• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortal's Handbook continuation thread

Heya mate! :)

Clay_More said:
Hey, I was wondering, are you gonna include some form of Abomination Template, to create the misbegotten kind of spawns found in the ELH? I always liked the Abominations, especially the Atropal.

I have 5 new Abominations in the IH, I'll show how they are made although essentially they already did that in the ELH, didn't they!?

Of course Abominations are only the misbegotten offspring of the immortals...wait until you get to see the progeny of the sidereals (cosmic gods).

Clay_More said:
Is this thread gonna be remade soon, its approaching critical mass :) (Watch out Captain, shes gonna blow)

:D

Clay_More said:
It might be a little unsuitable simply posting in your CR/EL thread, since thats not the purpose of that thread (and, I am really not that keen on CR systems, so I have very few comments on the matter). By Keen, I mean that I am interested, but not skilled to make deep comments. Seems as if though there are some people already responding there that are far more clever than me on the matter :)

We already started a new thread on this subject, I only linked to this one because it has the FAQ.

Clay_More said:
I was actually wondering, will it be anyone we might know that is going to do the art, or will it be a text-mostly kind of book?

I'm doing the art.

Clay_More said:
I have kinda noticed (I have a bad habit of using peoples profile to see what they respond to) that you seem to get into the threads discussing D&D art. Even though, being a good writer is very important, good arts puts the text to life.

I am probably as capable an artist as I am a writer, whether thats compliment to my art or an insult to my writing I'll leave up to people when they get the Immortals Handbook. :D

Clay_More

First Post
Oh, you paint yourself. Did you do your own paintings for the monster contributions for the Scarred Lands monster book? I havent really seen examples of your art (that Im aware of), so ill refrain from making any comments on your "as good writer as artist" line :)

The Abominations in ELH werent really templates. They were more like creation guidelines. I think that it could have been made a template, if it had a good number of variables.

I dont know why, but I have a strange fondness for templates. It offers varieties you dont find in ready-made monsters... sometimes I even wake up at night.. just thinking about templates... ahhh

Hi Clay_More mate! :)

Clay_More said:
Oh, you paint yourself.

Yes, although the art in the IH will be b&w, although I am capable of colour.

Clay_More said:
Did you do your own paintings for the monster contributions for the Scarred Lands monster book?

No. Maybe I probably could have if I had wanted, but that takes away time working on the IH.

Clay_More said:
I havent really seen examples of your art (that Im aware of), so ill refrain from making any comments on your "as good writer as artist" line :)

I don't think anyone has seen anything recent. I know S'mon has seen a lot of my past efforts and poilbrun saw a sketch I was working on for a prestige class a few months back, but other than that I have been doing more design that illustration over the past few years.

Clay_More said:
The Abominations in ELH werent really templates. They were more like creation guidelines. I think that it could have been made a template, if it had a good number of variables.

Well there are 20 divinity templates in chapter 2; 46 portfolio templates in chapter 3 and 7 monster templates in chapter 7. Is 73 enough for you?

...I have one more planned for the web enhancement. :p

Clay_More said:
I dont know why, but I have a strange fondness for templates. It offers varieties you dont find in ready-made monsters... sometimes I even wake up at night.. just thinking about templates... ahhh

If you're not careful you will turn into a template. :D

Clay_More

First Post
Its okay, I think thats enough Templates to sooth my achy-breaky heart.
You should post a picture or two here, you should have some done I presume. Give the crowd another thing to rant to you about ;)

Hiya mate! :)

Clay_More said:
Its okay, I think thats enough Templates to sooth my achy-breaky heart.

Glad to hear it! :D

Clay_More said:
You should post a picture or two here, you should have some done I presume. Give the crowd another thing to rant to you about ;)

I will post some on the boards when I get back from Gencon UK.

Clay_More

First Post
Well, youre always talking about other peoples pictures, might be suitable that you stop hiding yours :)
Who else of the regular crew are gonna be there at gencon? Anyone of the ppl who respond here? Grrrr.... I wanna go

Anabstercorian

First Post
Re: Re: Sounds like an outlier to me...

Anubis said:

Okay, there were six Level 20 Human Adepts. It was a standard combat, and I posted a lot of the variable stats above. Like I said, this is an expert group playing here. Vampire, Wizard, Half-Dragon Rogue, and Bard.

