I'm putting together a "Hellknight" Character and need some feedback

WarpedAcorn

First Post
The basic concept for this character is based on characters like Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Spawn, Punisher, etc...

This will be a character who is using dark magic to fight evil, someone who saw that the power of Light wasn't strong enough and is willing to fight fire with fire. The basic backstory is that he was a squire for a band of Knights who were vanquished by some evil. In the aftermath he made a deal with a Fiend for power to avenge the Knights and hunt down the evil. In this deal the Fiend gains power from the souls of the evil that the character kills, while the character grows stronger. So the relationship is corrupting, something a Fiend would love. The character will be someone who acts as a vigilante and dispenses his own brand of justice, usually in a harsh form of "eye for an eye". This gives the character purpose, and the DM plenty of plot hooks that can be used at varying levels if he chooses.

1) Building this character, my first roadblock is what Background to go with? I am leaning towards Folk Hero or Acolyte. I realize that Backgrounds are mainly fluff and can be adjusted as needed, but personally I find them very important in getting a good feel for a character.

2) The build itself will be a Paladin (Vengeance)/Warlock (Fiend). I'm not sure how far I want to go in either class, and a lot of that will depend on who is playing what at the table, and how the character naturally evolves. My question is focused on the Warlock Pacts. If I lean more to the Warlock side, Pact of the Blade seems the obvious choice. However, Pact of the Chain would allow me to give him an Imp familiar which could be really cool from an RP standing. Unfortunately that cuts out multi-attack from the equation unless Paladin gets a heavier investment.

The rest of my build conundrums will, I suspect, fall into place.

mellored

Legend
2) The build itself will be a Paladin (Vengeance)/Warlock (Fiend). I'm not sure how far I want to go in either class, and a lot of that will depend on who is playing what at the table, and how the character naturally evolves. My question is focused on the Warlock Pacts. If I lean more to the Warlock side, Pact of the Blade seems the obvious choice. However, Pact of the Chain would allow me to give him an Imp familiar which could be really cool from an RP standing. Unfortunately that cuts out multi-attack from the equation unless Paladin gets a heavier investment.
Go chain and grab green flame blade.

Which scales by character level (better for multi-classing), and fits your hellknight concept.

xynthoros

First Post
Paladin 6 is always worth the investment, and I am going to suggest something that you may have overlooked: If you can go paladin 6 and get extra attack from paladin, you can go pact of the tome and get Shillelagh. This fixes your attack stat to charisma, your save DCs for all spells to charisma, and adds your charisma modifier to all you saves. You only need a strength of 15 and then it is charisma the rest of the way.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Paladin 6 is always worth the investment, and I am going to suggest something that you may have overlooked: If you can go paladin 6 and get extra attack from paladin, you can go pact of the tome and get Shillelagh. This fixes your attack stat to charisma, your save DCs for all spells to charisma, and adds your charisma modifier to all you saves. You only need a strength of 15 and then it is charisma the rest of the way.

That is a good suggestion and one I have considered. A lot will depend on the party composition. If people bring more magic focus then I will lean to a Sword & Shield tank build, but if someone else wants to take that role then I can be melee damage support, or if no one is focusing on the magic side then I can double down on Warlock and maybe also pick up Ritual Caster-Wizard for some utility.

None of the builds will change the concept of the character though, which is my main focus now. And the first few levels are pretty well set: 1) Pal, 2) War, 3) War, 4) Pal. Its taken almost 2 years for us to get to level 7 in one game, so there is no sense in planning an "endgame" build.

neogod22

Explorer
The problem with shillelagh is that you have to use a wooden staff as your weapon. If you want to use anything else, then it's a useless cantrip.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
That is a good suggestion and one I have considered. A lot will depend on the party composition. If people bring more magic focus then I will lean to a Sword & Shield tank build, but if someone else wants to take that role then I can be melee damage support, or if no one is focusing on the magic side then I can double down on Warlock and maybe also pick up Ritual Caster-Wizard for some utility.

None of the builds will change the concept of the character though, which is my main focus now. And the first few levels are pretty well set: 1) Pal, 2) War, 3) War, 4) Pal. Its taken almost 2 years for us to get to level 7 in one game, so there is no sense in planning an "endgame" build.
Why is 8t taking so long? If you're not playing in Adventures League, then you should look at some of the stuff in UA.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Why is 8t taking so long? If you're not playing in Adventures League, then you should look at some of the stuff in UA.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question, but if it is in regards to why its taking so long to level then that is because of how we play. We meet weekly and play for about 2-3 Hours. We alternate campaigns with me running one and another guy running the one I play in, and some of his sessions just involve plot or talking with no XP given out (which to be fair, so do some of mine).

As for the UA suggestion, I have and I haven't found a lot that interesting to me. Hexblade sounds mechanically close to what I'm after, but thematically I don't like the idea of gaining power through a powerful sentient item. The other issue I have with UA material in general is that its there for playtesting, and the group of friends I play with don't do the same sort of digging that I do. The DM also tries to stick with the core books, so I don't really want to make things harder on him by requesting a bunch of UA stuff. If something from the UA REALLY stood out, I would make a case, but I haven't seen anything super great yet.

Remove ads