• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Ascension Discussion

Howdy Slaadmaster...or should that be Broodmaster. ;)

Slaadmaster said:
I've been in the same situation as Lord Arameth - been waiting for ages to get my hands on this (finally got the Bestiary a couple of weeks ago as well :) )! First impressions are very positive: the book looks very visually pleasing and is well-formatted (obviously will be more so with all the art). I'll post some more in depth comments later but on a quick (first) read through I have a couple of questions and mistakes (sorry) to point out (in no particular order). I'm sure some of these have already been answered on some earlier thread.

No harm done, fire away...and thanks to my colleagues for helping out in my absence.

1) Firstly, what was the reason for the changing of some of the domains from the SRD versions (such as magic or death)?

Just to give an alternative, feel free to use either/or at your discretion.

2) In the Stoicism portfolio the Elder and Old One abilties both read ..... Wisdom when they both apply to Constitution; probably just a copy/paste error.

DOH! Consider that fixed on the next update, thanks. :eek:

3) I found that some existing deities would be hard to create using these rules due to the lack of some portfolios or how some portfolios are opposing (what portfolios would be most likely for Helm from FR - stoicism does not seem to really fit). Likewise some of the inherent weaknesses did not make sense to me such as a penalty to Wisdom for the Moon Portfolio. However, with the customisation of these been so easy (thanks to the explanation of the mechanics) this should not be hard to rectify or change.

A handful of the powers and weaknesses were really scraping the barrel. I think I got burnt out a bit having to come up with over 1000 abilities in the book.

The opposed portfolios are really there for flavour rather than anything else, to give DMs ideas, not to straightjacket them. Obviously feel free to ignore at your leisure.

As for a lack of portfolios, most of that can be solved by simply taking the portfolios as aspects of another.

4) The metalworking domain does not have a granted ability - error/feature?

Possibly an error, I'll check.

5) How many domains does a deity start with and/or is able to grant to worshippers - 2 or 4? And if it is 4, can they use all of the spells as spell-like abilities or just those to which he has corresponding portfolios?

A deity starts with 2 domains (their portfolios) PLUS their alignment domains (if the latter is applicable). So alignment extremes get more domains, but can draw upon less worshippers because you can only have them one step removed.

5) Would you advise the use of the artifact rules for all epic characters or just immortals?

For all.

6) Would I be correct in thinking that all First Ones have a double portfolio?

All the first ones in the kosmos I set up, yes. But other beings may differ.

7) I would have found it very helpful to have some example of deities created with these rules. I understand Gods and Monsters will help here.

The Gods portion is the next release I have planned as soon as I complete the Ascension art.

8) If I had the Pariah of Magic ability, would my own magic still work?

You could argue such a psionic deity wouldn't have magic in the traditional sense, but the answer is yes, your magic still works.

9) When an outsider is assumed to have a divine template by parallel due to its HD, I do not have to add the template myself - it is assumed to be already built in, correct?

Only if some other d20 company has created the outsider.

For instance the Balor is fine as is, even though it doesn't exactly have the hero-deity template.

If instead you are creating a new outsider for your campaign then use the guidelines and templates where applicable.

10) I'll add more if/when I spot or can think of it :) .

Happy to help. ;)

Finally, I really enjoyed this book and though I may find it hard to think of uses for some of it, consider it a very good buy! I especially liked some of the descriptions of the Omnific abilities (e.g. tenth sense - Give the player a copy of the adventure you are running, :) ). I also found some of the symbolisms for the Supreme Being and Akashic Records funny (the great wall as the DM screen) and the Beyond the Beyond paragraph.

Glad you liked it...makes it all worthwhile. :)

Sorry for the long post!

No worries.

Hi all! :)

Okay, I assume everyone who purchased via RPGNow has their copy of the 3.1 pdf by now? Can anyone confirm that?

I will be updating 3.1 on ENWorld shortly. Temporarily I don't seem to be able to sign in to my hotmail account (their problem, not mine) so those usually getting their copy via email may have to wait either a few hours (I'll try again then) or (worst case scenario) tomorrow.

I am working nightshift for the next three nights. After that I will finish off the chapter heading illustrations for next weeks update. I should have had them in 3.1, but they need a little bit more work.