Anyway, in the first round, the Vampire got a couple good hits, nothing big. The Wizard cast I think Haste and a spell that required a Will Save at DC 24 or so, and the Adept made the save. Two of the Adepts cast Stoneskin, and two others cast Lightning Bolt. The Vampire didn't take much damage, but the Wizard got hit twice and was taken down to under 10, and the Rogue avoided with Evasion. This is when the battle turned around.

One of the Adepts cast Polymorph Other on the Rogue, he missed his save, and was turned into a Toad. The Bard tried to use Dispel Magic, but against DC 31, that was pretty futile. Next round, the Vampire hacked and slashed some more, and the Wizard cast a couple of instant death spells that didn't work. One required a Will save and the other the Adept rolled a 20. The Adepts go again, and use Polymorph Other on the Bard this time, turning her into a Toad as well.

Anyway, the Vampire was still doing okay, but the Wizard was about dead. It took three Adepts with Polymorph Other, but they finally turned the Wizard into a Toad as well, then fried her with Lightning Bolt. All of them used Polymorph Self to change into Fire Giants, and the Vampire was soon down to like 11. Anyway, after that, all the Adepts had Stoneskin on as well.

Anyway, the Vampire used Heal to stop the Wizard from dying, picked her up, and carried her out. For the first time ever, I got use out of the Hide skill as the Vampire hid next to the building. The other two Toads got out, but the Adepts were looking for the Vampire anyway. Next round, the Vampire took Dire Wolf form and got the heck outta there.

Like I said, PULVERIZED. The PCs had NO CHANCE.

They DID get revenge, a bit later, however, by using Control Weather to level the city with an F5 Tornado, but that's another story . . .

See, your problem is you were using insta-kill spells on enemies that probably had boosted saves, and probably low hit points as well. Additionally, they used broken spells (I used to use Polymorph Self regularly, but it made me feel dirty.) To be honest... I believe that your claim of NO CHANCE is garbage. That's why god invented the fireball spell. Not to mention that globe of invulnerability would nullify half their spell selection... I dunno. I still don't see it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Hi U_K! Hope you had fun at GenCon, er, UK...wow, that's an interesting little coincidence right there!

Anyway, just another oddball question about the IH: will there be rules for having mortals who exist on their own (that is, not created directly by a deity) become an avatar of a god if that god wishes them too? Or will it just be the old "deity manifests an avatar directly" like from D&Dg?

Thanks!

S'mon

Legend
Hi Alzrius mate! :) (U_K here)

Alzrius said:
Hi U_K! Hope you had fun at GenCon, er, UK...wow, that's an interesting little coincidence right there!

:D

Its been both good and bad. The slots are booked at awkward times, meaning we can't take an evening slot and get home.

Also some of the celebrities seem wasted:

I mean I attended a seminar with Jonathan Tweet yesterday about Ars Magica. They have the creator of 3rd Ed. at the show and there are no seminars about d20, 3.5 Ed. or similar.

But I did have a good chat with Todd Lockwood about possibly doing the cover for a certain book.

S'mon (who incidently teaches copyright law) startled one of the AEG guys when we were at their stand by saying "we were just wondering whether to sue you or not for using the 'worship points system' name" (a term they used on the back of their 'GOOD' supplement). But it all simply turned into an amicable discussion.

I also got chatting with someone from Dragon magazine about possibly submitting the CR/EL system. I'll chat more with them today.

Alzrius said:
Anyway, just another oddball question about the IH: will there be rules for having mortals who exist on their own (that is, not created directly by a deity) become an avatar of a god if that god wishes them too? Or will it just be the old "deity manifests an avatar directly" like from D&Dg?

It seems more like a case of terminology rather than mechanics.

I don't see why not (my own character Thrin has a quasi-deity called Vantor for all intents and purposes effectively acting as his Avatar).

So a mortal could indeed act as a deities Avatar. Whether or not the deity wanted to bestow any power to go with that responsibility is up to the deity.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
S'mon said:
It seems more like a case of terminology rather than mechanics.

I don't see why not (my own character Thrin has a quasi-deity called Vantor for all intents and purposes effectively acting as his Avatar).

So a mortal could indeed act as a deities Avatar. Whether or not the deity wanted to bestow any power to go with that responsibility is up to the deity.

Having thought about your answer some, you're right in that it probably is more of a case of terminology. The example you provided could just as easily have been a high-level proxy instead of an avatar.

Given that distinction, and how confusing it could otherwise become, with trying to show the differences between a mere cleric, a mortal proxy, and a mortal-imbued-avatar, its probably something best left alone.

Thanks anyway!

Remove ads