• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Imp as a familiar seems OP (observations and opinions)

Ah, very interesting. The description in my copy of the PHB (4th printing) is identical to the MM description. I looked in the errata, but no change was listed there. There was however, this

Although, I guess technically the description of Invisibility is not a 'statistic'. ;)

Mine is 1st printing, so it's all good with me if what I suggested wasn't legal. It just looked like it from what I had on hand. I still think the invisible full cover works on spells, but since my book has out of date information maybe that is wrong too.

CTurbo

Explorer
Having an Imp familiar has been a blast though for sure. I mean, it was supposed to be OP from the beginning, I just didn't realize just how OP it was going to be. As mentioned before, having an invisible flying polymorphing intelligent creature with little people hands can be a game breaker. Throw in it's other tricks and it can shut down entire encounters before they even start.

PotC Warlock takes Mage Initiate Feat, learns Mage Armor, applies it to Imp for 16 AC.
This with its Magic Resistance, Invisibility, Damage Resistances to cold, bludgeoning, piercing, & slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren't silvered, Damage Immunities fire and poison, and Condition Immunities to being poisoned make it less than squishy.

Mage armor on a familiar! Wow, I never thought of that! It will burn a spell slot but thanks for this. Until now I only use my Warlock's imp for scouting and 'sacrifices' him to gain advantage on an attack (expecting that the enemy can kill him once my familiar is near the enemy).

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Well, that's a problem with your DM's decision to treat lamp oil as equivalent to napalm. It's not an issue with the imp per se.

Don't get me wrong, by-the-book imp familiars are crazy-good, but this particular effect goes far beyond what the book supports or implies.

...however, if we coated the little bugger in magnesium filings....

Remove ads