Thanks to everyone who has purchased Ascension - seems to be currently holding the #2 spot behind Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might. :cool:

Slaadmaster

First Post
Thanks to everyone that responded - it was very helpful and informative! I especially liked paradox42's ideas on secondary portfolios. I'll take a read through Surtur and Death when I get a chance (thanks for the links) and I'll take a more thorough read through Ascension (just downloaded 3.1) and I'll probably come back with some more questions/comments later :). It would be helpful to see some more deities (and monsters), I realise it is too soon to ask for a release date but could I ask if Gods and Monsters is the next book that will be released?
All this to read should keep me busy for a while (especially as I have noticed that the site that is home to Death has several other Immortal's Handbook creatures and characters)!

paradox42

First Post
Congratulations UK. You finally can see some more money roll in for this at least.

I know I'm responsible (in part) for at least six of the recent purchases, since my game has been using IH rules for some months now and I extracted promises from my players to buy the book when it became available before I shared the full rules with them. It did sort of become necessary with PCs ascending left and right, though, and most of them getting new Portfolios (that is to say, Portfolios not detailed in Ascension) to boot. We've been making lots of new material, we have- and it's still going on.

And, not sure whether you missed it above or just didn't want to reply, but would you mind showing us the list of Metempiric Abilities? I'm just very curious. :D

I don't think there is a list of Meta-Empiric powers. (I could be wrong) I think its just a hypothetical upper tier of powers beyond play.
Example Meta-empyrical power: Uncanny Akashic Mastery. (Akashic Effect taken 6 times) This lets you just flat out demote gods. Repeatedly. At this point, one hit from the beam would drain a demiurge down to to a Quasi-Deity. These would be the kinds of powers the supreme being would be wielding.

paradox42

First Post
Ltheb Silverfrond said:
I don't think there is a list of Meta-Empiric powers. (I could be wrong) I think its just a hypothetical upper tier of powers beyond play.
Example Meta-empyrical power: Uncanny Akashic Mastery. (Akashic Effect taken 6 times) This lets you just flat out demote gods. Repeatedly. At this point, one hit from the beam would drain a demiurge down to to a Quasi-Deity. These would be the kinds of powers the supreme being would be wielding.
Oh, one can certainly do that, yes- and theoretically there'd be an "Eleventh Sense" power that, say, let the player read all the books in the DM's library and the DM had to let the player read every new book as it was added to said library.

I ask, because in earlier Ascension threads UK had been giving numbers of the various tiers of abilities that would be included in Ascension, for example 250 Cosmic, and I remember the last two were always 25 Omnific and 8 Metempiric. Then he started becoming less sure how many of each tier would be in the actual book, and he said the Metempirics he had in mind were very difficult to explain in a way that meant anything in game, and so on. But at one time, there was apparently a list- so what happened to the powers on it? Did some of them get "demoted" to Omnific? Perhaps the reverse happened, and some powers that at first were pegged as Omnific got moved up to the next tier beyond?

As I said, this is really idle curiosity, but I think it'd be an interesting glimpse into the development process that's been going for so long now to see the list (if, as you say, there is one).

Woo! I just got my PDF of Ascension 3.1; I am going to have a field day with this stuff. Anyway, I've scanned through it for things that need corrections or clarifications. Here's what I've found so far:

All over the book: Intelligent beings encompass all creatures with 3+ Intelligence, not just +4 Intelligence. Afte all, animals only have 1 or 2 Intelligence, and 3 Intelligence is the minimum for taking class levels.

All over the book: How does the quintessence system interact with the xp system? As it is, the way to gain both HD and divine ranks is very unclear.

All over the book: Can you turn abilities on/off at will? For example, can you turn off Soothsayer so that you can hear someone's lies? If so, then does it take a full-round action, a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action to turn an ability on/off?

All over the book: A ton of abilities need to specify what kind of action it takes to activate the ability. For instance, Divine Immensity does not specify whether it takes a full-round action, a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action to change your size.

All over the book: Several abilities use the saving throw DC formula of 20 + relevant ability score modifier + divine rank. Shouldn't they use instead of 10 + relevant ability score modifier + divine rank instead?

All over the book: I really think that you should put a note about conflicting absolute powers cancelling each other out below each header for each tier of abilities. Right now, the note is secreted away below large tables in a few places in the book

Page 19, Epic Spell, Divine Ascension: Shouldn't the "permanent" duration be an instantaneous duration instead? That way, you won't get your divinity abruptly torn from you if ever you get hit by, say, a Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

Page 23, Table 2-6, Godly Realm Expansion: The heading on the right side of the table should read "Rate Godly Realm Expands", not "Rate Divine Aura Expands".

