• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Ascension Discussion

WarDragon

First Post
Paragon said:
a quick portfolio clarification please :)

it seems like you gain 2 portfolios every time you gain a "level' of divinity, i.e. from prophet to hero-deity and from hero-deity to quasi-deity, or am i correct in reading that you always have 2 portfolios?

not trying to nit-pick, just trying to clarify.

thanks!
Why would this be the sole and single aspect of the templates that stacks, rather than replacing the lower ones?

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
WarDragon said:
Why would this be the sole and single aspect of the templates that stacks, rather than replacing the lower ones?

because it states on each template, Each (insert divine template) gains 2 Portfolios.
and looking at the portfolio chapter it didn't really state the only 2 portfolio standard. (which i thought was the rule, again just looking for clarification)
the caveat being "that i could find" i'm not bright, i know it, so i look for clarification when necessary.

thanks!

Impeesa

Explorer
First off: I need to check in here more often, I can't believe I finally have a finished product in my e-hands. I've given it a thorough skimming, and I like what I see.

Out of curiosity, though... what are other people's opinions on some of the portfolio prerequisites? One of the main PCs in the game I'm most likely to use this book for would almost definitely end up with Strength and Skill, but one requires str highest and one requires dex highest. Other things, like conflicting suggestions on favored weapon and whatnot, I can handwave as flavor descriptions, but the mechanics seem to preclude perfectly reasonable combinations. Technically one could meet that with exactly equal str and dex scores, or by boosting one score after completing the trial for the other... but in this particular case, such pedantry or trickery hardly seems appropriate to the character. ;)

Also, I don't see any sort of portfolio for The Hunt (tracking, [creature]slaying, marksmanship, etc). Oversight, victim of space, or covered by an existing portfolio that I've missed somehow?

Hey guys! :)

Paragon, as others have noted in my absence, each higher divinity portfolio replaces (does not stack with) any lower divinity portfolio.

Impeesa said:
First off: I need to check in here more often,

Wait a minute, I remember you... ;)

Hows it going Impeesa mate? :D

I can't believe I finally have a finished product in my e-hands. I've given it a thorough skimming, and I like what I see.

Glad you like it. I'm not totally happy with it, but I can't but wonder if its my growing animosity of the 3E ruleset in Ascension or just my own bad decisions that are colouring my opinion on the matter (Probably a mix of both).

Out of curiosity, though... what are other people's opinions on some of the portfolio prerequisites? One of the main PCs in the game I'm most likely to use this book for would almost definitely end up with Strength and Skill, but one requires str highest and one requires dex highest.

They could be equal highest of course. By the letter of the law as long as one wasn't higher than the other.

Other things, like conflicting suggestions on favored weapon and whatnot, I can handwave as flavor descriptions, but the mechanics seem to preclude perfectly reasonable combinations. Technically one could meet that with exactly equal str and dex scores, or by boosting one score after completing the trial for the other... but in this particular case, such pedantry or trickery hardly seems appropriate to the character. ;)

Yes I suppose the prerequisite doesn't really add anything to the character. Although it did seem apropos at the time.

Also, I don't see any sort of portfolio for The Hunt (tracking, [creature]slaying, marksmanship, etc). Oversight, victim of space, or covered by an existing portfolio that I've missed somehow?

Yes a few people have mentioned this. Techically Archery was meant to be folded into Skill. However, in the new edition I may make Archery the defacto "Dexterity" Portfolio, and have 'Skill' as an aspect of Archery.

zen_hydra

First Post
Finished version of the 3.5 Ascension

Hey there, UK.

I haven't been here in quite a while, but did you ever put out a completely finished version of Ascension for 3.5?

I had bought my preorder of it through the old EN World store, but I don't think that is around anymore, so I can't check to see if there was ever another version update.

The last version that I was received was named "IH_-_Ascension_(v3.1).pdf". It still had a lot of empty space reserved for art, and I am unsure of its level of completeness.

zen_hydra said:
Hey there, UK.

Hiya zen_hydra mate!

I haven't been here in quite a while, but did you ever put out a completely finished version of Ascension for 3.5?

I have not, as yet got the art finished. My own fault (obviously).

I had bought my preorder of it through the old EN World store, but I don't think that is around anymore, so I can't check to see if there was ever another version update.

The last version that I was received was named "IH_-_Ascension_(v3.1).pdf". It still had a lot of empty space reserved for art, and I am unsure of its level of completeness.

I think 3.1 was the last update. It is still missing 17 art pieces.

Even though I have two artists more or less onboard for future books, I can't use them for something 'already out there'. Nor Godsend.

However, I am sort of thinking again that maybe a 3.5 print release of Ascension will happen, so finishing that art may be my immediate priority - given my current computer problem is making progress on Godsend temporarily impossible.

I have really got out of the swing of doing art, and the longer you leave it the more self-doubt about my own skill holds me back. But I have almost a week before I return to work so if I could finish a handful of pieces and plan some new ones at least that would be a step in the right direction.

By the way, regarding ENWorld store and Godsend. I think I'll make the Gods part of Godsend a free download (which was the part initially meant to come with Ascension), but the whole pdf will not be free.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Even though I have two artists more or less onboard for future books, I can't use them for something 'already out there'. Nor GodsenBy the way, regarding ENWorld store and Godsend. I think I'll make the Gods part of Godsend a free download (which was the part initially meant to come with Ascension), but the whole pdf will not be free.
I want the WHOLE download, not just the Gods part. Hell, I'd be lining up right now for it if it were actually available. When is it tentatively (since deadlines are never met) due to be done anyway? =^.^=

Hey dante dude! :)

dante58701 said:
I want the WHOLE download, not just the Gods part. Hell, I'd be lining up right now for it if it were actually available.

I appreciate the interest mate. :blush:

When is it tentatively (since deadlines are never met) due to be done anyway? =^.^=

Why do you ask these questions when you know I cannot give an answer because I cannot say when it will be done. :(

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Hey dante dude! :)

Alo! :)

I appreciate the interest mate. :blush:

It's definitely worth the money. :)

Why do you ask these questions when you know I cannot give an answer because I cannot say when it will be done. :(

O.O I don't know. That's a good question. Mayhaps it's because I keep forgetting that your deadlines are like curses. Once you set one for yourself something explosive happens to get in the way of said deadline. It's like you made a gypsy angry or something. O.O

Remove ads