IG's Legend of The Ripper [IC]

Rayex

First Post
"This' going sour fast..." With a grunt she runs to Dacen's aid.

Charging one of the brutes she attacks with her rapier, trying to hit him where it hurts.

[sblock]
If possible, she will charge one of the brutes.
Charge: Rapier: +6 (1base + 3dex + 2charge), 1d6 damage, Threat 18-20/x2
[/sblock]

If she cannot charge:

Seeing the distance to the brutes is too far to cover fast enough to come to Dacen's aid, Rexy drops her rapier and reach for one of her javelins. Moving at high speed, she throws her javelin with all her strength.

[sblock]
She'll drop her rapier as a free action, and draw a javeling as a free action while moving 35 feet towards her foes.
Then she'll throw her javelin at one of them.
Javelin: +4 (1base + 3dex), 1d6 damage, Threat 20/x2, Range 30 ft.
[/sblock]

Autumn

First Post
Fen scowls as he notices the degenerating situation. "This is what ya get fer bringin' one of Cuthbert's men to East Ward..." he mutters sourly to himself. He drops his crossbow as he goes. It's only recently that he's set himself to learning to use the thing properly, preferring it to his old bow that carries with it so many unwanted memories of his youth. But when push comes to shove, at the moment he's still better with the bow, and now's not a time to be practicing. His scowl deepening, he unslings the bow from his back and nocks an arrow.

He takes aim and lets fly an opening shot at the man who spoke, hoping to make an example to his buddies.

[sblock=OOC] Free Action: Drop Crossbow
Move Action: Draw Shortbow
Standard Action: Attack. Shortbow +3 Ranged, Damage 1d6, crit 20/x3, range 60'.[/sblock]

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Dacen stands firm, "Nothing in life is free, gentlemen." He draws his heavy mace free from his belt and holds it at the ready. He raises his shield, taking a defensive posture considering the odds are still five to one, though he hopes his companions change that swiftly.

OOC:[sblock] Move Action: Draw Heavy Mace
Standard Action: Ready to attack the first thug or Kilna who comes within reach, fighting defensively (+2 AC, -4 to attack). Melee -2, Damage 1d8+2/x2, AC 19[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Fen drops his crossbow and draws his weathered shortbow in one smooth movement. His experienced hands nock an arrow and let it fly, but through the rain and the fog, it flies harmlessly to the right. (attack roll 3+3=miss)

Dacen quickly draws his mace and takes a defensive stance. He is too honorable to take the first swing at a few unarmed and drunken thugs, but he's smart enough to know when diplomacy is out.

Rexy seemingly flies into the foray out of nowhere, skewering one of the thugs on the end of her rapier. The man's eyes open wide and a disturbing gurgling sounds escapes his lips, along with small fount of blood. He grasps the blade of her rapier with both hands and tries to plead for his life, but the words make no sound as he falls to the ground motionless. (attack roll 13+6=hit, 5 damage)

Kilna and the remaining thugs, seeing that this is going to be far from a fair fight, decide that discretion is the better part of valor and flee, leaving their fallen partner behind so that you may pick the bones from his carcass.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Distracted by the sounds of battle, Xao looks over in time to see the thug fall at Rexy's feet.

"No!" he yells, rushing over.

He reaches the thug and bends down, checking for life. "What have you done? The man was a simpleton, he did not deserve this."

Xao tries his best to staunch the bleeding, but he knows his knowledge is lacking. "Can any of you save him from death?" Xao looks around pleadingly at his companions.

[sblock]
Xao is trying a Healing check at +1 (untrained) to stabilize the thug.

Also, industrygothica, would you mind linking the Rogue's Gallery thread in the first post? That would help me cross-reference Xao's character sheet when I need it.[/sblock]

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Dacen glowers as the thug and the prostitute run off. Continuing the battle into the streets would likely be ill-advised and it seems there is no way Kilna will cooperate willingly. Still, she is no less suspect in his mind. It grates upon him to let her go, as it seems they must.

Xao's action draw raised eyebrows from him. He reattaches his mace to his belt and walks over to where Rexy stands and places a hand on her shoulder. "Thank you. You may have saved my life. I will not forget that."

He then moves beside the fallen man. Bending down, he speaks quietly yet with firm conviction, "Perhaps you did not overhear, Xao, but this man and his companions were making ready to assault me at Kilna's behest. And they were doing so knowing well what they were doing was wrong. I believe their reward for the distinction of beating me to a pulp would have been sex from the woman. Those are actions of a criminal, and the results of those actions are just."

"However," he continues. "The man is clearly drunk. That does not excuse his actions, but it should excuse him from death. I am skilled in the healing arts, if you would assist me, we can staunch his wounds together, and spare his life."

OOC[sblock]Making Heal checks to stabilize at +6 until successful or the man is clearly dead.[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Xao does more getting in the way than helping (aid another check: 4+1=fail), but Dacen manages to stabilize the drunken thug anyway, against his better judgment (heal check: 19+6=pass). The man is still unconscious, but he'll live. He won't be soon forgetting the night he chose to go up against the word of St. Cuthbert, and the mark of Rexy's rapier will be with him for the rest of his days.

Autumn

First Post
Fen retrieves his crossbow and walks over unhurriedly, paying little mind to Xao's theatrics.

"No matter," he growls, looking after the fled quarry. "Can't say as I reckon you'd have got much outta Kilna anyway, unless maybe a crafty crack over the head when ya let yer guard down. Doubt she saw anything... and even if she did, ya can bet she couldn't tell it ya straight even if she wanted to. Don't call 'er Crazy Kilna fer nothin'..."

He clears his throat raspingly, and spits. This whole episode has done very little to improve his mood, and the lack of footsteps in the blood leaves an unpleasant lingering impression with him. He came out tonight prepared to deal with a depraved and monstrous person, for sure, but he wasn't expecting anything more than that. This hint of some supernatural element to the whole nasty business... well, it's caught him a little off-guard.

"Anyway, we done here?" he grunts. The prospect of hanging around the murder scene until someone turns up to start asking questions doesn't really appeal to him.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Xao looks gratefully at Dacen. "Thank you for saving him. I know that the streets are brutal, but there has been enough death for tonight. Perhaps he will learn from this."

"Nonetheless, I suppose we are done," Xao says, as he stands from the wet cobblestones. "Whatever happened here, we need more information if we are to do something about it. I think we all have our own reasons for seeing the Ripper brought to justice, but I believe that we all want to see that. It doesn't look like there is a trail or anything else useful here. If we can't get any more information here, perhaps we should check with the Portheor guards. If one of us can get the word from the streets, that would help as well."

industrygothica

Adventurer
From the alley, the Cam Inn is on the left, and Blackburn's Bakery on the right across the street. Another alley, the one that Fen was originally walking to before he was interrupted by Kilna, runs along the side of Blackburn's. Presumably, the former residence of Mari Kell is in that direction at the end of the alley, rotting for more than 100 years.

Remove ads