Page 25, Creating Your Own Deities: 1 Outsider HD with 1/2 an integrated class level is worth 1 actual class level, right? So 80 Outsider HD (with 40 integrated wizard levels) is +80 ECL, and 80 wizard levels is worth +80 ECL as well. But how much ECL is added for each size category increase? For example, an 80 HD Outsider has enough HD to qualify for Colossal size, so if the creature opts to be of Colossal size, how much is the ECL increase for that? For that matter, how is the base size of an immortal determined at all?

Pages 37-44, Divinity Templates: Do the hp multipliers for sidereals and eternals only count hp from HD, or do they encompass other sources of hp such as Constitution and Improved Toughness?

Page 47, Closed Cosmology: It sould be "only one immortal per portfolio template (or double portfolio template)", not "only one portfolio template (or double portfolio template) per portfolio".

Page 48, Creating Your Own Portfolios: The reference to Table 3-3 should point to Table 3-2 instead, and all references to Table 3-4 should refer to Table 3-3 instead. Also, the

Page 48, Creating Your Own Portfolios: The three separate portfolio-divine ability exchange rates given in Table 3-2, Table 3-3, and the upper right of page 48 don't seem to match up at all. For instance, Table 3-2 says that the benefits of a single portfolio give an intermediate deity ECL +8, but Table 3-3 states that a single portfolio's powers give an intermediate deity 11 divine abilities (ECL +11), and the upper right of page 48 (even the example given) is completely out of whack. It's really confusing. I'll assume that the upper right of page 48 was a total error, so it's got to be either Table 3-2 or Table 3-3 that's right; which is the correct one?

Page 56, Negative Energy Absorption: Does this mean that if you get hit by any negative energy attack (no matter how weak or strong), it heals you for 5 hp per HD you have?

Page 62, Fertile Loins: Riiiight... what happens when you use "unorthodox methods", or what happens if you get intimate with an "unorthodox partner".

Page 95, War Realm Hazards: "Your wisdom modifier replaces your movement speed." Uh, what?

Page 97, Metamartial Maneuvers: Do these reduce your actual BAB for the attack, or do they just impose an attack penalty? Base attack bonus and attack bonus are two very different things.

Page 98, Metamartial Maneuver, Mighty Attack: Assuming that you're in a solar system that has roughly the same setup as the real world's solar system, the sun should be ~490,813,648,000 feet away from the Earth. Let's say that you're some hotshot Medium biped immortal with 253 Strength (light load of 7,036,874,417,766.4 tons), and some insolent tarrasque (70 tons) foolishly attacks you outdoors at high noon. With Mighty Attack, you can uppercut it God Hand-style to knock it 502,633,886,983 feet in a direction of your choice. You presumably have to make a ranged touch attack roll to make the tarrasque land into the sun, but what's the virtual AC for said attack roll?

Page 98, Metamartial Maneuver, Quicken Attack: The first line is "A successful attack can daze your opponent." I'll assume you meant "You may take an extra attack in a full attack, but at the expense of accuracy" or something along those lines.

Page 98, Metamartial Maneuver, Throw Attack: How does hurling your opponent work? Does the distance formula work like Mighty Attack?

Pages 102-103, Epic Feat #4, Automatic Metamagic Capacity: Is there any cap to the amount of AMCs any given immortal can take? There's nothing stopping a deity from loading up on Multifaceteds and taking an insane number of AMCs.

Page 103, Epic Feat #17, Double Standards: I'm sorry, the name of this feat is just too bad a pun for me to bear.

Page 103, Epic Feat #19, Eclectic Shot: If you shoot a snake or chicken from a bow (or from a crossbow by using your EPIC skills to jam it in), does it do lethal bludgeoning damage as if it were a blunt arrow, or does it do only subdual damage? And can you shoot a two-handed weapon from a bow, to do 2d6 damage with a greatsword shot, for example?

Page 106, Epic Feat #49, Improved Finesse: Does this apply to only melee weapons that are finessable, or all melee weapons?

