• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Ascension Discussion

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Krusty has Adamantine as weight 16x what ordinary organic tissues would weigh.

Krusty has Iron (a primary component of steel...which is actually lighter than base iron) weighing in at 6.4x what ordinary organic tissues would weigh.

This means that adamantine DEFINITELY weighs more than steel in the Krusty Universe. Which is what one must go by when using Krusty's material.

So therefore...adamantine weighing more than steel should have some sort of impact on both weight and virtual size categories.

Unless of course Krusty were to complete invalidate Adamantine Body and make it not increase your weight x16, but x6.4 instead.

Therein lies my problem.

It is my understanding that WOTC never once took VSC into account when designing their version of adamantine, which in theory should weight more than steel anyways.

There's a discrepancy when it comes to material Strength modifiers and virtual size categories which stems from U_K's assumption that the human body has an average density of 1.2 g/cm^3. That's wrong, because the human body actually has an average density of 1.0 g/cm^3, roughly the same as water.

Iron has a density of 7.87 g/cm^3, so Iron Body should give +30 Strength (x8 weight multiplier).

I really think that Iron Body and Adamantine Body are a bit too powerful for divine abilities, since they end up giving you a considerably high Strength bonus. They should be redone into Stone Body and Iron Body, because a lot of complications arise when adamantine comes into the picture.

Divine Ability: STONE BODY (EX)
Your body turns into solid granite.
Prerequisites: Construct or elemental traits.
Benefit: Your body becomes pure granite, giving you a density of 2.75 grams per cubic centimeter and multiplying your mass by x2.75 (assuming you were originally composed of flesh and bone). This increases your Strength score by 15, giving you an additional virtual size category. (See pages 5-6 of the Immortals Handbook: Epic Bestiary Volume One for details on virtual size categories.) You also have damage reduction 10/adamantine in addition to your existing damage reduction.

Divine Ability: IRON BODY (EX)
Your body turns into solid iron.
Prerequisites: Construct or elemental traits, Stone Body.
Benefit: Your body becomes pure iron, giving you a density of 7.87 grams per cubic centimeter and multiplying your mass by x7.87 (assuming you were originally composed of flesh and bone). This increases your Strength score by 30, giving you two additional virtual size categories. (See pages 5-6 of the Immortals Handbook: Epic Bestiary Volume One for details on virtual size categories.) You also have damage reduction 10/adamantine in addition to your existing damage reduction.
You are immune to any non-epic effects that might rust you, such as a rust monster's touch. However, you are still vulnerable to epic effects that cause rust, such as the Rusting [Effect] divine ability.
Special: This divine ability overlaps with Stone Body, it does not stack.

Last edited:

WarDragon

First Post
Adamantine Body should still give higher Str and Natural Armor than Iron, because it's harder, even though it's not heavier. And if there's only one of them, it should be Iron, which is more iconic.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Id like to see gold body. It's pretty iconic in of itself when one thinks of greed. I also think the Construct Traits requirement should be done away with or substituted with...

Construct Traits, Elemental Traits

Constructs aren't the only things made of odd materials.

WarDragon said:
Adamantine Body should still give higher Str and Natural Armor than Iron, because it's harder, even though it's not heavier. And if there's only one of them, it should be Iron, which is more iconic.

The problem there is that U_K's virtual size category system is purely based on density, and that includes Strength and natural armor. Since adamantine has the exact same density as iron, the only difference is their hardness.

dante58701 said:
Id like to see gold body. It's pretty iconic in of itself when one thinks of greed. I also think the Construct Traits requirement should be done away with or substituted with...

Gold has a density of 19.3 g/cm^3, which has a material Strength modifier of roughly +43. Platinum, on the other hand, has a density of 21.45 g/cm^3, which results in a material Strength modifier of roughly +45. You know what, let's just go with platinum instead, because it provides a much smoother Strength increase progression (+15 for Stone Body, +30 for Iron Body, +45 for Platinum Body), and platinum is worth more than gold anyway.

Divine Ability: PLATINUM BODY (EX)
Your body turns into solid platinum.
Prerequisites: Construct or elemental traits, Iron Body, Stone Body.
Benefit: Your body becomes pure platinum, giving you a density of 21.45 grams per cubic centimeter and multiplying your mass by x21.45 (assuming you were originally composed of flesh and bone). This increases your Strength score by 45, giving you three additional virtual size categories. (See pages 5-6 of the Immortals Handbook: Epic Bestiary Volume One for details on virtual size categories.) You also have damage reduction 5/adamantine in addition to your existing damage reduction.
You are immune to any non-epic effects that might rust you, such as a rust monster's touch. However, you are still vulnerable to epic effects that cause rust, such as the Rusting [Effect] divine ability.
Special: This divine ability overlaps with Iron Body and Stone Body, it does not stack.

dante58701 said:
I also think the Construct Traits requirement should be done away with or substituted with...

Construct Traits, Elemental Traits

Constructs aren't the only things made of odd materials.

Fair enough, since an earth elemental can be made out of solid granite while still having a Constitution score. I don't see why a super-earth elemental couldn't be made out of living iron or platinum.

Last edited:

WarDragon

First Post
Fair enough, since an earth elemental can be made out of solid granite while still having a Constitution score. I don't see why a super-earth elemental couldn't be made out of living iron or platinum.

Rich Burlew would agree.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
While platinum is worth more, I need Gold Body for a theme I'm doing in an Egyptian setting.

=^.^= Yeah, elementals should be able to take the various string of traits involving adamantine, ect.

Frobojoe

First Post
Adslahnit said:
Divine Ability: IRON BODY (EX)
...giving you a density of 7.87 grams per cubic centimeter and multiplying your mass by x7.87 (assuming you were originally composed of flesh and bone)...
A phrase like this should never appear anywhere near a D&D ability. Just round it already.

Remove ads