• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Hextor's Name (Completed 22 Oct 2004)

Mortepierre

First Post
Lela said:
If it helps any, the 7% sounds like Kull's caster level (he went Templar, so it's lower than his level). In which case, that part's likely due to a spell. Which, in turn, indicates our answer is in the PHB.

Last time I checked, Kull was Cleric 8/Templar 1, so shouldn't it be 8% by your reasoning?

skullsmurfer

First Post
kULL is the man. i am very impressed by this story hour, i have never thought of playing an evil cleric, now i think that a templar or dark paladin might grace my table next game. thanks i look forward to the next installment

Lela

First Post
Mortepierre said:
Last time I checked, Kull was Cleric 8/Templar 1, so shouldn't it be 8% by your reasoning?

Yes, it would be then. In any case, I searched through the spells in the 3.5 SRD for the word "Death" and didn't find a Reflex Save anywhere. At this point I'm thinking Monster Manual. Either way, what about Negitive Energy? A kind of blast from that might allow a Reflex save.

Wish

First Post
If I had to guess, I'd say it was prismatic spray, sent to a random plane effect. That could hit a DC that high, it's reflex, and depending on your cosmology there would be about a 7% chance of ending up back on your own home plane. For somebody who can't yet plane shift, the other results are effectively death.

Lela

First Post
Wish said:
If I had to guess, I'd say it was prismatic spray, sent to a random plane effect. That could hit a DC that high, it's reflex, and depending on your cosmology there would be about a 7% chance of ending up back on your own home plane. For somebody who can't yet plane shift, the other results are effectively death.
That's the Violet Ray. Will Negates. (PHB p. 264)

Wish

First Post
Curses, foiled again. That's what I get for posting without my books in front of me. Thanks Lela. I'll totter off now to think up some other solution to this problem.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I can't think of anything that's Reflex save or die. Of course, it could simply be that he was low on hp and the Reflex save was for an evocation...but then why the 7% survival chance?

Glad to have got updated with the SH though! And vastly amused by Kull's 'omisions' from the Death Count.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Just got caught up on six months worth of story hour. Great updates; I enjoyed the clashes with the church hierarchy and thought the dwarf's description of the battle was priceless. It will be interesting to see what happens if and when the Church decides that Kull has gotten too powerful to be controlled.

Capellan

Explorer
Maybe the answer is too obscure? A challenge too great to overcome? Goodness knows, I never guessed. Can't you think what the answer might be? I thought you'd have it by now. That's proved to be wrong! Eventually you'll get it, though. Maybe the answer is in the somewhere in the System reference document. Virtually all answers are. I hope this message has helped.

Lela

First Post
Scarab of Death. DMG p. 275

SRD said:
Scarab of Death: This small pin appears to be any one of the various beneficial amulets, brooches, or scarabs. However, if it is held for more than 1 round or carried by a living creature for 1 minute, it changes into a horrible burrowing beetlelike creature. The thing tears through any leather or cloth, burrows into flesh, and reaches the victim’s heart in 1 round, causing death. A DC 25 Reflex save allows the wearer to tear the scarab away before it burrows out of sight, but he still takes 3d6 points of damage. The beetle then returns to its scarab form. Placing the scarab in a container of wood, ceramic, bone, ivory, or metal prevents the monster from coming to life and allows for long-term storage of the item.

Strong abjuration; CL 19th; Create Wondrous Item, slay living; Price 80,000 gp.
The only thing I can't figure out is the 7% chance of surviving. Part of the curse? Somekind of ward against death affects or Slay Living specifically? The person who threw it at him may have held on too long?

I do know it's somewhere in the DMG though. Any ideas?

Oh, and yes, the post was very helpful.

Last edited:

Remove ads