If a kaiju really emerged

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If the monster is made of "special" materials and molecular structures, to enable its size, I am not sure that that would include "being bullet proof" just to get the effect of stomping around Tokyo.

Besides the math saying it must be so, there is what we see on screen. Even setting aside the weapons of the timy model armies, these things destroy buildings made of concrete and reinforced steel by walking through them, intentionally striking them, or falling through them due to conflicts with other kaiju. They swat and bite vehicles and industrial complexes full of fuel, shrugging off both the heat and shrapnel of the resultant explosions. They stop, grab and fling cargo & passenger trains massing hundreds of tons, move at great speed, with casual strength.

...all while taking no more damage to their dermis than Jackie Chan going into a pile of cardboard boxes.

To do that requires skin impervious to pretty much everything in the conventional weapons arsenal.

Derren

Hero
To do that requires skin impervious to pretty much everything in the conventional weapons arsenal.

Except giant robot fists.
If we take their Hollywood movie performance for granted then we of course can't fight them unless we also suddenly be able to use Hollywood physics.
And as this is not possible in the real world which is kinda the point of this discussion we simply die, end of story.

Janx

Hero
..snip..
How's that for an no-prize answer?

So bullets it is.... :)

Or at least, I didn't see anything that made Mechas be the smarter thing to do to fight Kaiju. Bullets and bombs of improving technology seem to be the straightforward solution. If you can punch a kaiju to death with a mecha, you can shoot it to death with bullets made of the same thing (or better). I don't see nukes as even being necessary if punching works.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Except giant robot fists.
If we take their Hollywood movie performance for granted then we of course can't fight them unless we also suddenly be able to use Hollywood physics.

Mechs capable of going toe-to-toe with kaiju are almost always built of unobtanium alloys*, powered by "protoculture," and armed with impossible weapons...

Hence my first suggestion of feeding kaiju temporary singularities.

* which would include their fists

Last edited:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Janx said:
I'd hate to argue on the side of Umbran, because he's always right...
I love Umbran and you, both, in these discussions.

Janx said:
But, I think Umbran is saying the math says the materials needed don't exist (yet).
Materials for a lot of amazing things we take for granted now didn't exist before we created/discovered them. 100 years ago, bullet-proof armor was far too bulky to be truly useful to a person, but now we have Kevlar, and every cop on the beat and soldier on the front line wears it. At some point, someone looked at the numbers for what would be required to construct a bullet-proof vest, and they eventually worked out the material.

(If it's not completely urban legend, it's been said that Mother Nature, in the form of spiders, showed us how strong thread can be. Thread can stop a bullet. That was impossible.)

That we don't currently have a material strong/flexible enough for a kaiju skeleton and tissue doesn't mean such beasts are impossible. *We* couldn't construct one at this time. But we can still look at the equations and numbers and see exactly what such a beast would require for hard and soft tissue, and we can, for the sake of a discussion, assume that nature figured it out so we have kaiju.

Referring back to a reference I made earlier -- the strange creatures of the deep ocean. We can't/couldn't create material that could survive the Mariana Trench, but apparently Mother Nature managed it just fine, still staying within physical laws.

There wasn't this much argument against a premise when we discussed the Zombie Apocalypse, Martian neighbors, and lightspeed space travel.

Bullgrit

Janx

Hero
I love Umbran and you, both, in these discussions.
And I enjoy these kind of discussions where I espouse something stupid and drive Umbran to give me a good explanation on the way things should be. He's always a good sport.

Referring back to a reference I made earlier -- the strange creatures of the deep ocean. We can't/couldn't create material that could survive the Mariana Trench, but apparently Mother Nature managed it just fine, still staying within physical laws.

There wasn't this much argument against a premise when we discussed the Zombie Apocalypse, Martian neighbors, and lightspeed space travel.

Bullgrit

Well., in this case, I am on the side of pro-monsters, anti-mecha, pro guns lobby.

I'll buy that Kaiju can exist through better physiology.

I won't but that we can practically develop large mecha to fight them that would be better than inventing better guns.

Any robot we build will need joints and servos to equal what mother nature is better at building. The stresses on that the robo-joints would result in the equivalent fight between a human and an orangutan. Those buggers are basically smaller than humans and they can rip our arms out and beat us with them.

Why in the heck would we invest in perfecting giant robots with limited resources when we can more easily make better guns and missiles. Heck, if punching a kaiju is so effective, we can make mecha-sized fist bullets and shoot them at the Kaiju from a tank or mining dump truck (those things are huge).

The cool factor of developing a Mecha isn't going to pass Congress's budget when a simpler solution is in order.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Besides the math saying it must be so, there is what we see on screen. Even setting aside the weapons of the timy model armies, these things destroy buildings made of concrete and reinforced steel by walking through them, intentionally striking them, or falling through them due to conflicts with other kaiju. They swat and bite vehicles and industrial complexes full of fuel, shrugging off both the heat and shrapnel of the resultant explosions. They stop, grab and fling cargo & passenger trains massing hundreds of tons, move at great speed, with casual strength.

...all while taking no more damage to their dermis than Jackie Chan going into a pile of cardboard boxes.

So it's possible that only a nuclear strike has a possibility of stopping a kaiju. It might take several nukes. What happens when nuclear explosions overlap or are centered at the same spot? Has that been tested?

After the kill, what if we discovered another (or more) kaiju in the ocean depths? What would happen to a nuclear bomb dropped into the Mariana Trench? Could it survive to be detonated? What would happen if it detonated?

What would happen in world politics? I imagine some parts of the world wouldn't care, and would continue their lives as normal. Like some far inland nations. Unless there were at least dozens of kaiju, scattered about the ocean floor, would this become an actual *global* apocalypse?

Bullgrit

Remove ads