Page 106, Epic Feat #61, Legendary Archer: Does this take into account the target's attacks from BAB, or does it include extra attacks from Flurry of Blows, Mercurial, Quicken Strike, and other things that let you make extra attacks in a full attack? If it's the latter, then how do you determine how many missiles that the target can deflect, if the maximum number of attacks he can make in a round is variable? Can the target only deflect a number of missiles equal to the number of attacks he made on his last turn?

Page 106, Epic Feat #66, Mantic Frenzy: What kind of action does it take to enter a Mantic Frenzy? It lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character's what? Constitution bonus?

Page 106, Epic Feat #68, Mathesis: What counts as a "martial class"? Anything that provides 1/1 BAB?

Page 107, Epic Feat #72, Nosodic: Does this cause a Charisma penalty, Charisma damage, or Charisma drain? And can't you abuse this by being immune to Charisma penalty/damage/drain and then contracting diseases like Typhoid Mary?

Page 107, Epic Feat #78, Piercing Shot: "But each time you pierce the target the missile loses 5 points of strength modifier" makes no sense, because ranged attacks use your Dexterity modifier. Just make it say "The missile receives a cumulative -5 penalty on attack and damage rolls for each target pierced." Also, I find it strange that if a Colossal creature were to pierce another Colossal creature with an arrow, it would still count as 16 creatures pierced; shouldn't it count as only 1 creature pierced instead? Make it so that Piercing Shot compares your size category to your targets' size categories instead.

Page 109, Epic Feat #98, Superior Cleave: Can you do this more than once per round?

Page 109, Epic Feat #102, Superior Whirlwind Attack: Can the step be made between each attack, and if so, can it be done more than once per round?

Page 110, Epic Feat #112, Titanic Wild Shape: This should be an epic feat, because Colossal Wild Shape is an epic feat as well.

Page 116, Immolation (Death Throes): Since it says "When a god's manifestation is reduced to negative hit points", there's a rare chance that Immolation activates even when an immortal is not dead yet (like at -1 hp). Furthermore, a construct or undead can never use an Immolation at all, because they're destroyed at 0 hp. Make it so that Immolation activates when an immortal would be killed or otherwise destroyed.

Page 116, Strike: Is it intentional that this kind of [Effect] benefits three-weapon fighters MUCH more than two-handed fighters or two-weapon fighters? The bonus damage gets added to each attack regardless of how many attacks you have.

Page 122, Divine Ability #1, Abnormality: No benefit is listed for having two extra tails. And the ability does not say "Special: This ability may be taken multiple times. Its effects stack." when you CAN take it several times.

Page 123, Divine Ability #5, [Aligned] [Effect]: How does this work when attacking creatures that match the alignment's attack? Let's say a Lawful Neutral creature gets hit by an Axiomatic [Effect]; does he take no damage? How about if a True Neutral creature gets hit by an Axiomatic [Effect]; does he take half damage or full damage?

Page 124, Divine Ability #19, Convergent Effect: When two immortals combine their [Effect]s, are two [Effect]s shot out (each at double damage), or is it just one [Effect]? If it's the latter, then that makes Convergent Effect a bit useless, since two immortals can just fire their [Effect]s separately. As well, what happens when two immortals (both with Convergent Effect) combine their blasts? Also, you should specify that one immortal has to ready an action to fire off an [Effect] at the same time as another immortal.

Page 124, Divine Ability #20, Cozen: The prerequisites include "Pick Pocket 40 ranks", when it should be "Sleight of Hand 40 ranks" instead.

Page 126, Divine Ability #39, Dragon Companion: Does this give you a penalty on your effective druid level for determining the abilities of your animal companion?

Page 126, Divine Ability #48, Epic Presence: Is the feat selected when you take Epic Presence (and thereafter static and unchangeable), or can you select a new feat each time an ally enters your divine aura, turning it into a group Anyfeat? And can you receive the feat yourself?

Page 127, Divine Ability #66, Heavy Handed: Double your Strength bonus to damage? How much of your total Strength bonus do you add to your damage rolls when... wielding a two-handed weapon? Wielding a pair of weapons for two-weapon fighting? Wielding a trio of weapons for three-weapon fighting? And does this work for only unarmed strikes, or for all melee attacks?

Page 128, Divine Ability #67, High Handed: Isn't this just an exact copy of Perfect Weapon Focus, only with prerequisites more geared towards monks?

Page 128, Divine Abilities #74-77, Intellectual _______: Wait, aren't these EXACT copies of the Cunning ______ abilities, only with circumstance bonuses instead? Is this redundancy intentional?

