Immortals Handbook - Ascension Discussion

Hey all! :)

Thanks to Xath for closing down those threads, been meaning to myself (but wasn't sure how). This is the new thread on Ascension, if you have any questions or comments on it this is the place.

The current plan is for me to release the final beta version of Ascension at the end of February 08. Then after a last round of checking release the pdf of Ascension at RPGNow mid-March 08.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Some errata here U_K:

Does the Negative Energy [Effect] divine ability allow for a saving throw to be made 24 hours later to remove the negative level? Or is the negative level permanent when it takes effect?

Table 4-10: Effect Parameters has a few problems. On the table the "Wrath (gaze)" power says it requires a Will save, but the effect's listing on the same page says it requires a Reflex save. Also, the "storm (aura)" power on the table says it doesn't allow a saving throw, but the power's description on the same page says it allows a Reflex save. It's also a little confusing that the Beam, Hand, and Strike abilities are listed as having no saving throw on the table, but the "Ability" column still lists "Cha" for all of them.

EDIT: For the listing of divine aura abilities (pg. 23) the "Daze" power seems a bit too powerful, since it seems to make the people so affected just stand there in perpetuity. Does it only last for 1 round, and/or do those affected need to make checks every round?

Under the "Greater Aura" divine ability, the "sleep" ability uses the text from the aforementioned "daze" listing.

I'm not sure, but the "pain" listing for Greater Aura should probably also impose a penalty to saving throws, maybe?

Finally, several aura abilities (spread over the normal divine aura, Greater Aura, Superior Aura, and Perfect Aura) says they affect "checks," while others just affect "skill checks" or "skill and ability checks." These should probably all just be consolidated down to "checks."

Last edited:

shadethief

First Post
Just to see if I have the right idea here. If I wanted to exchange both portfolios for divine abilities, a demi deity would gain an additional 6 divine abilities, correct?

+6 Divine abilities would be an appropriate trade maybe for both your portfolios at demi-deity status... Ascension has guidelines in the beginning of the portfolio chapter about how much of a LA a portfolio has.

Extra Portfolio is a cosmic ability, and while it may grant another portfolio, that does not equate to a disciple dropping a portfolio for a cosmic ability. Some cosmic abilities allow you to roughly double your power in an area. Extra Portfolio is one of those; A portfolio has different worth at each level of divinity, and while an extremely powerful being possessing Extra Portfolios is probably getting more than a +6 level adjustment of abilities, most of them will be redundant with what they already possess. (Like multiple [Effect] abilities that you can't make use of all at once)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
If your deity has a particular portfolio...does that deity also gain Bonus Domain as a bonus feat if the number of portfolios they have exceeds 2.

Example...

Pyre...a demi-deity of death, evil, and fire has 3 portfolios...he is a cleric. Does he have Bonus Domain for his Extra Portfolio?

Also...with the fire portfolio...do you automatically gain the fire subtype?

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
But that's not necessarily the same thing. You could have that and the fire subtype...which would make the penalties stack.

Hey all! :)

Thanks for the continued feedback Alzrius dude! :)

dante58701 said:
But that's not necessarily the same thing. You could have that and the fire subtype...which would make the penalties stack.

What (multiple) penalties are these? Are you talking about stacking of multiple Cold Vulnerability applications?

If so, I don't think that makes sense. Just follow the penalties for the listed single or double portfolios.

Remove ads