I'm Tired of Vanilla

Ranes

Adventurer
I don't like the term 'flavour' when it's applied to anything other than how something actually tastes. Even more objectionable to me is the term 'flavourful'. As for vanilla, I like it, although it always conjures images of ice cream and I'm more of a lime sorbet fan.

I agree with the OP, even though I'm having a bad day.

RFisher

Explorer
Tequila Sunrise said:
Vanilla is a slang term used to describe something that, while not inherently of lesser value, is undesirable due to over-familiarity or lack of overwhelming flavor.

I wish to make it clear that any use of the adjective "vanilla" by me with a non-food noun does not mean "undesirable". After all, the vanilla fighter is my all-time favorite D&D class!

When modifying a food noun, my use of "vanilla" usually means "my favorite ~".

Goblyn

Explorer
I like Vanilla.

The ice cream as well as its adjectival use for ... anything. I'm unfamiliar with any negative connotations, though; the closest I can think of is someone saying that they are tired of the vanilla (fill in the blank), but that doesn't sem negative.

If there are any, though, I agree with the OP that there shouldn't be. Because I love vanilla ice cream.;)

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'm tired of "gish." Unless you're playing a githyanki character, this is a faux cool term misapplied to non-githyanki characters and doesn't clarify things for the most part, since people have to know what the heck's a "gish." Instead, one's better off using the much more, er, vanilla term "fighter/magic-user," since at least people know what the heck you're talking about without a primer on geek cool.

I've been saying this since I first saw it. And the funny part is, it isn't even that cool. It sounds ridiculous.

I also don't care much for the term "build" when used as a noun. "I'm looking for an optimized halfling gish build." Ugh.

Cheers,
Cam

solkan_uk

First Post
Our local ice-cream place does both plain and vanilla ice-cream. And I actually prefer Plain.

In D&D I tend to prefer playing a core character. I like playing the common man - the farm-boy who serves in the militia and becomes a fighter. Or the street-urchin who grows into a rogue through his life on the streets.

solkan_uk

First Post
It's just nice to remind people that vanilla ain't plain. Though plain is nice (essentially frozen cream).

So Vanilla ain't plain, and plain doesn't mean boring (neither does vanilla)

I completely agree with your idea (your being the original poster because I don't want to quote the whole chunk) that flavor is what the PCs make of it. Fighter has flavor if you give it some. A wizard can be a witch, a shaman, a blood mage, a whatever, if you describe it that way and play it that way. Even if the player has trouble doing this, there are PrCs, feats, and other things to help get him/her in the mindset.

I specifically wanted to commend you on your last section. I think it would make a great signature :)

Remove ads