• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you had to cut two core races from your game....

If you had to cut two races from the game....

• Poll closed .

prosfilaes

Adventurer
dungeondweller said:
I'm in the "nix the half-races" crowd... Half-Elves and Half-Orcs should go... Partly because interbreeding of species doesn't really have its roots in realism. Even if an orc and human could produce offspring, those offspring would be sterile.

It's not much change to say that they are sterile. Realistic seems an odd charge to bring up; there are no such things as elves and orcs in the real world, and there's no reason to think that they are separate species.

Shades of Green

First Post
Half Elves and Half Orcs. Both could be easily removed by saying that Elves, Orcs and Humans are not interfertile (i.e. that each is a seperate species and not a subspecies, biologically speaking), and the removal of both will not change the "niches" the races fill by much, especially if "pure" Orcs are allowed as a playable race. Even without this, though, a Dwarf could easily fill the Half Orc's niche as a fighting-race.

Darrell

First Post
Gnomes and Half-elves for me, with half-orcs on the cusp.

I'd rather see full-on Orcs as a PC race, and do away with 'half-' races altogether. I'd like to get rid of both half-elves and half-orcs, but I could only choose two in the poll, and gnomes had to go.

Why Gnomes? Two main reasons...

First, Hickman & Weis. I've hated gnomes ever since reading the Dragonlance novels, and can never get the 'tinkerer' idea divorced from the race in the minds of players. In my games, therefore, gnomes do not exist.

Second, Travelocity. Those ads are bloody annoying.

Small size is not a problem for me. In fact, I'd happily do away with Dwarves and Elves, as well; and keep only Humans and Halflings as PC races. I started a short write-up, many moons ago, of a campaign setting where I renamed 3.5e halflings as 'elves,' and had them, along with humans and orcs, as the only PC races. Maybe I'll go back and work on that one a bit more...

Regards,
Darrell

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Emirikol said:
Pretend the games you're currently in suddenly had a shift...what two core races could you live without ever seeing/playing again?

[edit: After seeing these stats, it makes me wonder if halflings and gnomes should be combined into one race and half-elves and half-orcs just have a 'heritage feat' or just have the main stats of one parent or the other]

jh

I voted Gnomes and Half-Elves as well. Considered half-orcs, but I can see them as a product of rape, whereas elves should (in my view) be too aloof from humans to have them as mates.

Destil

Explorer
Halfling or Gnome, most likely gnome. We only need one small race, and as Munchkin pointed out Gnomes are a sort of confused mish-mash of all the various other races.

Half-orc and half-elf. I'm sick of halfbreeds. Half-elves, if you need them, could just be humans with a feat. Half orcs should be orcs.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Em,

Just as long as we can make elves into something other than D&D elves, I'm all for it.

Especially since I'm against short people that don't do much for my games. Except maybe kender.

They are good at causing group suicide. ;)

Remove ads