Immortal's Handbook continuation thread continuation

Anubis

First Post
On a different topic, by the way . . . I would like to hear all thoughts and guesses on this one . . .

In my campaign, Vampires can procreate to either give birth to pureblood Vampires or Half-Vampires. My question, however, is about other "Half" Templates and what happens when they procreate.

If a Half-Dragon/Half Vashar and a Vashar Vampire have a child, what exactly is the child? I know that it would technically be Quarter-Vampire/Quarter-Vashar/Half-Vampire, but what exactly are the best rules, if any, for what is effectively a "Quarter" Template? Should that blood be ignored as it is not enough to change things, or what?

The same question could be asked if a Half-Dragon and a Half-Demon had offspring. What do you do in such situations?

By the way, to keep this on the topic of the Immortal's Handbook . . . This question could ALSO be put up for deities who have children by mortals. Say Heironeous knocks up a Human girl . . . What is the kid?

Last edited:

Impeesa

Explorer
Hm... for your last question there, I couldn't get a straight answer out of him on that one before. He said it depends on the deity and the specific situation, etc.

And to whoever was saying that the +x to single save feats should be more valuable than the +x to all saves feat... as it stands, the single save feat gives a higher bonus to one at the expense of a lower total bonus value (+2 vs +3 by the existing rules). That's the price you pay for specialization. Making the single-save feats give a higher bonus than the all-saves feat does in total makes the second one worthless.

--Impeesa--

Eldorian

First Post
Exactly what Impeesa said. There are only two reasons I have seen a player take one of those feats, prestige requirements, or to mitigate a horrible save, such as the will save on our 8 wisdom fighter. The +1 to all saves feat luck of heroes, however, has been taken by people that wanted a general increase in saves, much like people choose to be halflings.

Eldorian Antar

Hi Anubis mate! :)

Anubis said:
First off, I rated the party at a flat Level 12, as I am going by the core rules for CR and that for the moment, simply changing the CRs of things instead of changing the system.

Okay.

Anubis said:
Second, I rated Adepts at 1/3, so I considered them CR 6 each. Even at CR 10, however, the EL should have only been 15, meaning you are right, *by those numbers*, it should have been close to a 50/50 battle. Like I said, that's not the result.

Part of the problem herein is that spellcasters are generally more powerful in and of their own abilities than other classes, meaning that magic items are less a proportion of their challenge rating.

However, under the current circumstances that still wouldn't have been any worse than a 50/50 encounter.

Anubis said:
As for the Wizard, she is not a splat mage with all the damage spells, she's a utility/instant kill type. There are no clerics (the party is Vashar) and no splat mages.

By your system, however, a party consisting of four copies of the Vampire character should have had almost a 50/50 chance if not an even better chance, and I know for a fact that Vampire was unable to do ANYTHING. With Stomeskin, that decrease the hit damage by 10. Also, with Polymorph Self, the Adepts became Fire Giants and they all had +1 weaponry. The Vampires would have been defeated very quickly.

Not so.

Four such vampires, used properly, could have drained the Adepts to the point where they couldn't have used spells like stoneskin, polymorph self and polymorph other. Also the adepts could only have had one of each spell.

Anubis said:
You can't COUNT on having access to splat spells and the such. That's not part of the CR equation, after all.

Indeed. But you can count on players knowing their own characters.

I don't know much about Bards but Improved Invisibility seems like a good start for most encounters. Access to Silence (cast on the Rogue perhaps); Haste; Summon Monster would also prove useful.

The Rogue should have some method of becoming Invisible, potions at least. You want to put that sneak attack to good use as soon as possible.

Anubis said:
The Wizard's tactics were not at fault in the least!

Debatable.

Anubis said:
I'm sure most everybody would agree with me that not all Wizards are fireball-toting splatfests of exploding fun. This one happens to be primarily a Necromancer, in fact. Thus, the party had no decent access to any major damage spells.

Irrelevant. He must have a number of attack options for given situations!?

Enervation combined with the vampires Energy Drain would have been useful. But if he doesn't have many damaging spells then he should have concentrated on defence.

Anubis said:
Yet your numbers suggest they still should have had a 50/50 chance. I say that's not the case. In fact, I would dare to say that Adepts might be something closer to Level*3/4 that Level*1/2 or Level*1/3. In fact, I would say Adepts are stronger than Warriors and are the strongest NPC class!

I am happy with my own current rating.

Anubis said:
On a different topic, by the way . . . I would like to hear all thoughts and guesses on this one . . .

In my campaign, Vampires can procreate to either give birth to pureblood Vampires or Half-Vampires. My question, however, is about other "Half" Templates and what happens when they procreate.

If a Half-Dragon/Half Vashar and a Vashar Vampire have a child, what exactly is the child? I know that it would technically be Quarter-Vampire/Quarter-Vashar/Half-Vampire, but what exactly are the best rules, if any, for what is effectively a "Quarter" Template? Should that blood be ignored as it is not enough to change things, or what?

The same question could be asked if a Half-Dragon and a Half-Demon had offspring. What do you do in such situations?

By the way, to keep this on the topic of the Immortal's Handbook . . . This question could ALSO be put up for deities who have children by mortals. Say Heironeous knocks up a Human girl . . . What is the kid?

The mother is always the base creature as far as I am concerned.

As for Immortal Children it depends on the parents.

A mortal mother would give birth to a human with the hero-deity template.

An immortal mother would give birth to a quasi-deity with 20 Outsider Hit Dice.

Anubis

First Post
Upper_Krust said:

The mother is always the base creature as far as I am concerned.

Two things . . . First off, why the mother? Just curious, seeing as genetics is usually determined by the father if I'm not mistaken. Second, this doesn't answer my question. I already know the child WOULD be Half-Vampire regardless of who the mother or father is, because one parent is a Vampire. My question is how to rate the Quarter-Dragon/Quarter-Vashar part.

Upper_Krust said:

As for Immortal Children it depends on the parents.

A mortal mother would give birth to a human with the hero-deity template.

An immortal mother would give birth to a quasi-deity with 20 Outsider Hit Dice.

Again, why is the mother base if the father determines genetics? Would you be able to give som more details in your answers to help me understand?

Bjorn Doneerson

First Post
I was thinking about half-divine children, and I couldn't off the top of my head think of a case in mythology where the mommy was a goddess and the daddy was a mortal. Can anyone think of one?

Oh and Hiya to everyone (including His Krustiness)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Upper Krust, I just wanted to ask (I admit I'm cross-posting from the WotC boards), is this Immortals Handbook going to be available for sale through a company, or just released as a fan-work for free?

Hi Bjorn mate! :)

Bjorn Doneerson said:
I was thinking about half-divine children, and I couldn't off the top of my head think of a case in mythology where the mommy was a goddess and the daddy was a mortal. Can anyone think of one?

Oh and Hiya to everyone (including His Krustiness)

I am sure there would be some in Greek Mythology. I mean Aphrodite was a bit of a strumpet.

Hey there Alzrius! :)

Love the Avatar by the way! :)

Alzrius said:
Upper Krust, I just wanted to ask (I admit I'm cross-posting from the WotC boards), is this Immortals Handbook going to be available for sale through a company, or just released as a fan-work for free?

Its going to be available through a company. I will release details as soon as the SRD is updated...

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=7270

...shouldn't be too long now. :)

Thanks to poilbrun for that information. ;)

Remove ads