If you had a robot…

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
First thing with every new satnav system: Silence!

Looking (and poking) at a screen, when your eyes should be on the road and your hands on the wheel, is pretty much the poster child for having voice-operation rather than manual. You might have picked a worse example to advocate for manual and text, but you'd have had to work at it...

Yora

Legend
Looking (and poking) at a screen, when your eyes should be on the road and your hands on the wheel, is pretty much the poster child for having voice-operation rather than manual. You might have picked a worse example to advocate for manual and text, but you'd have had to work at it...
Obviously, I silence it before I drive off. I also enter the destination before I drive off.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I really hate touchscreens in cars. I tend to use the physical controls (if any) or simply do without if I’m in traffic for many of the functions they offer.

MGibster

Legend
It's just a piece of equipment. I wouldn't thank it or otherwise treat it any better than I would any other expensive piece of equipment.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Considering I tend to feel telemarketers aren't human, and not acting very polite as a result.... I think I'd be very mean to such machine....

Mirtek

Hero
If you had a robot —

— it’s a general purpose domestic humanoid robot capable of doing a wide variety of tasks for you
— it communicates verbally with you perfectly, but for the sake of this hypothetical it is not (and you know it is not) sentient and definitely has no feelings

Would you be polite to it as you would a person?
I say thank you to my Alexa for anything but ending timers and alarms with "Alexa stop". Any real question answered I respond with thank you by reflex

Remove ads