• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Ascension Discussion

dante58701

Banned
Banned
+4 additional artifacts...+1/3 to challenge rating and level adjustment?

i.e. Intermediate Deity gains +14 CR and +20 LA?

I don't limit my player's to 4 artifacts, though I do need a method of measuring it's CR and LA. Do I just use the modular rules?

I have a limit of 8 artifacts, because many gamers in my group have 4+ artifacts that their characters manufactured themselves.

Also...I allow them to split their artifacts into less powerful artifacts.

While this doesn't follow the rule of 4, it does work well for our purposes since 4 artifacts just doesn't seem right to a gaming group used to using +20 everdancing, ect. shuriken.

An alternative option I'm considering is allowing them to quest for up to 4 additional artifacts. This way they can't just automatically have them.

Is it possible using Ascension to have more than 4 artifacts without breaking the templates?

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Dragonmoon said:
Hi Uk, I and my friends have devoured your book and the excitement for the following one is great. I've one question on Ravana the Rakshasas god. With your rules, if I suppose he is a great power, how he may obtain ten heads and twenty arms? It's important for my campaign...
Thanks, :)

This isn't too hard to do. Assuming you build Ravana's base stats under the assumption that he has one head and two arms, he'll need to take the Abnormality divine ability eighteen times (nine times for nine extra heads, and nine more times for nine more pairs of arms).

Now, each deity gains four artifacts. If you choose to give the deity less than this, each artifact given up is worth a number of divine abilities equal to the deity's divine rank, which is sixteen for a greater deity.

U_K advises that you spend these on the highest-possible powers they can purchase as esoteric abilities (e.g. sixteen divine abilities here would be two cosmic abilities and four divine abilities) but there's no reason you have to do that. Simply sacrifice one of Ravana's artifacts to grant him sixteen additional divine abilities, and spend them all on Abnormality. You'll still need to spend two more, but these can come from the sixteen divine abilities he normally receives as a greater god anyway.

Hope that helps! :)

Dragonmoon

Explorer
Alzrius said:
This isn't too hard to do. Assuming you build Ravana's base stats under the assumption that he has one head and two arms, he'll need to take the Abnormality divine ability eighteen times (nine times for nine extra heads, and nine more times for nine more pairs of arms).

Now, each deity gains four artifacts. If you choose to give the deity less than this, each artifact given up is worth a number of divine abilities equal to the deity's divine rank, which is sixteen for a greater deity.

U_K advises that you spend these on the highest-possible powers they can purchase as esoteric abilities (e.g. sixteen divine abilities here would be two cosmic abilities and four divine abilities) but there's no reason you have to do that. Simply sacrifice one of Ravana's artifacts to grant him sixteen additional divine abilities, and spend them all on Abnormality. You'll still need to spend two more, but these can come from the sixteen divine abilities he normally receives as a greater god anyway.

Hope that helps! :)

Great! Thanks! :D

Hey Dragonmoon! :)

Dragonmoon said:
Hi Uk, I and my friends have devoured your book and the excitement for the following one is great. I've one question on Ravana the Rakshasas god. With your rules, if I suppose he is a great power, how he may obtain ten heads and twenty arms? It's important for my campaign...
Thanks, :)

Alzrius already answered your question (thanks dude), but its just coincidental that I was doing some Ravana research over the past day or two. I am thinking that his brothers and sisters would be Rakshasa nobility each with a different big cat look, so Kumbhakarna would be more like a Smilodon, Surpanakha would be akin to a Panther etc.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
=^.^= I'd just be happy to see some more armor special qualities. We have a HUGE deficit in armor special qualities.

Ok...

Armor...

Divine +6? or +2?

Cosmic +36? or +12?

Transcendental +72? or +25?

What are they worth when it comes to armor?

Weapons...

Divine +6? or +2?

Cosmic +36? or +12?

What are they worth when it comes to weapons?

Hi dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
=^.^= I'd just be happy to see some more armor special qualities. We have a HUGE deficit in armor special qualities.

Ok...

Armor...

Divine +6? or +2?

Cosmic +36? or +12?

What are they worth when it comes to armor?

Weapons...

Divine +6? or +2?

Cosmic +36? or +12?

What are they worth when it comes to weapons?

Okay, this is one of those amusing 3rd Edition problems where there is no right answer and something invariably ends up out of whack.

You could always try the following:

Divine +6 Weapon, +8 Armour
Cosmic +22 Weapon, +30 Armour
Transcendental +64 Weapon, +90 Armour

Davus Antonius

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi dante mate! :)

Okay, this is one of those amusing 3rd Edition problems where there is no right answer and something invariably ends up out of whack.

You could always try the following:

Divine +6 Weapon, +8 Armour
Cosmic +22 Weapon, +30 Armour
Transcendental +64 Weapon, +90 Armour

Ok, that probably would work for weapons and armours, but what about other items like say cloaks and rings? How would we factor in the divine ability?

Figure out the closest bonus in terms of GP value and then add the ability? That works if you have other stuff on there, but what if there's only divine ability combinations?

Remove ads