If max level were 8th, which Fighter would you choose?

LapBandit

First Post
I am having a hard time deciding between the Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight for a game that caps max level at 8th.

The Battlemaster will have 5 dice per short rest and 5 maneuvers.
The EK will have 4 1st and 2 2nd level spell slots as well as War Magic.

Both get 3 ASIs in that range and I have already chosen to be Strength-based.

I can't see a clear winner mechanically, fluff-wise, or in RP. Any opinions?

I am having a hard time deciding between the Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight for a game that caps max level at 8th.

The Battlemaster will have 5 dice per short rest and 5 maneuvers.
The EK will have 4 1st and 2 2nd level spell slots as well as War Magic.

Both get 3 ASIs in that range and I have already chosen to be Strength-based.

I can't see a clear winner mechanically, fluff-wise, or in RP. Any opinions?
Depends what you want. Eldritch Knight will have the at-will DPR advantage via Booming Blade + War Magic. Also a defense advantage with the Shield spell. OTOH, Battle Master will have a lot of control capabilbility with maneuvers (and Precision Attack for those nova turns you really want to hit on).

LapBandit

First Post
The idea is for my fighter (STR:16, DEX:10, CON: 14, INT 10, WIS: 14: CHA 14) to not have a preference for what weapon he uses (Defensive Fighting Style). I love the idea of the Battlemaster maneuvers like Riposte, Pushing Attack, and Commander's Strike. However the War Magic cantrip + attack is an alluring damage increase doable every round and the defense of Shield and Absorb Elements is equally attractive.

I've actually played a Battlemaster / War Cleric before and loved it. Hrmm... still undecided.

zaratan

First Post
But you'll start at lvl 1 and go up to 8?
You only get war magic at 7, so biggest part of the campaing you'll never have war magic.

Battle master with polearm master and ripose will do 2 attacks since lvl 1 (human v) or 4 the rest. And more attacks using your reaction with ripose.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I lean heavily towards the Battlemaster since that is what my character is (Battlemaster 5 / Cleric 1) and I love it. One of the players in my game plays an Eldritch Knight 6, and honestly I haven't seen him do anything that makes me jealous.

Combat-wise, I think the Battlemaster has the edge if you have a lot of opportunities for Short Rests. You can then splurge on your maneuvers. Menacing Strike has been one of my favorite techniques because my DM likes to have the "big bad", and by positioning myself between my party of casters I can keep it from advancing on them and focus on me instead (with disadvantage). Riposte is also so much fun to pump out some more damage and punish the enemy for *trying* to attack you.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you're looking between Battlemaster and EK for a max 8th level game, I'd definitely go for Battlemaster. BM is a little front-loaded compared to the other fighter subclasses, giving you more starting at 3rd that you'll have for well over half of your adventuring career. EK gives some utility early (but less than BM), but doesn't really start coming into it's own until 7th so you'll have it firing on all cylinders for a lot less of your total adventuring career.

Mind you, if the question was about an 8th level one shot it would be closer, but if you are playing up to 8th then for me Battlemaster is a clear winner.

Remove ads