If 2handed weapon is wielded 1 handed, does it still count as 2 handed?

ST

First Post
I'd prefer to just go with "If you're using one hand, then it's one-handed" because the whole Monkey Grip and Large sized weapons thing from 3.x really left me cold.

I dunno, I'm fine with giant-sized PCs having some mechanical benefit from being huge, but I'm lazy and figure just giving them a bunch of STR covers it enough. I imagine I'm in the minority opinion there.

I'll rule (if this is a houserule, that's cool too) that the 2-h bonus to power attack, etc. comes from using two hands for increased leverage, so you don't get the bonus unless both hands are holding the weapon.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Oversized Weapon isn't the same thing

It lets you use a weapon one size larger. So a minotaur or bugbear wouldn't be using greatswords one handed, they would be using Large longswords.

and "Treat as one handed" is a little ambiguous. Versatile enables you to "use two handed" or "wield two handed" but its still a one handed weapon, and would not trigger the "two handed" keyword for various powers.

jdpacheco

First Post
It lets you use a weapon one size larger. So a minotaur or bugbear wouldn't be using greatswords one handed, they would be using Large longswords.

and "Treat as one handed" is a little ambiguous. Versatile enables you to "use two handed" or "wield two handed" but its still a one handed weapon, and would not trigger the "two handed" keyword for various powers.

Clarification: They *could* use a *medium* greatsword in one hand, there's just no benefit to doing so. They'd be better off going with a *large* longsword. Of course, you could argue that a medium greatsword *is* a large longsword (they do the same damage, have the same proficiency bonus, we're not give prices or weight differences for bumping equipment up a category (at least, I don't see it in a quick scan)), so I wouldn't see any harm in saying "A medium greatsword is effectively a large longsword." (other than semantics, and those people who strive for "but the construction is different" type things).

My one curiosity thing is where you get the "one handed weapons are always one-hand even if they're versatile and wielded two-handed" thing? I don't see where it says that... I think that I'd agree with ST on the "if you're using two hands, then it's a two-handed weapon" thing. I don't see anything in RAW that seems to say otherwise, but I'll look over them a little more closely when I'm not at work.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Customer support

I think that was the default answer to questions such as "What happens when a halfling with a longsword uses Power attack, or varies other things"

Its hard to be sure, but I think Customer support has basically said: A one handed weapon is a one handed weapon- always. Even if used two handed.

SO, I reversed it: a two handed weapon is a two handed weapon- always. Even used one handed. However "treat as one handed" could apply for just ranger two weapon fighting, or it could apply for powers/feats as well, its not clear.

jdpacheco

First Post
When different sized weapons have the same stats that does not make them the same. People need to remember that.

Which I said, but because they become so mechanically close, with the only difference between that a large creature wielding a medium greatsword and that same large creature wielding a large longsword is the loss of "Versatile", I'd probably keep them the same in this *one* instance (and make judgment call for anything else that comes up)

jdpacheco

First Post
I think that was the default answer to questions such as "What happens when a halfling with a longsword uses Power attack, or varies other things"

Its hard to be sure, but I think Customer support has basically said: A one handed weapon is a one handed weapon- always. Even if used two handed.

SO, I reversed it: a two handed weapon is a two handed weapon- always. Even used one handed. However "treat as one handed" could apply for just ranger two weapon fighting, or it could apply for powers/feats as well, its not clear.

Do you have a link to that response? I'd like to see it in its original form. I looked through the current PHB FAQ (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396) and looked at the current errata (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdatePH20080610.pdf) and found no evidence of that particular answer. I also don't see a Sage Advice which addresses the problem. I'm not saying "you're wrong", I just want to see the answer for myself...

Among other things, I don't see why a Versatile weapon used in two hands isn't "two-handed" for things like power attack, etc., whether it be by a halfling or otherwise. I would like also rule that a halfling, since they *must* use a longsword with two-hands treat that weapon as a two-handed weapon (including the fact that they don't get the +1 to damage when they do so).

Terwox

First Post

If you read page 220, you will see how this is in error.

The language of the rules is different for Small creatures as opposed to large, huge, and gargantuan.

Not saying it isn't a perfectly serviceable house rule, however! :)

Anyway, if I am incorrect, I'm sure Custserv will clear this one up. In time. Heh.

Last edited:

hamishspence

Adventurer
Page 229? Thats magic items

Page 220 covers out of size weapons, stating Large creatures can use Medium two handed weapons one handed. It also says Huge creatures can use Large Creature two handed weapons one handed (fire titan)

so its pretty clear. Will check the two handed weapon answers to see where it was said: maybe it was a member, not staff.

DracoSuave

First Post
My answer is 'Um... whatever. Is this your primary weapon? Yeah? Have your +1. Don't make my head hurt. You're not an idiot, you'll take the +1 to your primary weapon and we both know it, so take that one.'

They can go make themselves magic weapons with money at that point, for all I care. It'll probably not be a problem.

Remove ads