Page 128, Divine Ability #83, Lord of Blood: If anything, this should be a handicap instead of a divine ability. The sunlight and water weaknesses far outweigh any of the benefits, and the fact that your blood drain only deals 1d4 Constitution damage and you still summon very weak creatures with Children of the Night is just sad.

Page 129, Divine Ability #91, Mime Ability: There's no limit to the level of ability you can copy? So an immortal can watch a time lord use an omnific ability and use it for himself? Make it so that you can only copy up to esoteric abilities appropriate to your divine status.

Page 129, Divine Ability #92, Mime Ability Score: Once again, does this mean that an immortal can watch a time lord and spontaneously copy one of his super-large (and quite possibly infinite) ability scores? I suggest you impose a limit, but I don't know how high the limit should be.

Page 130, Divine Ability #100, Obscure Damage Reduction: Why would anyone take this when they can just take Perfect Damage Reduction instead?

Page 132, Divine Ability #128, Razor Tongue: What the hell is "morale damage"? Make it "untyped damage" instead.

Page 132, Divine Ability #137, Seeking Shot: "A target with the Deflect Arrows feat cancels out"... the effects of this ability, but does not deflect the arrow?

Page 134, Divine Ability #156, Superior Combat Casting: I don't think it should say "In effect you cast all spells as spell-like abilities", because that would mean that your spells would have no gp or xp costs, letting you cast Miracles and Wishes for free.

Page 134, Divine Ability #161, Superior Manyshot: This already exists as a non-epic feat in the form of Greater Manyshot from the Expanded Psionics Handbook (and the SRD). In fact, the XPH's Greater Manyshot is even better than this ability, because it lets you target different opponents with each arrow, and also allows you to apply precision damage on each arrow.

Page 135, Divine Ability #169, Sweat-Born: Do you still have to lay an egg for this (as per Egg-Born), or does your baby spontaneously spawn from a drop of sweat?

Page 135, Divine Ability #181, Uncanny Cleave: How does this work? Let's say I make a full attack against one enemy (who's in the front line of an army). Do I get to move at my base movement speed between each attack, or do I get to move a number of feet equal to my base movement speed for the entire round?

Page 135, Divine Ability #182, Uncanny Dodge: Change the name to something else, because Uncanny Dodge is already a class ability. Also, it should say "You can use your Dexterity modifier in place of the dodge bonuses from Dodge and Improved Dodge".

Page 139, Cosmic Ability #1, Abrogate: What happens when two immortals' opt to Abrogate each other's Abrogate?

Page 139, Cosmic Ability #3, Alter Reality: Don't sidereals and eternals already get this for free, minus the Quickened Wish at will (but you can go ahead and use the built-in sidereal/eternal Alter Reality to gain a Quickened Wish at will if you have 4 Automatic Metamagic Capacities, go figure)? Also, do you still have to pay the xp cost for the Quickened Wish each time?

Page 143, Cosmic Ability #35, Doombringer: Does this permanently reduce an opponent's maximum hp by 25%? Or does it just inflict untyped damage equal to 25% of the target's maximum hp?

Page 144, Cosmic Ability #36, Doppelganger: Whoah, whoah, whoah. You can shapechange into ANYONE and receive their exact form and abilities? What's stopping you from taking the form of a time lord or a high lord? There should definitely be a limit here.

Page 144, Cosmic Ability #43, Gestalt: How exactly does this work? There's no in-depth explanation at all. Do you form a new being? Do you merge with another being? What's the HD of the gestalt being?

Page 144, Cosmic Ability #44, Gravitic Effect: Is it just me, or is this waaaaay more powerful than even a Transcendental [Effect] with Inner Eye, given the way hp scales and how much hp sidereals and eternals have?

Page 144, Cosmic Ability #49, Inner Eye: This includes damage rolls, even for [Effect]s, right? Wait, if I use this with Astro [Effect], does that give me an auto-kill policy?

Page 144, Cosmic Ability #46, Heavy Eradication: Does this follow the rules for trumping immunities, as per the rules for portfolio trumping? Or does it ignore critical hit immunity no matter how high the divine rank of your target is?

Page 145, Cosmic Ability #53, Legendary [Ability Score]: Does this count the enhancement bonus from artifacts too?

