• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Hextor's Name (Completed 22 Oct 2004)

Capellan

Explorer
Lela said:
Scarab of Death. DMG p. 275

The only thing I can't figure out is the 7% chance of surviving. Part of the curse? Somekind of ward against death affects or Slay Living specifically? The person who threw it at him may have held on too long?

I do know it's somewhere in the DMG though. Any ideas?

In finding the first answer, you draw close to the second ...

But even if you can't get it, I think you all deserve an update this weekend, in any case :)

Barastrondo

First Post
Capellan said:
In finding the first answer, you draw close to the second ...

You are a cunning bastard, Capellan, and your clues are wonderful. Maybe, then:

An identify spell only has a 1% chance per caster level to reveal a cursed item’s true properties, including the cursed aspect.

Yes?

Capellan

Explorer
Barastrondo is correct. Identify has a 1% chance per level to reveal the true properties of a cursed item. Gnorric (puny, never turns up to the adventure weakling that he is) is a 7th level Wizard.

Oh, and you know how I said there were still two sessions left of the campaign? Well, it's actually three ... I'd forgotten that we found a whole bunch of new folks to kill, last game. :)

Capellan

Explorer
Lela said:
Hay! Where's that in the DMG? Grrr.

SPECIFIC CURSED ITEMS
Specific Cursed Items are provided as examples of cursed items. They are given creation prerequisites, should someone want to intentionally create them (although that does not need to be the origin of the item). Note, however, two exceptions: The crystal hypnosis ball and the bag of devouring cannot be created by any known means.
A simple detect magic spell yields a misleading aura and strength, often indicating that the item is a noncursed item of similar sort. An identify spell only has a 1% chance per caster level to reveal a cursed item’s true properties, including the cursed aspect. Analyze dweomer reveals the true nature of a cursed item.

That's the SRD text, from "magicitemsvi.rtf" ... I don't have my DMG in front of me, but it should be somewhere around page 274.

Lela

First Post
Ah, dangit, that counts. I meant the Identify spell specifically.

Either way, we solved your little riddle (admittedly, with clues). Now ON WITH THE UPDATES!

Capellan

Explorer
Kull's 14th Report - Part 1

Saltmarsh
Second Moon

To: Bishop-General Kartrak Visehart

Report from Kull Redfist

Sir,

As Captain-Prelate Bannerburn is about to return to your headquarters, I have decided to take the opportunity to prepare a report of the latest developments, for him to carry when he departs.

First, I must acknowledge the excellent work done by the Captain-Prelate in resolving the recent misunderstandings. I have no doubt that, with this matter behind us, we will all be able to work for the further power and glory of Our Lord Hextor.

After completing my previous report, I had intended to wait at the Beacon until Gnorric's arrival from Torlynn. However, when I contacted him after three days to learn his progress, I discovered that he had not even yet begun the journey. As I wished to ensure that I returned to Saltmarsh in time to meet your emissary, I decided to continue the exploration of the Beacon without waiting any further for the wizard.

My initial activities were conducted largely within the library, examining the books there for any indications of the purpose of the strange magic circle I had found in my previous exploration. Unfortunately, although the tomes covered many kinds of arcane lore, there was no information of immediate use.

However unlike Gnorric I had not been idle in the previous three days, and thus I knew there were still more avenues of exploration within the Beacon. I had spent several hours searching the building for any concealed rooms that might have been missed, and in the floor of the basement, obscured by dirt, I uncovered an ancient wooden trapdoor.

I thus led the way down through this door and into the chambers below. This proved to be a jail complex, consisting of a torture chamber, jailer's room, and five cells. Only one of the cells had any sign of a former occupant: a human skeleton lay sprawled within, clutching a gilt medallion. An undead apparition formed around this skeleton as we entered, but it could not stand against the Will of Hextor. I froze it in fear by invoking his name, allowing Dargrim and Ulfgar to readily destroy it,

Upon examination, the medallion proved to be a worthless bauble, possibly placed as the bait in the apparition's trap. If so, the trap misfired.

Two of the other cells proved to contain secret doors; an odd arrangement, to say the least. The first of these opened only into a small compartment, leading nowhere, but the second revealed a narrow tunnel, leading a considerable distance underground. I led the way along this path, and eventually began to hear the sound of guttural voices from ahead.

The echoes of the tunnel made the words themselves too indistinct to be made out, but the tongue sounded like one of the giantish dialects. I thus invoked the power of Hextor to grant us success in battle, and then we moved on, out of the tunnel and into a large cavern.

At one end of the cave were clustered a number of ogres, their leader arguing with a robed human. The cause of the disagreement appeared to be a lizardman, whom they had bound to a wooden pole. The other end of the cave did not appear to be occupied, though it had several tunnel entrance overlooking a small lake.

We struck the ogres with some element of surprise, swiftly felling two, but the enemy reacted swiftly. The human hurled fire, while most of the ogres charged into melee. One, however, hung back, blowing on a great metal horn.

The horn was answered by a bellow from the dark tunnels on our flank, and moments later, a white-skinned giant strode forth, clutching a huge double-handed axe. He was small for a true giant; perhaps ten feet in height, but still a mighty opponent.

Leaving Dargrim and Ulfgar to hold the ogres, I met the giant in single combat. Turning aside his first two blows, I aimed my own strikes at the axe he bore. My first blow fell just short of shattering the haft, but I did not make the same mistake twice: the axe broke, leaving him with only his fists against my flail.

He struck at me, leaving an opening in his defence: I smashed two of his ribs, suffering only a minor buffet in return. Without his axe, he could not hope to defeat me: I could see in his eyes that he knew it as well as I.

And then he bellowed his rage, and the roar was answered once more.

Another giant strode out of the darkness.

Remove ads