In Hextor's Name (Completed 22 Oct 2004)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I just read this entire story hour in one siting.

Time well spent, great fun!

I am looking forward to seeing the conclusion of this :)

Ancalagon

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I intend to.

I have read the first post, and how could I NOT read this?

A: it's about the church of St-Cuthbert. My PC in our main campain is a cleric of st-Cuthbert.

B: Said PC is (well was, his name changed but I won't get into that) named Cedric CROMWELL. It is a sign I say, a sign!

:)

Ancalagon

Capellan

Explorer
Kull's 15th Report - Part 2

As his familiar had failed to notice the threat of the air elemental, I resolved to give the wizard a chance to redeem himself, and instructed that the beast be sent into the shaft to determine its depth, and what lay at the bottom. It reported that the shaft descended some sixty feet, before entering into a cavern that was only about a foot high, though wider than it could sense.

This seemed a strange shape for a cavern, and after asking some further questions, I deduced that the 'floor' the creature was sensing was in fact liquid, mostly filling whatever lay below. Protected by spells of water-breathing and flight, I descended the shaft. About half way down, the magical darkness came to an end, allowing me to see as I progressed downwards, into the water below.

A search of the flooded cavern revealed nothing of import, except a flight of stairs leading up out of the water. I decided to explore these while I could, and discovered a small chamber at their summit, with another teleportation dais at the centre.

The chamber was also home to some kind of frog-like demon. I am no scholar, and I was not able to identify its specific breed. It must have been one of the lesser varieties, however, as it fell quickly to my flail

With the creature destroyed, I was able to examine the dais. It had only one rune upon it, of a different design to those in the chamber with the four statues. I thus returned to the darkened room and instructed the others to follow me below, so that we could travel to the destination of this new dais.

We were transported to a tiny room, with no visible exits, though there was a small peephole in one wall. Looking through it revealed what appeared to be a temple of some kind, though a statue obscured much of the view. Obviously if this room was intended to allow observation of the temple, it was in a most illogical place. Considering this, I realised that the statue had been placed to conceal the room, and that there must therefore be a secret door leading out of the chamber.

This proved true, and we emerged into the temple. Its design was typical of these foolish cults: an exaggerated statue of the cult leader at the head of the room, dominating a black-stained altar, with a few rows of supplicants' pews before them. On either side of these were more childishly carved statuary.

As we entered, a magical alarm began to sound, and I swiftly ordered a defensive position on the stairs leading to the altar. Dargrim, Ulfgar and I formed the front line, while the wizard and his companion stood behind, where they would not get in my way.

Darkness coalesced in the centre of the temple, and from it emerged a vulture-headed demon. As I wrote above, I am no scholar, but I know enough of the chaos-spawn to recognise the beast as a Vrock. The demon unleashed a fearsome howl as it emerged. Behind me, I heard the wizard cry out, but I had little time to spare for him: the doors of the temple burst open and several bandage-swathed undead lurched inside, also answering the peal of the alarm.

As the two dwarves charged forward to strike the Vrock, I channelled the power of Our Lord, sending the undead cowering back in awe of His might. With these enemies neutralised, the battle was quickly resolved: the demon could not stand alone against my forces, and was despatched.

Leaving the temple revealed that the doors opened onto a tunnel which led back into the room of darkness. The diseased nature of the cultists' minds can clearly be seen in the absurd architecture of their so-called Shrine. This was not the kind of structure to be built by sane and ordered minds.

Returning to the original room in which we arrived, I led an exploration of the remaining areas of the complex. There was little of interest in these chambers, though I did uncover information which suggested that the cult had not been active there for approximately one hundred years. There was however nothing to suggest why they had abandoned the place.

This done, we returned to the Beacon through the teleportation dais. The remaining locations we had not yet tried were "Swamp", "Island" and "Dungeon". The first and last of these led to the front gates of the Beacon, and the gaol beneath it, respectively. I chose not to activate the rune for the Island. All the information I have gathered to this date suggests that the wyrm that these fools of cultists follow makes its home on one of the Birch Isles, which lie just south-east of the Torlynn coastline. To rush into an encounter with such a creature would be to invite defeat.

Additionally, there is still the matter of the 'rogue' lizardfolk. If these are as numerous as I have been led to believe, then they represent a threat to Saltmarsh that must be addressed, one way or another.

I shall report my progress in this task in my next report.

In Hextor's Name,

Kull Redfist

Capellan

Explorer
Hi folks,

Just a note to let you know that there will probably be no updates for the next month or so. I only have one session to catch up, anyway, and we don't play again until September, but the main reason for the delay is some personal stuff that's going on. Good stuff, but stuff nonetheless :)

As a teaser, I can tell you that the session I still have to write-up includes:

- Lizardfolk
- Communes and divinations, oh my!
- Big news for Kull
- CR20 opponents!
- more death than you can poke a stick at :)

Lela

First Post
Capellan said:
- Communes and divinations, oh my!
- Big news for Kull
- CR20 opponents!
All three of these sound related. . .

I look forward to the first two most though. When Kull says hi to Hextor, what does Hextor say back?

Capellan

Explorer
In an amusing anecdote, we've scheduled the battle with the Dragon (and the very last session of Saltmarsh, ever) for October 2nd. This, it turns out, is "Worldwide D&D Game Day". We had no idea of this when we were setting up our game, but it seems a very appropriate day to take on the "Big Black".

Wish us luck :)

Update this weekend!

Remove ads