Page 145, Cosmic Ability #54, Legion: Your real manifestation doesn't exist while the six avatars are present, right? What happens when one of them is killed? How do you regenerate avatars in the event that one or more get killed? What happens when all of them are killed?

Page 145, Cosmic Ability #58, Martyrdom: Is the damage split amongst all of your allies, or focused one at a time sequentially? And if your allies are truly willing to eat damage for you, do they HAVE to flee?

Page 145, Cosmic Ability #59, Metamorph: How exactly does doubling the power of an assumed form work? Does it just double the HD (and divine rank, if any) of the form? Also, this seems extremely overpowered when you use it together with Doppelganger.

Page 145, Cosmic Ability #64, Nullification: Does this work like Abrogate, such that any enemy within your divine aura has all of its feats nullified? If so, then it seems very overpowered, since it can subsequently lead to many divine/cosmic/transcendental/omnific abilities also being nullified if the enemy hasn't stocked up on the Nescience chain, due to prerequisites.

Page 147, Cosmic Ability #75, Redivivus: How do you determine the greatest past foe of an enemy that you (and the DM) have no real information about? And what's stopping you from using Redivivus again once your summon dies? Or

Page 148, Cosmic Ability #87, Spirited Away: Don't you already get banished to your home plane when you get taken down to -10 hp (or in the case of constructs and undead, 0 hp)? Or does this simply remove the "banished for a century from that plane" and HD recovery ordeal?

Page 148, Cosmic Ability #95, Thelemic [Effect]: This just punishes people for having nice and round numbers for their Hit Dice, doesn't it? Most immortals will have a number of HD equal to a multiple of 5 for cleanliness.

Page 149, Cosmic Ability #99, Transmogrify: With things like Legendary Strength (and later on, Infinite Strength), doesn't this let you grow to stupidly big sizes by raging for an extended period of time? 10 minutes spent raging gives you +100 size categories, easily pushing you past the Xona scale. There should definitely be a limit here.

Page 150, Cosmic Ability #108, Writhing [Effect]: Does damage from this stack? For example, if I hit an enemy with Writhing [Effect] on one round and hit him with Writhing [Effect] again on the next round, does the damage for each stack?

Page 152, Transcendental Ability #2, Astro [Effect]: Just a flat percentage chance with no save and no possible defenses? Wow, overpowered. This means that you have the chance of erasing the Supreme Being if you get lucky and manage to land a shot on him.

Page 153, Transcendental Ability #8, Divine Nullification: Just like Numinous, this can get very nasty because it can wipe out cosmic/transcendental/omnific abilities too, due to the way prerequisites work.

Page 153, Transcendental Ability #12, Evil Eye: Just like Inner Eye, does this affect damage rolls for [Effect]s too?

Page 153, Transcendental Ability #16, Invincibility: This seems kind of useless. Considering how relatively low your saving throw bonuses are compared to your hp, anything that you can make the Fortitude save for is going to be negligible damage in the 3-digit range anyway.

Page 154, Transcendental Ability #24, Omega Effect: How big a transfusion of xp is required to restore a given amount of HD?

Page 154, Transcendental Ability #26, Paradox: How often can you summon a duplicate this way? And isn't this another very overpowered ability, since you can quite possibly force the Supreme Being to fight itself?

Page 154, Transcendental Ability #30, Rectify: What does "full effect", "half effect", and "one quarter effect" mean? Does it reduce the number of times you can reroll for Astro Effect? What happens if you kill your parents with Rectify?

Page 154, Transcendental Ability #31, Sophism: Why would anyone take something like Invincibility over this? What counts as an "assault", and what's the formula for the DC?

Page 155, Transcendental Ability #44, Transmigration: There's no save for this?

Page 155, Transcendental Ability #45, Transmute: Can you change things into magic items too? If so, then what's stopping you from changing a rock into a magic item with an equivalent enhancement bonus of +999,999,999,999,999?

Page 155, Transcendental Ability #48, Transtemporal: This was nerfed a bit from the previous version (which made it so that an enemy without Slipstream could take no actions against you), but this is still an auto-kill policy against anyone without Slipstream (since you can just go back in time and murder them as a baby), forcing every sane-minded sidereal to take Slipstream.

Page 156, Transcendental Ability #50, Ultima [Effect]: See my note about Writhing [Effect]. If an enemy gets hit by Ultima [Effect] twice, does the damage stack?

Page 158, Omnific Ability #8, Oblivion: What exactly does this do?

