I'm going to DM my 70-year-old dad's first D&D game

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Thanks, guys. Given all the stuff I forgot to include in this past session, and the likely gap before the next, I'm going to write up an "the adventure so far" summary and retroactively put in some more info about the town, etc. I'll post a copy of that here when it's done.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We haven't had a chance to play again, but everyone clearly wants to: my wife is talking about which set of Chessex dice she wants to get for herself and my brother, who hadn't played for 30 years, has been feverishly linking articles related to 5E and the anniversary of D&D, on Facebook. I'm very pleased. :D

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
THE RETURN OF THE 70-YEAR-OLD D&D NEWBIE!

So, my parents (but not my brother) will be coming down for the weekend before Christmas, so I'm going to put together a quick two-person adventure for my dad and wife, probably both playing dwarves in Ptolus. (I gave him a copy of the Ptolus Players Guide when we visiting over the summer.) I'll save continuing the previous adventure for the next time my brother is also in the mix.

I'm looking for a very short adventure that touches on some iconic elements. I'm probably going to go with a scenario made (in)famous by countless CRPGs: "Hey, there's something awful happening in the tavern basement," which since this is Ptolus, probably means it connects to the Dungeon, "go pay off your bar tab by taking care of it."

At the moment, that's all I've got for ideas, beyond a title: "The Dragon in the Basement." Suggestions welcome, and I'll post my development ideas on this thread and an after-action report after the game later this month.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Have it connect to a fungal forest. The spores of the forest are spreading through the bar and infecting people (a la yellow musk zombies) but the BBEG is actually a fungus-infested dragon. (There is a picture of such in 4E's Dracomonicon.) Anyway, you get to use a use a few fungus-based creatures - evil myconids? - before the fight with the dragon. It lets you play off the classic tropes while also giving you a hook to make your descriptions a little bit different.

Remove ads