weak side overall. I was thinking of some ways to improve the binder just a bit. See what you think.

Options:

1) Bump up the skill points from 2 + int to 4+ int. A simple change. The binder is in the same teir as the rogue, ranger and bard as far as classes go, but has far fewer skill points (especially considering its not an int based class). So 4+ int would help round out the class a bit.

2) Allow some more flexibility in pact use. Give the binder a chance to switch things up a little bit other than at the beginning of the day: Such as,

a) Short Term Pact: 1/day, A 7th level Binder is able to strike a short term deal with a vestige. A short term pact is always a bad one for the Binder. In addition, he cannot ignore the influence of the vestige. However, anytime during the day he can expel the vestige as a full round action.

b) Expel Vestige. A 7th level Binder can expel a vestige 1/day as if using the Expel Vestige feat. If he has the feat or gains it later, he gains an additional use of expel vestige. The binding penalties for the feat do not stack with multiple uses.

c) Soul Seal: A 7th level Binder's soul has been exposed to the power of vestiges so often his soul has become a part of the binding ritual. If the Binder is summoning a vestige at least 2 levels lower than the maximum vestige he can summon, he can do so without scribing a seal before hand. You must still abide by any other special requirements for the ritual.

d) Lingering Power: A 7th level Binder has been exposed to supernatural forces for so long that their residual energy has become a part of him. 1/day, a binder can bring forth any one supernatural power from a vestige he would normally have access to, even if the vestige is not currently bound to him. If the ability requires an action, the binder must spend the action normally. If the ability is active all the time, the binder can call it as a free action. No matter the ability called, it does not last longer than 1 round.

3) Beef up some of the vestige powers to make them a little more competitive:

a) Amon's Ram Attack: You deal an extra 1d8 points of damage on a charge attack, plus an additional 1d8 damage for every 4 binder levels above 4th.

b) Queen Aym's Halo of Fire: The fire damage increased to 2d6 at 10th level and 3d6 at 20th (though that's still not a lot of damage at high levels).

c) Dahlver-Nar's mad soul: You gain immunity from wisdow, charisma, and intellgence damage and drain.

d) Fixing overlapping feats. One thing I always hate is how an ability will give you a feat or a proficiency, and you get no benefit if you already have it. So with that I have:

Extra Augmentation
Prereq: See special
Benefit: You receive an additional pact augmentation. However, this does not stack with the bonuses from pact augmentation or other uses of this feat, you must choose a new augmentation each time.
Special: You can only pick this feat up as a bonus from vestiges. You can gain this feat more than once. Each time, you must choose a different augmentation.

*Any vestige: If the vestige grants you a feat or proficiency you already have, you instead receive the Extra Augmentation feat while you are bound to the vestige. You can gain the feat only once for every vestige you have bound.

Archimedes314

First Post
Well, I think that giving a base class 2 skill points is always a bad idea. Skills are great for rounding out your character and helping to support your role-playing background and with 2+int per level you just don't have enough, so I think giving the binder 4+int per level is fine. But I think the solution is not to power up the binder class, but rather the individual vestiges. There are some that are quite useful, like Chupoclops, or work well in combinations, like Andromalius and Malphas, but in general their abilities are just a little too weak.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
4 skill points/level sounds good to me. They don't benefit mechanically all that much from skills, but it's always nice to have more of them.

Do you play with Action Points? If so, you might allow a Binder to spend an Action Point and a full-round action to bind an additional vestige for a single encounter.

Cheers, -- N

Stalker0

Legend
We do play with a specialized action point system, so I can use that refresh x/day abilities. So I could use it to expel a vestige twice.

I will recommend to my dm that we go with 4 + int skillpoints. I will see if he's willing to work on the vestiges as well.

How about the idea I had that gives you the extra pact augmentation feat if the vestige gives you a feat you already have. I really hate anything that gives you something you gain the no benefit from.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Yeah it'll definately help to boost individual vestige power, but it would also help to simply have more vestige options. The way I see it, the binder is like the cleric in a way--extremely versatile, but unlike the cleric the binder doesn't have the benefit of a large chunk of the PHB plus every second splat book that comes out. So if your DM is willing to come up with new vestiges with you, that in itself will do wonders.

Remove ads