Page 158, Omnific Ability #16, Omnipresent: Does this affect only the plane you're on, or the entire universe?

Page 158, Omnific Ability #20, Tenth Sense: I won't even ask.

Page 162, Psionic Divine Ability #8, Power Shot: What benefit does shooting powers as missiles give you? What's so special about a Power Shotted Ego Whip, for example?

Also, I haven't seen any real fix for the combo of Deflect Arrows, Snatch Arrows, Exceptional Deflection, Infinite Deflection, and Reflect Arrows yet. As it stands, ranged attacks are utterly useless in immortal play, making Beam effects ineffective, for example. Is there any fix to this?

As you can see, there are a TON of things that need fixing. I hope you can rectify at least some of the problems in the next update.

Last edited:

Some of those questions are interpretation based =
Automatic Metamagic Capacity - Nothing really prevents you from loading up, but your DM may slap YOU for doing it. Besides, in epic, you get so many feats you can afford to take feats 'just for fun'. And remember, spellcasting is something that can be Abrogated.

Abrogate - Abrogate may not be their most potent ability. In the case of, say, two timelords, it certainly won't be. It would very well be up to your DM at this point whether the Player can choose what he or she abrogates, or whether it MUST be the foe's most potent ability. (Which, also, would be up to the DM) Abrogate may seem super powerful, but, if you have ever run an epic campaign, its necessary to curb lopsided characters. (Charing Smiting Cavalier Paladins, for example) It means that PCs can't rely on min-maxing, and in general, is probably my favorite power simply because each character can describe it differently. :)

Convergent Effect - I read it as the effects are combined, and it deals damage as one effect of Double the HD of both deitys. Example: Two Lesser gods of 100 HD each shoot perfect Fire Beams. Each would do 100d6. If they used Convergent effect, the beams combine to become one beam that does (200 HD [the combined HD of the gods] X2) 400d6 fire damage.

Nullification - Nullifying one's feats just means they can't be used. If you needed Epic Weapon Focus for the Divine Ability Perfect weapon Focus, just just stop receiving the +2. You still have the feat, you just can't use it. Now, in some cases with divine (or higher) abilities that modify an existing feat (Like Uncanny Power Attack) you may be unable to use the power because the feat it modifies can't be used.

Omega Effect - By transfusion of Xp, he means you just plain need to gain more levels. Omega effect is like taking a negative level and failing the save 24 hours later all in an instant. It is very nasty.

Astro Effect - Yep, super powerful. This is why there is abrogate. By the time a god can get two unstoppable instant-win powers, (Like Astro Hand or Omega Hand) he is at LEAST a demiurge, meaning there are no gods in their universe that can rival them.

Gravitic Effect - Very powerful. Not always more powerful than Transient effect. If I blast a Commoner or an army with this, it wont do much damage. Gravitic Effect is good to blast higher-level monsters with, but against mooks, Higher flat damage may be a larger chunk of their HP.

Invincibility - Seems useless, but given there are billions of ways to trump damage reduction, this is not too terribly bad. It means a large number of weaker foes cannot ever beat you. Ever. They can't win even if you fall asleep while they attack. It also blocks several of the ability-score damaging Effects. (Since it is doubtful you can do that much ability score damage)

Though, I also agree that more clarification on some of these would be nice, until then DMs should use their best judgement on what makes sense.

Howdy Slaadmaster! :)

Slaadmaster said:
Thanks to everyone that responded - it was very helpful and informative! I especially liked paradox42's ideas on secondary portfolios. I'll take a read through Surtur and Death when I get a chance (thanks for the links) and I'll take a more thorough read through Ascension (just downloaded 3.1) and I'll probably come back with some more questions/comments later :). It would be helpful to see some more deities (and monsters), I realise it is too soon to ask for a release date but could I ask if Gods and Monsters is the next book that will be released?

The next book for release will probably be the Gods portion of Gods & Monsters. Or at least I'll concentrate on finishing that off as soon as I get the Ascension art completed.

If I wait until I have the monsters portion ready I'll be here til next year, so better releasing things in smaller chunks.

Slaadmaster said:
All this to read should keep me busy for a while (especially as I have noticed that the site that is home to Death has several other Immortal's Handbook creatures and characters)!

There are lots of cool characters and monsters out there, and don't forget to have a look in the "Design an Epic Monster Competition" thread.

Remove ads